Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP (Development Thread)

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I wonder if there's an automated tool that spits out all the differences for each difficulty setting in each map. Would be very helpful for making sure every map has them somewhat thoroughly implemented..

I believe WadSpy should have what you're looking for. As an alternative there's this Doom Builder plugin that's easier to use, but you have to compile it yourself which can be cumbersome.

11 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I believe WadSpy should have what you're looking for. As an alternative there's this Doom Builder plugin that's easier to use, but you have to compile it yourself which can be cumbersome.

Awesome, thanks Andromeda! Just what I needed.

3 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

The question is, how the tool would decide which monsters and ammo should be removed have specific skill flags? 

Well actually, I just wanted a tool that tells me what's different between each difficulty setting for each map, however a tool that automatically attempts to implement them by removing stuff would be awesome as well! As you say though, it'd be hard to make sure the "right" stuff was removed.

Is it not too late to submit a map?

Map name: Cyber Factory

Music: F-Zero - Death Wind

Map: 13(for testing purposes as there were 12 maps submitted at the time before I started refurbishing this map) 

This was a map originally made for my "Hell on Phil" episode 1 project before I switch it from Doom 2 to Doom 1 and I couldn't find a place for it. I essentially refurbished it and has more polish than the original version.  

RudyPhil.zip

Edited by Philnemba : bad typo -_-;

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I completely forgot to post these screenshots of the HOM / inescapable hole issue in map12:

@TravyB I'm not actually sure how the setup should be changed to avoid this happening, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. Also I had basically no ammo almost the whole time, I would really appreciate some more being added in, even in Expert mode. I really struggle with it from a rifle start much more than in any of the other maps, so really it's just an attempt to keep the difficulty curve in check throughout the set.

So what seems to be happening is that everything works fine as long as you don't need to press the switch that raises the floors back up a second time, which would only happen if you intentionally did so while it was out of sight (due to infinite height stuff) or if someone got trapped down there after pressing the switch, which I did try to account for, bringing the floor back down a second time. Making it raise up that second time destroys everything in a way that seems borderline impossible to fix due to the relative complexity of the sectors. Unfortunately, there's no player-blocking flags for Boom that I can find so the simple solution of letting the monsters pass out of their closet but not letting the player in won't work. Honestly, I'm stumped. I think I commented here before that that whole area is far too complex for it's own good and is simply a case of my biting off far more than I can chew there. 

As for the ammo, I noticed I had a real tendency starting out to starve the player of ammo so that's just an error on my part. I think this was only the second or third map I finished? At any rate, I'll sprinkle more all throughout the map to compensate for that.

EDIT(as I write this all): I have fixed it in a sort of inelegant way by making that second lowering of the floor a Lift action as opposed to a Floor action, which brings down just enough of the floor to fit the player and bring it back up without ruining everything. I actually couldn't get my lone file of the map to load up correctly so I edited it within the link of the build you just posted. I'll upload it either tonight or tomorrow with a nice clear name so you know what it is. 

@Philnemba This is an excellent map! A bit of a nail-biter, I think it will end up somewhere in the second half of the set.

@TravyB Excellent, thank you for fixing it up. I found myself in that position totally by accident and wasn't even sure what I did initially to end up there. I'll test that area again while mashing all the walls like a confused goofball and if that doesn't cause any issues, I'll consider it fully fixed!

Quick update to both of my maps -

I noticed quickly in MAP11 (clearing) just how tight the ammo was on easy/normal difficulties. I've added some extra bullets and shells (mostly near the beginning, right as you head into the main building). I also adjusted the teleport spot for the SMM, based on some previous feedback that I forgot to address, just to make the SMM not quite a pushover (it's not a huge change in difficulty though).

With MAP14 (rumble), I felt that -- other than the cell ammo for the opening Cyberdemon(s) fight -- the resources across the map seemed pretty generous, even without exploration which can yield quite a bit of extra supplies. I've gone and added a few extra cell charges, and a cell pack (on the lower difficulties) for the opening Cybie battle. I'm hoping this clears things up for the most part. Let me know if you still feel that something else is needed for the map, I'm more than happy to tinker with it until it's right.

RJD_rowdyrudy2_update.zip

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

I'm actually completely fine with the way my map is right now. That being said, near the end, there are some pinkies that show up on a raised platform. Now, that's just a waste of ammo, since they can't hurt you. I just replaced them with 2 imps on HMP and up accompanied by 3 lost souls on UV.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eyR97pbN-MjYvO3PLAeox-nMlrbpX5PM/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully I didn't somehow screw anything else in the map up just by changing 5 things

Gave the first 10 maps a spin, so far I'm liking the set! The difficulty on UV is somewhat inconsistent though. Played it through with Crispy Doom, MAP08 being an exception (more on that below.) Here's the playlist.

The first two maps set up a leisurely pace, having that IWAD map feel and steady, good flow.

Third map amps up the difficulty a bit, adding a bit more monsters, coupling it with tight corridors. The layout stuck with me, very fun to traverse and wrapping in and around itself nicely (nicely done DavidN!) 

Fourth map is a bit feels a bit plain at times, compared the rest of what Doomkid has done. It doesn't have as many memorable parts as the rest, but isn't too long to overstay it's welcome. I did enjoy the outside area with the blue key.

Fifth map by Voltcom was darned dark, and made it a bit hazardous to move in due to hitscanners catching you off guard. I think this place could do with some light amplification goggles, or just a few increments brighter lighting. Gameplay was solid, though, so I feel it can stay as it is if other playtesters are satisfied. Difficultywise it was closer to MAP03.

Sixth map was a return to the style of the first two, a solid Doomkid map with a memorable soulsphere secret (that actually had some missing textures on the inner sector.)

Seventh map by riderr3 is another really dark map, but works maybe a tad better than MAP05, mainly because it has the goggles and the layout is open enough to engage the hidden mobs. Some really nice secrets here too! Took me a while to find where I should go, but this was mainly because I missed a progression cue as I was distracted by the simultaneously incoming threat. Good fun throughout, nonetheless!

At first I thought there had been some small hiccup with MAP08 by TravyB when I could no longer progress, but my suspicions were raised further when I found more and more switches that weren't working. Turns out that this map uses Generalized linedef actions to a very large extent, effectly making it a Boom map. What surprises me even more is that until now nobody seems to have noticed that. I feel it's proper to echo what Major Arlene said recently in the Mayhem 2020 thread that these maps should be tested mainly with the target port. And if not Choco beyond checking render issues, then at least Crispy (or PrBoom+ cl2, thanks Horus for the reminder) for gameplay testing. In any case, I played it with Eternity and found it to be an enjoyable romp, true to it's name. I was waiting for the overpowered berserk to be employed somewhere, and here we have one in full glory. Really entertaining to play!

Ninth map sends me back to the 90s with the Fear Factory midi. A+ for DKC flashbacks. The map itself was really meaty, and took me a few tries to get through. It's a significant difficulty ramp up from the rest, but I think it'd feel much more tolerable meatwise if there was a chaingun early on. Plenty of bullets forces the player to use the rifle, which is way too slow for this many mobs. Overall it was a very fun experience, and a solid entry from DFF!

The tenth map.. oh well, this was a surprise. I had played this map back before I did my submission, and had a lot of fun with it. I dunno though, I feel like some revenants creeped in from Sunder all the way here, because damn is it a tight one to get through on UV pistol start. The problem seems to boil down to insufficient ammo in the beginning, forcing you to ignore most of the mobs to get further into a safe spot. The amount of hitscanners makes the RNG factor much higher, and you just hope you can get through without getting hit too much. Once you get into the yellow key room, it calms down significantly, and the very last room is a breeze compared to the start. I'd love for someone else to play through this and see if they find it as challenging as I did (it might just be me), because it really amps up the difficulty in a very sudden fashion, compared to the previous Doomkid maps. It's still fun when all is said and done, but I feel the hitscanners and monster movement make the start a bit too random. Also, the exit linedef was apparently set to use instead of walkover.

I'll get to the rest later, MAP10 squeezed the juices out of me after a long session so I gotta take a break. I'm really enjoying it so far, good job guys! I've especially loved the midis so far, setting up the mood perfectly. 

Edited by Aurelius : Made some general edits to my somewhat stream of consciousness writing.

On 5/27/2020 at 12:59 AM, Doomkid said:

Been slaving away over this little sucker the last few days.. Got some notes about things that still need to be done, I'll go ahead and share the latest build (as of May 25th). The bulk of stuff is out of the way at this point, now it's all about attention to details and playtesting.

rudy2v10.zip - download it here

The to-do list:

== Mapping Improvements ==

-map02, improve water horizon effect, add minor hot start (to justify such an amped-up MIDI), add health bonuses to water

fall hole to give it more of a purpose

-map03, replace 4 medkits at end of David's map with lone Soulsphere (looks more appealing as a secret)

-map05, replace plasma with ssg and all cells with shells (too early for plasma), fix coke machine texture alignment, fix

minor VPOs

-map06, convert pointless window into stairs, fix HOMs on Soulsphere pedestal

-map07, fix stair texture alignment, make bridge raise higher (to be more obvious)

-map10, fix exit, add a secret or 2 (currently 0)

-map12, fix inescapable hole with big HOMs, not enough ammo

== Difficulty Settings Needed ==

Map01,

Map04,

Map05 (already partial but needs to be further implemented),

Map06,

Map08 (already partial),

Map09 (already partial),

Map10,

Map11 (just a touch more),

Map12 (also just a touch more),

Map14 (A _teeny_ bit more),

Map20 (Maybe just a little easier on easy settings? Maybe it's fine as-is though)

== General Notes ==

-Implement custom title and intermission screens

-Balance MIDI volume levels

-Fix bad light spreading (strobe effect) when the Chaingun is firing

-Implement the frakking FBLACK floor, solid black wall, and Oil Falls textures already!!

-Some maps are missing MIDI files

Current maplist, for those wondering:

Map01 - Storming the Bayside Base by Doomkid

Map02 - (untitled) by sluggard

Map03 - (untitled) by DavidN

Map04 - (untitled) by Doomkid

Map05 - (untitled) by Voltcom

Map06 - Clutch Cargo Hold by Doomkid

Map07 - Secluded Rifts by riderr3

Map08 - Cliffside Punchout by TravyB

Map09 - Security Station by DFF

Map10 - Plutonic Relations by Doomkid

Map11 - Clearing Inventory by RonnieJamesDiner

Map12 - Ambush by TravyB

Map13 - Mutagen Plant by Moustachio

Map14 - Rumble in the Canyon by RonnieJamesDiner

Map15 - Jungle Hijinx by Aurelius

Map16 - Grimm Sector by Doom_Dude

Map17 - Black Gold by DFF

Map18 - Drowning Pits by Solmyr

Map19 - (currently has MikeyScoots' map)

Map20 - Death God's Shrine by xdarkmasterx

*This maplist is most certainly still not finalized, some things will still need to be moved around.

I also would like to check in on @Philnemba @Mr.Rocket and @NeedHealth because you guys showed off some very interesting screenshots. Did you end up making any progress? It's no pressure of course, but I just wanted to follow up as you all showed interesting map snippets earlier in the thread!

...Also, as by far the saddest part of this post, I'm going to have to reject one of these awesome maps: The one recently submitted by @MikeyScoots. This is a beautiful map with excellent texture, an awesome "sense of place" and a perfectly reasonable and enjoyable difficulty curve. Monster placement was done with care, and despite a few (tiny) texturing flubs and unclosed sectors, I'm a big fan.

The only problem is, this map is nowhere near being within vanilla limits. The upper visplane limit for the vanilla EXE is 128 visplanes, but the majority of this map has the player seeing nearly 200 visplanes at any given time, and some areas are in excess of 300 visplanes (!)

With that said, to get this map to be vanilla-compatible, I'd have to completely mutilate it, and ruin it's current stylistic-and-clean look beyond recognition. I know I said I'm good at "vanillafying" maps, but usually those maps were "trying" to be vanilla and capped out somewhere around 150-160 visplanes, an amount that can conceivably be cut down without destroying the map's soul. That's just not an option here, cutting it down would basically be tantamount to completely destroying a perfectly good map.

I didn't want to reject this map because I really like it, so I sat on this decision for about 4-5 days weighing it up and considering my options... After taking a crack at cutting it down, that's what I realized that the time and effort could be spent making a new map that has vanilla limitations in mind from the get-go rather than bastardizing a perfectly good, albeit really limit-removing map.

Maybe it could be included as an "unofficial" side bonus map for ZDoom/PrBoom only or something. This is always the worst part of heading a community project, telling people their maps have to be rejected.. but usually it's because the quality is too low - This time it was the exact opposite, in a sense.

Here's a screenshot of the map in Visplane Explorer. Note the pinkish/reddish areas are crash spots, and the redder, the crashier:

damn.png.defa2d95e49ec581943a2d32e1528464.png

This makes me sad, only because I was actually TRYING not to go crazy. That is me keeping detailing at a mere minimum but its understandable. I still give permission for it to be gutted, or at the very least make a directors cut afterwards of rejected maps?

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I feel it's proper to echo what Major Arlene said recently in the Mayhem 2020 thread that these maps should be tested mainly with the target port. And if not Choco beyond checking render issues, then at least Crispy for gameplay testing.

Well for me this is why it is worth having dedicated playtester(s) for Doom projects with specific instructions on source port / settings etc.

Anyone else playing a beta (like me) is an informal tester who has their own preferences. At some point when playing the earlier beta of this project I switched demo recording from cl2 to cl9 because I couldn't complete the maps saveless anymore, so most likely that's why I didn't notice anything with that map. At the end of the day I don't find Crispy Doom fun to play with so I probably wouldn't have played this mapset at all otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Horus said:

At the end of the day I don't find Crispy Doom fun to play with so I probably wouldn't have played this mapset at all otherwise.

I actually keep forgetting PrBoom+ has the complevel 2 for limit-removing stuff. So yeah, that or Crispy. However, I don't think the differences are too large, and you get used a new source port fairly quickly if you give it a little time. In any case, I would say that for feedback purposes a good alternative to demo recordings is streaming and/or video recordings. Then you could keep using PrBoom+ cl2.

13 hours ago, MikeyScoots said:

This makes me sad, only because I was actually TRYING not to go crazy. That is me keeping detailing at a mere minimum but its understandable. I still give permission for it to be gutted, or at the very least make a directors cut afterwards of rejected maps?

I’ll definitely make sure this map sees the light of day - I’ll include it as a pack-I’m bonus. Maybe I’ll include a secret exit in one of my maps, using a line type that only works in non-vanilla ports - This way, vanilla players wont be able to access it from in game, thus avoiding crashes, but PrBoom and ZDoom players will be able to get there and enjoy the map seamlessly (so long as they actually find the secret, that is)

@Aurelius Your point about playtesting in Choco, vanilla or crispy is spot-on. For the first chunk I was testing everything in vanilla, but those damn ZDoom QOL improvements are great just for perusing a map! Resurrect, fly, kill monsters, and the monster/secret counter on the auto map are all features I’ve become far too dependent on for observing maps. (Though in cases like with Horus, I’m just glad to have gotten valuable feedback, port aside)

Returned to play yet another eight maps. I stopped there because I skipped MAP19 (my aim was to play the ones that will be included in the official compilation) and went in to try the xdarkmasterx MAP20 with predictable results. I got roughly halfway there monsterwise, probably two encounters away from the exit. I'll see if I can do it saveless later, but it's probably just outside my skill range. In any case, it seemed a really good challenge map, and would need to be evaluated by a played more comfortable with slaughter.

Back to the rest. My reviews here are short because I might just keep repeating the same things over and over, so I'll just keep 'em brief and mention things that bothered me and things I really liked. I'll have them more cohesive now too, and might at some point edit the post with earlier reviews to be similar. If you want more in-depth reviews on your maps, then message me on Discord or send me a DM and I can do that. Also, I played the compilation, so any updates to those maps unfortunately didn't get tested out. 

Anyway, here goes:

MAP11 by @RonnieJamesDiner is definitely the kind of map that to me is the essence of Rowdy Rudy. Fast run and gun action with a kickass midi in the background, much like what Doomkid started the set with. Memorable fights/areas were the harbor, doomcute office and air ducts. Loved it!

MAP12 by @TravyB has the some problem as the previous submission, which is the use of Generalized floor actions that don't work in Crispy or PrBoom+ cl2. Some misalignments here and there, but overall a fun collection of setpieces, with maybe a bit sloggish start with the elevated jungle alcoves. The visuals are top notch however, and I quite enjoyed the pace for the most aprt. The map ended a bit suddenly, I wonder if I missed something? Also, the AVs seem to get stuck in the stairs in the middle room. Dunno if this is intentional, but they're pretty easy to pick off from there.

MAP13 by @Moustachio I played before, and it's mainly the same. I like it for the most part, but the fighting in the jungle is a bit frustrating since you can't see too well. It makes aggressive movement very unmotivated, since the turreted monsters in the dark are too annoying to deal with on the go.  Anyway, I like the overall feel and visual look, though again a lot of that is hidden in the dark. The Predator noises really sell the ominous jungle feel here, as in other maps. A good entry, but a bit sloggish at times due to the aforementioned darkness.

Speaking of darkness, was there some private memo passed around about everyone making fights in dark, cramped corridors? Because this mapset seems to have them in abundance. 

MAP14 by RJD is a fun challenge map, and I probably tried to be fancier with it than I needed to be. Had a few close calls, but I really enjoyed the difficulty and openness with regards to encounters. And once again, solid visual look that is consistent with ethos of Rowdy Rudy. Fast paced gameplay and lot's of resources

MAP15 by yours truly. I've played this a bit too many times, so it's a lot easier than when you first get into it. I noticed that a major difference between this map and many of the others is the almost overabundance of resources (except maybe the RJD maps.) I still enjoy it as is, but might do some reductions here and there, and might even drop the berserk due to how OP it is. Also should delete that redundant green armor.

MAP16 by @Doom_Dude had some texturing issues, and I think the pitch black textures aren't displaying properly (and instead show the sky texture, this issue was visible in my map as well.) The map contains homages to the IWADs, probably more than I can put my finger on. The cautious nature of my playthrough is mainly because of the placement of this map in the set, as I assumed the serene gameplay would explode into something quite uncomfortable, but it never did. There was a cyber and an AV, so I suppose it's on the more "challenging side" compared to the earlier maps, but I still feel this would be better placed earlier in the set, maybe before RJD's MAP11. The gameplay was pretty casual, I liked the visual side of things, but the last mazey area took me ages to get around, and not always in a fun way.  Maybe this was the point, but personally I would maybe signpost progression points slightly better. Overall the map felt a bit plain in it's current placement, after the more challenging entries, and probably would fit nicely earlier on.

MAP17 by @DerFurer'sFace is another entry in the "dark, cramped fight" category. The map itself is short so it's not that bad, and I still suppose it's a valid strategy to create tension and difficulty in fights with impaired vision, but it's still not my cup of tea. It was an alright challenge, but I think I preferred DFF's earlier entry over this, even if it was a bit meatier.

MAP18 by @Solmyr was divisive. I very much like the setup where you need to keep moving with demons up your ass, but some of the monster choices weren't the best. The first hitscanner pillar with the RL could go either really well or really badly. This alone isn't a gamechanger, but couple with the rocket launcher dudes down the elevator that might launch right as you press the button, and you have no way to dodge them, make it a bit of an RNG fest to start with. I think out of the six attempts I died to them two or three times, which is a large percentage. You can of course approach the situation from the other direction, dropping down into the water earlier, but then you'd be working with severely limited ammunition.  The rest of the map wasn't nearly as challenging as the start, a trait shared by Doomkid's latest, though it again had one of those Dark Corridor FightsTM that everyone seems to love so much. I think the feeling of urgency didn't carry over well, but it was still a solid piece to the end. Moody visuals helped make it more fun.

So much for short reviews. Well, mostly there were nitpicks, but I still liked these maps, although the ramp up in difficulty is pretty steep between the early IWAD difficulty entries and the slaughter at the end. There were no bad maps, and it was very satisfying overall even with a few hiccups in the middle. Hopefully someone gets something out of the reviews and/or the playthroughs, and might get into testing some new maps too once they're added into a compilation!

@Aurelius I just played my map in the latest build and it appears that the lava texture [lava00] I used is now missing. Are those the pitch black textures I have that are showing as sky?

Not too sure what to do with the cavern maze area. I'll see if I can make it less confusing. Maybe the switch hunt portion needs to get ripped out. I dunno at this point.

As for the E1 Homage stuff. It was fun to build at the time. I don't normally add homage stuff to my maps.

@Aurelius Okay... I see you!!! Doing the Cyb/Elevator finale on MAP11 in one try, and two-shotting the Cybs at the beginning of MAP14. Alright, alright... haha :D

Thanks for the FDAs, fun to watch. Really glad to hear you enjoyed the maps! This was the third or fourth FDA now of MAP11, and I've still yet to see a player find even one secret on that map, I didn't think they were that cryptic /scratches head. Good learning lesson though, perhaps I need to signpost my secrets a bit better in the future. 

2 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

@Aurelius I just played my map in the latest build and it appears that the lava texture [lava00] I used is now missing. Are those the pitch black textures I have that are showing as sky?

Not too sure what to do with the cavern maze area. I'll see if I can make it less confusing. Maybe the switch hunt portion needs to get ripped out. I dunno at this point.

As for the E1 Homage stuff. It was fun to build at the time. I don't normally add homage stuff to my maps.

D'oh - Sorry about that Doom_Dude, I had to get rid of them because they didn't animate and unfortunately there's no free slots left since more animating flats can't be added to vanilla..

MAP15 by yours truly. I've played this a bit too many times, so it's a lot easier than when you first get into it. I noticed that a major difference between this map and many of the others is the almost overabundance of resources (except maybe the RJD maps.) I still enjoy it as is, but might do some reductions here and there, and might even drop the berserk due to how OP it is. Also should delete that redundant green armor.

I love the amount of resources present so if you do that, can you please do it on expert only? For the easier settings, I really want to err further on the side of too easy than too hard.

59 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Okay... I see you!!! Doing the Cyb/Elevator finale on MAP11 in one try, and two-shotting the Cybs at the beginning of MAP14. Alright, alright... haha :D

Thanks for the FDAs, fun to watch.

There were some sweaty palms that day, but I was happy to make it out in one go. The MAP14 one is not technically an FDA since it's far from the first attempt. I think with the provided cell ammo I could've been sloppier with the cybies, but since I was recently called out for my inefficient cyberdemon killing strategies while testing the 1K Lines 2 alpha maps, I had to amp up my game :P Took a few tries though.

59 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

This was the third or fourth FDA now of MAP11, and I've still yet to see a player find even one secret on that map, I didn't think they were that cryptic /scratches head. Good learning lesson though, perhaps I need to signpost my secrets a bit better in the future. 

I wasn't that thorough about finding the secrets. If you'd like, I can give it another spin at some point and really try to find it and let you know if it's too obscure. However, as far as secrets go, nothing is too obscure in my books, so I'm sure it's fine as it is.

Oh and @Doomkid I won't mess with the lower difficulties that much, I was mainly thinking UV here. And I do agree that having more is better - not every map needs to be super tense.

Edited by Aurelius

I didn't realize that generalized actions weren't able to be used, all the limitations of this or that thing at this or that comp lvl still confuse the hell out of me lol 

Will I have to try and change them, @Doomkid?

10 minutes ago, TravyB said:

I didn't realize that generalized actions weren't able to be used, all the limitations of this or that thing at this or that comp lvl still confuse the hell out of me lol 

Will I have to try and change them, @Doomkid?

For the sake of vanilla compatibility I'd say yes, but if you don't understand the compatibility stuff I'll go ahead and take a crack at it first. I couldn't even tell non-vanilla functions were being used at all, which to me says fixing it should hopefully not be too hard.

1 hour ago, TravyB said:

Live and learn, it's no problem. Basically generalized actions are for Boom compatible maps. If you want to make a purely vanilla map and not accidentally use actions it doesn't support, you should choose Doom : Doom 2 (Doom format) from the dropdown menu in the editor when you create your map, as opposed to Boom : Doom 2 (Doom format) which it often defaults to (or Doom : Doom (Doom format) if you're making an Ultimate Doom map).

If you need help with converting stuff into vanilla, I'm more than happy to help as well.

Edited by Aurelius

If you'd like, I can give it another spin at some point and really try to find it and let you know if it's too obscure.

Oh that's not necessary, I appreciate the offer though!

The linedef 721 on Map 4 doesn't seem to do anything. Looks like Tag #2 is missing.

Spoiler

image.png

Map 8 doesn't have Player 2-4 start points.

Edited by Dimon12321 : Switch image host to free DW attachment space

How long do we have left as a deadline? I'm on the fence now as to what to do with this cavern maze area at the end of my map that people find to be a drag to play through. At least three reviews now have said the area is not that fun / confusing to navigate / etc... I thought it would be an interesting area that wouldn't take too long to travel through. Maybe it's too convoluted with the switches. Not sure anymore.

It's alrighty Doom_Dude, there's really no strict deadline, I just wanted to get to a certain benchmark by the end of May - which we've now gotten to, so take your time implementing any changes you might see as necessary!

15 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

How long do we have left as a deadline? I'm on the fence now as to what to do with this cavern maze area at the end of my map that people find to be a drag to play through. At least three reviews now have said the area is not that fun / confusing to navigate / etc... I thought it would be an interesting area that wouldn't take too long to travel through. Maybe it's too convoluted with the switches. Not sure anymore.

Gave you a few ideas on Discord, but I'll type them out here.

I don't think you necessarily need to adjust the geometry of the maze. I mean, isn't it partly the purpose of a maze to be confusing? Ultimately it's a juggle between not making it too obvious and leaving it too obscure. What I've noticed is that if obscure is not your direct goal (I sometimes do it on purpose), hints are the way to go. Maybe put some candles close to some of the switches or junctions to those switches to catch players' attention? I doubt it would detract from the experience too much.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It's alrighty Doom_Dude, there's really no strict deadline, I just wanted to get to a certain benchmark by the end of May - which we've now gotten to, so take your time implementing any changes you might see as necessary!

Ahh ok, very good. By the way, no problemo with the texture thing. That's an easy fix.

Gave you a few ideas on Discord, but I'll type them out here.

I don't think you necessarily need to adjust the geometry of the maze. I mean, isn't it partly the purpose of a maze to be confusing? Ultimately it's a juggle between not making it too obvious and leaving it too obscure. What I've noticed is that if obscure is not your direct goal (I sometimes do it on purpose), hints are the way to go. Maybe put some candles close to some of the switches or junctions to those switches to catch players' attention? I doubt it would detract from the experience too much.

Right, I haven't looked at Discord much today, so didn't see that yet. Thanks for the feedback, what you said makes sense. I'll see what I want to do in the next day or so. ;)

Map 1 can't be played in PrBoom+ using -complevel 17 (aka. latest PrBoom+). I don't know what's wrong since it plays just fine using -complevel 2, 9 and 11 with or without -longtics. The rest of the maps start just fine with any complevel.

Spoiler

image.png.080a79bcf88e850376b80f890dded492.png

This error happens if I start Map 1, either from the Main Menu or using -warp 1 command.

The ceiling texture on Map 16 is kinda odd. During my first walkthrough, I thought it was intended to be like that, but now I hesitate. Is it supposed to be like that?

Spoiler

bugged-ceiling.png

@Doom_Dude, yes, I'm playing the latest build - v10.

Edited by Dimon12321 : Switch image host to free DW attachment space

@Dimon12321 No, it's not supposed to look like that. It was a texture bug that has been fixed in a more recent build. Are you playing rudy2v10.wad? If the bug is still there let us know and please post an automap screen.. I honestly can't pinpoint where you're at in the screen.

Meanwhile, I added some structures to the entry to each switch area that is unique to each one. Complete with @Aurelius candles. ;) Should make the caves more easier to navigate. There's only 3 switches so that was an easy fix.

ToE6nFH.jpg

Edited by Doom_Dude