Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP (Development Thread)

On 1/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, Doom_Dude said:

Here is my map ---> grimsector.zip

Made it as map13 but don't mind where it ends up in the map order. Calling it Grim Sector. It ended up being a bit longer than what I planned.. The start and exit are all set for DoomKid to do what he needs to set up. Some flats will be changed once DoomKid gets around to adding them, but that won't take long to fix up.

I loved this map. Excellent. 

On 1/25/2020 at 11:59 PM, TravyB said:

I loved this map. Excellent. 

Oh hey, thanks @TravyB. Somehow missed your post on Saturday.

Great maps again :) Been a while since I posted a video, but here are Death God's Shrine and Grim Sector!

Good job on the reviews DavidN as usual. Just waiting for Doomkid to put together the lastest build so I can do the final touches to my map.

Hope Doomkid is alright down under.

Wonder how Mr Rocket is doing with his map.

Hey guys, don’t mind me, just being awol again. Spent 4 days out of town taking care of a whole buncha shit. I meant to have another build made by now (d’oh). It’s coming very soon!

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hey guys, don’t mind me, just being awol again. Spent 4 days out of town taking care of a whole buncha shit. I meant to have another build made by now (d’oh). It’s coming very soon!

No rush, hope you're doing well!

Just popping back in with a quick update on my second map -- it's basically reached a playable state, so I'm just going to release it for now and update/tweak it as needed based on testing & feedback. I've run it through ChocoRenderLimits several times, and there is the odd HOM in very specific places/angles, but unless they become too egregious to other players, I'm probably not going to fight with them anymore. Otherwise, the map is completely vanilla compatible.

Title: Clearing Inventory

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Tested in: ChocoRenderLimits, GZDoom

MIDI: "Cacophony of Asian Donut Shops" by @AD_79

Download: Dropbox link

2mycbyA.png

Say @RonnieJamesDiner I was wondering, how do you get that soulsphere on the dangerstripe platform other than by jumping across?  Anyhow, like I said on Discord, last Sunday, cool map. :D Look forward to watching @DavidN playing your map.

Wonder where Mr.Rocket got to and how he's doing with his map. He hasn't been on since December 20th. :/

This looks like so much fun.

¿Do you still accept submissions? I would like to map something for this project.

Sure, there's still room for more. We could use another small map, just to help break up the pacing. Looking forward to seeing what you make!

Making the final touches to my map now. Made a couple secrets a little more noticeable and I'm slapping some of the new flats in place. :)

Demos for first two levels attached

Level 1: Once you're through the exit door you can't get back. I played this on HNTR as I forgot to change the difficulty in my BAT file. This is an FDA

Level 2: Switched to UV for this one. The fake wall used for the water was a bit annoying tbh, especially for the last rocketman battle. Why not put something tangible there to make the wall real instead? Also there seemed to be a random waterfall drop that didn't go anywhere or give you anything other than a teleport straight back up again. Not an FDA, my previous attempts got overwritten for some reason even though I saved, hmm..

0_demos.zip

13 hours ago, Horus said:

Why not put something tangible there to make the wall real instead?

The idea was that it would look like its extending to an ocean, I guess that wasn't enough to communicate that players aren't meant to go there lol, I'm thinking another one of those fence textures I used for the upper area will do the trick.

E: I updated it, it should be good now, and I also got rid of that pointless teleport and raised the water there instead. @Doomkid just tagging you to let you know I uploaded a new version to download (sorry for the tag)

Edited by sluggard

Hey @Doomkid, we have some tutti-futti to kill. ;) Seems the new flats are in the wad twice and the 2nd pair is .png so ChoRenderLimits is having a party.

For anybody using the new flats and want a quick fix, go into rudy2v8.wad and delete the .png's of adrok2, adrok3, camo_cn1 and slad_gr1. :D

This all reminded me that I wanted to use that slad_gr1 in a couple spots.

Another fun watch with @DavidN testing RJD's Clearing Inventory!

Edited by Doom_Dude

Demos for Levels 3,4,5 attached

Level 3: The Plasma Gun & Megaarmor secret could be hidden better - I found it from the automap. This one is an SDA.

Level 4: Same thing as Level 1 with the exit door not being openable from the other side. This one is an FDA.

Level 5: Health could do with rebalancing on this one, I was so starved for it I was playing a very campy game. Then right at the end I'm suddenly flushed with health, getting both a Berserk and Soulsphere for 200% health, with only like 3 enemies left to kill. This one is an FDA.

In general, enjoyable stuff so far, good job

0_demos.zip

Demos for Levels 6,7,8 attached. 

Level 6: Liked the soulsphere secret on this one

Level 7: Good use of lighting to add tension here, just a bit odd to have the flamethrower turreted in the starting area where it can't really hurt you. Levels are getting harder now so I switched to cl9 so I can save/load

Level 8: No complaints here. Loved the start with the demons feasting on the corpse pile. Tyson gameplay was sweet too

In general I'm a big fan of the new monsters

0_demos.zip

Demo for Level 9 attached

Welp, was bound to happen eventually. After 8 enjoyable levels, I just didn't get on with this one at all. 

It's a huge jump in difficulty from the first 8 levels - I don't know if the levels following it keep this pattern or if it's a one-off but I barely died at all the previous 8 maps but here I died all the time.

The first thing I don't like is the Plasma Guys sniping you from positions you can't see because your vision is obscured by plants. And a flame caco prevents the 'go straight out into the open' strategy. This sniping effect is seen throughout the map (albeit without the obscured vision), especially in the BK area where you have sniping revenants too. 

Then elsewhere in the map just seems full of traps of the 'killed you first time, now try again' variety, pretty difficult to overcome unless you know what's coming. 

With freelook on, this map is probably a lot more enjoyable. But as a 'vanilla compatible' mapset I'm guessing this isn't intended. I really liked the plasma gun secret, but like with level 5, it just comes too late to be that useful - how I would have loved the plasma gun in some of the earlier duels.

0_demos.zip

Well, yeah. According to ultimate gzdoom builder the most extreme areas (to the right) gives about 120 visplanes. I have an idea of to finish this map.

NH_RR20.png

Demo for levels 10 & 11 attached (DNF).

Level 10: Easier than level 9, but still harder than the first 8. Not nearly as frustrating, though I didn't appreciate those two arch viles ganging up on me on the central starting area like that after you get the YK. It's the kind of encounter that's almost impossible on the first encounter if you just run straight past like I did on the first try (because they can both fry you before you get to cover, and even if you survive they revive more stuff than your ammo can handle), but much easier once you know what's coming. Ammo is tight, but just about okay I think. 

The ending area had a few texture misalignments, and then I couldn't exit the level. A quick look at the editor tells me the exit linedefs are triggered as S1 Exit Level, which should be W1 Exit Level instead.

Level 11: The Flying Mastermind is too easy to kill with the plasma gun in my view. I just stand there and shoot plasma cells and it's constantly stunned so it can't even hurt me. 

On the flip side, the ending arena is really tough, with the cyberdemon in close quarters, and spawning archies. I was ready to DNF it to be honest, then got incredibly lucky with the demons pressing the cyberdemon into a wall where it was stuck and couldn't retaliate.

0_demos.zip

Edited by Horus

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like my map Horus. I disagree about the plasma snipers and I find they keep the player moving in open areas (none are out of reach).
That being said many of my traps did seem to box the player in with not enough ways out. So i did decide to make some adjustments to my map:

Spoiler
  • Changed armor dynamics, experimented with the idea of giving the player mega armor at the beginning, and removing most of the green armors but adding more armor bonuses, rewarding the player for avoiding hits by slowly replenishing their supply more often.
  • Removed a few enemies and changed others. main changes around the blue sewer trap and the spider mastermind switch trap
  • Changed some ammo and health around
  • Changed the chainsaw secret to a earlier plasma gun secret. Figured a chainsaw wasn't terribly useful in a map with lots of snipers
  • lowered the 2nd revenant tower because it was too high to reliably shoot the revenants

heres a re-link
I do like my maps to kill me on UV, but I did find many of the traps punishing. After my changes I only died one or two times so hopefully this is better.

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

Horus - Thanks so much for these demos and the detailed feedback you're leaving, it's immensely helpful.

NeedHealth - I'm really looking forward to giving your map a whirl, looks interesting based on that automap.

DerFurer'sFace - Great to see an updated version of the map. I really enjoyed it too, but I suppose the difficulty was a bit of a jump where I have it positioned. I'll try out this new version shortly!

No problem Doomkid

Levels 12, 13 and 14 demo attached.

Level 12: I don't know what happened in the marble hub but I got stuck in a sea of HOMs when pressing the switch in the central area to rise back out of it, and had to press the linedef where the switch was to get myself out again (honestly I'm glad that worked because I thought I might have to DNF this map). Also a bunch of texture misalignments with the marble bricks and marble grey textures. A couple of flamethrowers were used at long range so were ineffective.

The starting area and the outdoor section is pretty campy (not sure if this is a bad thing though, more of an observation). When you get into the marble area the gameplay changes significantly and becomes more open.

Level 13: Pretty intense map, the invuln lures you into a false sense of security. Only bug I found was a stuck imp in the area by the YK

Level 14: Jesus I called the last map 'pretty intense' but it's nothing compared to this...a bit much to have these two maps back-to-back? I don't know, let's see what's afterwards. The two cybers can kind of box you in the plasma gun area if you're unlucky. Platforming sections were cool. There was a stuck revenant on one of the platforms that you traverse around to get the other side of the MIDGRATE. 

0_demos.zip

Edited by Horus

Some more things about the monsters whilst it's on my mind

The baron of hell seems to take longer to kill (and it's a grindy monster as it is). Is that because its HP is higher, or the damage output of weapons are lower? Or am I just imagining things..

Secondly, the flame caco. It seems to have two possible types of attack, the flamethrower and the flame ball. Is it possible to make it so that it does the flame ball above a certain distance from the player and the flamethrower below a certain distance? I notice it seems to unleash a lot of harmless flamethrower attacks because it is too far from the player

17 minutes ago, Horus said:

The baron of hell seems to take longer to kill (and it's a grindy monster as it is). Is that because its HP is higher, or the damage output of weapons are lower? Or am I just imagining things..

Secondly, the flame caco. It seems to have two possible types of attack, the flamethrower and the flame ball. Is it possible to make it so that it does the flame ball above a certain distance from the player and the flamethrower below a certain distance? I notice it seems to unleash a lot of harmless flamethrower attacks because it is too far from the player

The Baron is totally unchanged. I felt like taking him down with the SSG felt pretty good - all the weapons have a much higher DPS than their vanilla counterparts, so if anything he should feel less grindy.. I’m worried if I weaken him or pump up the weapons any further, it might break balance, but I’ll see if I can’t find a good solution to this.

With the flame cacos, Unfortunately, by the nature of how vanilla works, the flame attack and the little ball are actually just one long attack sequence. The whole reason he has the ball is so he can at least attempt to do a little damage from afar, but it’s pretty futile most of the time.

Hmm, I suppose it could be the automatic nature of the weapons and how it impacts my playstyle, I’ve noticed while playing I’m less choosy with my shots because of it

EDIT: Demos for all levels attached

Level 15: Map by Aurelius....hmm reminds me I still have Remnant on my list of maps to play. I think it's safe to say I savescummed the YK part of this.

A few comments:

- The soulsphere at the start - is that meant to be tagged as a secret? Felt like it should be

- I don't think I played the berserk section the way you intended :P I killed the baron and toxicaco then corner camped with the fists and cleared everything out without taking damage

- Likewise I managed to continuously stun that first cyber, but probably that's just pot luck as opposed to anything wrong with the map itself

- There was a stuck toxicaco in the BK switch area

- Not sure about the BFG and plasma ammo placement. Feel like it's a bit pot luck as to whether you get there without dying, especially as ammo is otherwise so low. That could just be me being a noob though

Level 16: DNF for real this time, I got stuck on one of the cave endings and couldn't get out (I had no rockets so couldn't kill myself). I can see why the level order for this one is a bit up-for-debate. That said, breather maps are good to have sometimes.

Sadly another level I didn't particularly enjoy. It was still a difficult level, but this time mainly done through health and armor starvation, which isn't great on a map with so many hitscanners. The toxic refinery tribute, I mean I get it, but I feel it's been done enough already. The cave section was a bit of a slog, thinly populated with individual monsters, then the cyber which was just annoying given the lack of weaponry to deal with it and the fact that the caves aren't particularly wide.

Level 17: The slaughtermap. The demo I've attached here is on HNTR. I started on UV, cleared the first room, but then the next big battles were too much for me and I didn't want to spend hours on this level so I started from scratch on HNTR. Is the difference normally so stark? It was like playing a completely different level. Yes my health was low at the start but I didn't die once, this was massively easier. Kinda wished I'd chosen HMP now lol.

Overall: Not sure how many levels are expected after this but based on what I've played it has potential to be one of the better community projects this year, I particularly enjoyed the first half (but the second half had some good levels too). Highlight for me for Cliffside Punchout by TravyB. The new monsters are a definite strength of this project, and I like the modified weaponry too (except for maybe the BFG). I did find the levels a bit samey in terms of aesthetic, particularly the vine textures felt like they were used a lot.

0_demos.zip

Edited by Horus