Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP (Development Thread)

Thanks for the playthrough Horus! I was just about to start making small changes to my submission and finalize it, so this feedback comes at a perfect time.

9 hours ago, Horus said:

The soulsphere at the start - is that meant to be tagged as a secret? Felt like it should be

I feel this "secret" is so obvious that I didn't want it tagged secret. I mean who wouldn't interact with a diabolical toilet?

9 hours ago, Horus said:

I don't think I played the berserk section the way you intended :P I killed the baron and toxicaco then corner camped with the fists and cleared everything out without taking damage

Yeah, this was not intended, but I made some edits and this shouldn't be possible this time around. It's a shame that pretty much every playtester seems to ignore the berserk because they don't need the health, even though it's hella fun smacking demons with it. 

9 hours ago, Horus said:

Likewise I managed to continuously stun that first cyber, but probably that's just pot luck as opposed to anything wrong with the map itself

This is an issue with some source ports that demons get kicked down from ledges without Block monster -flags. Also fixing this :)

9 hours ago, Horus said:

Not sure about the BFG and plasma ammo placement. Feel like it's a bit pot luck as to whether you get there without dying, especially as ammo is otherwise so low. That could just be me being a noob though

Well, if you are observant you'll notice the BFG beforehand and might then expect it to lower when shit hits the fan enough. But that area I am revising a bit in general, so I might try to communicate that a bit better in any case.

Thanks for the feedback though, hope you'll enjoy Remnant once you get to it!

On 2/20/2020 at 10:02 PM, Horus said:

Sadly another level I didn't particularly enjoy.

Great.

It was still a difficult level, but this time mainly done through health and armor starvation, which isn't great on a map with so many hitscanners.

I've added health to the map since I started tweaking it a few days back, especially in the caves.

The toxic refinery tribute, I mean I get it, but I feel it's been done enough already.

I added the tribute to the toxin refinery because I felt like doing so and it's not something I've done before, so at least I have that going for me which is nice.

The cave section was a bit of a slog, thinly populated with individual monsters, then the cyber which was just annoying given the lack of weaponry to deal with it and the fact that the caves aren't particularly wide.

Some more ammo and health in next version and easier to find secrets. The BFG is in a secret area in the caves, tho it seems nobody has found it. Additional ammo and health might make it less of a slog, I dunno.

Almost got Grim Sector finished.

• Used the flats that Doomkid added to the project.
  • Made three secrets easier to spot.
  • Added more ammo, armor and health throughout, tho mostly in the caves.
  • After entering the caves there's a blue armor behind a new crate now..
  • Further into the caves I placed a rocket launcher.
  • Fixed some texture unalignments.
  • Changed the textures inside the cave room with the barrier switch to match the exterior.
  • Added a few more torches in the caves.
  • Changed a few hitscanners in the caves into blood demons.
  • Two Toxicacodemons only appear on hard now and are something else on easier modes.

I just have to do some play-testing on it.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Maybe it concerns the engine itself rather than the map, but I found the light spreading weird at times.

When I shoot, the light in the whole room turns from dark to bright for like 1 frame and then turns dark again until the next shoot happens.

I tried the same in original Doom and the light turning is smooth there. If you shoot from a chaingun, you can keep the room bright without seeing these single-frame flashes "bright-daaaark-bright-daaaark-bright-daaaark".

Edited by Dimon12321 : video has been removed

Wow, I think that could probably give some people seizures because it's so intense. I'll look into fixing it, glad you brought it to my attention!

I never did find a midi track for my map. I had one but then found it kinda annoying so gave up. I always find looking for music for maps to be annoying. Maybe Doomkid has something in his midi bunker... ;)

I had a bit of time to return to my map and tweak it based on feedback. I feel it's now it's best iteration, and most likely the last unless something game breaking occurs. Big thanks to @Doom_Dude for playtesting this version!

Changes range from small visual ones to larger gameplay tweaks for better flow, QoL features for observant players and a little ramp up in difficulty, though it's still front heavy in that department.

@Doomkid A small thing I'd like to mention that most likely will not be something that can sensibly be addressed: the map was designed around the white sky / black mountains look, and hence the style changes quite drastically when the map is in it's MAP15 slot and has a different sky. I am guessing many other people might have the same issue if their map was designed on the MAP01 slot. Perhaps the skies could be made more uniform - having that same serene feel to them? This of course depends on your overall plan, but thought I'd mention this. I'm happy with whatever sky you'll end up choosing.

junglehijinx1.8.zip

You make a great point about the skies, I’ll make sure your map has a sky with grey clouds and a mountain range just to remain consistent.

I think I’ll have unique-but-similar skies for each map and just call it a source port only feature. Playing in vanilla will just result in the E1 sky which will still suit the vibe of each map.

I think the music for Map 2 doesn't suit it well. I like "Goin' Down the Fast Way", but it's a little heavy, tense and adrenaline for it. Map 2 is not overcrowded with monsters and is pretty straightforward. It's a right music for something like Vanguard's Map 7.

Guys, what do you think about it?

i liked the first rowdy rudy just played it recently i cant wait.. but i have to :p... for the 2nd... i will follow this!

Name: Drowning Pits

Map: MAP01
Music: "Deadly Towns" by James "Jimmy" Paddock
Coop: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 19 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder
Tested With: Chocorenderlimits 1.5.0, PrBoom+2.5.1.7, Crispy Doom 5.5.2, Doom2 v.1.9

Here's my submission (final reupload): https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p14rxguzu1wj0x/Drowning_Pits.wad?dl=0

Mer19bz.png

Edited by Solmyr : Map reuploaded: minor touch ups on key areas.

Sorry, I've been so out of the loop lately.. r/l stuffs..

I'm glad to see the project is still going though!

What's my time frame? or is there any time left?

My map is basically as it was the last time you saw it. :\

It's okay Mr.Rocket, I'm just glad to see you active again!

The project is what I'd call about 60-70% complete at this point with loads of small improvements still needed - implementing all difficulty levels in all maps, making sure the difficulty ramp-up is sensible, etc. In other words if you can get something to me in the next ~3 months, that will be just fine.

@Solmyr I really like your map! It’s quite difficult, I died a few times and various parts of the map, but it never felt unfair. In the dark tunnel after the area where the water drains I got lost, eventually realising I had kept dumbly skipping a small door with a chain gunner in front of it. I’m wondering if something can be done to ‘highlight’ the path to that door for us less observant players?

Other than that I really enjoyed it, great visuals, great MIDI choice, all really well done!

Edited by Doomkid

Thanks! I was worried that the map would turn out very difficult, or players might cheese the tunnel area by running straight trough. 

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I’m wondering if something can be done to ‘highlight’ the path to that door for us less observant players

I'll see what i can do about it. Maybe a light source, or some changes on the layout to make it stand out, will do. 

Gave up on my old map. Wasn't happy with how it progressed. Been toying on and off with trying to make a map for this project. We'll see.

Looking really good! I had compiled a rough new build incorporating Solmyr’s map before I started having computer troubles. Soon as I’m able, I’ll update it once again and post a build with every map submitted to date.

Theres still a lot of fine-tuning to be done, but I see the finish line on the horizon!

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Looking really good! I had compiled a rough new build incorporating Solmyr’s map before I started having computer troubles. Soon as I’m able, I’ll update it once again and post a build with every map submitted to date.

Theres still a lot of fine-tuning to be done, but I see the finish line on the horizon!

Thx man, just making sure of one thing. I played map 09 and immediately idclev'd outta there after 3 mins. Making sure that you want modest gameplay, E1/plutonia difficulty correct?

@Bloodskull it seems that many people have commented on the difficulty of my map. I’m sad that few seem to want to play it, but could you describe what was the turn off? I already went through once to tone down monsters and up armor and health.

There are features I’d like to keep in, but I’d rather people actually enjoy the maps I make so any feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: I downloaded the current beta and found it doesn't have my most up-to-date version of security station as I changed a bit of balance and added blue armor into the start. hopefully you were talking about the version in beta 8. Hopefully the latest version is incorporated into the next beta @Doomkid If you need a relink I can but should be on page 9. The only change i could see to that version is maybe the rocket men at the start could be replaced/removed.

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

There was some small tweaks I wanted to make anyways so here's V5. Only major changes include an added early berserk secret and removal of the flame caco in the beginning, other monster changes were slight and mostly concerning the beginning area.

LINK

@Bloodskull That’s totally fine, the first half of the set will be easier in general than the second half, so I’ll make sure your map ends up surrounded by other maps of similar difficulty, probably around slot 6, and DFF’s map can be put a bit further back so it’s also among maps of similar difficulty.

@DerFurer'sFace The previous version you posted was in a build that I unfortunately haven’t able to share - this latest version will definitely be incorporated when I’m able to get back to it. I’m sorry for the delays and confusion. I think your map looks and plays really well, if others are finding it difficult I’ll simply move it further into the pack. There’s meant to be a pretty big difficulty ramp throughout the set.

Ill make sure everyone’s map gets an appropriate sky as well using a Mapinfo lump, so don’t worry about the skies being mismatched based on their place in the wad.

20 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@Bloodskull it seems that many people have commented on the difficulty of my map. I’m sad that few seem to want to play it, but could you describe what was the turn off? I already went through once to tone down monsters and up armor and health.

There are features I’d like to keep in, but I’d rather people actually enjoy the maps I make so any feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: I downloaded the current beta and found it doesn't have my most up-to-date version of security station as I changed a bit of balance and added blue armor into the start. hopefully you were talking about the version in beta 8. Hopefully the latest version is incorporated into the next beta @Doomkid If you need a relink I can but should be on page 9. The only change i could see to that version is maybe the rocket men at the start could be replaced/removed.

Its nothing personal to you, the design was fine. But you gave us the bfg in the start of the game, and I'm dealing with 40 revenants a cyberdemon and it turned into a slaughter map. I just can't do slaughter maps.

@Bloodskull oh, that was not my map, did you say map09? My map was security station which is currently map09 in the most recent alpha. I think you were playing an older alpha. My map doesn’t have a BFG or cyber at all so just a little mess up.

no worries though, even though you were referencing a different map it helped me change a few things in mine anyways.

Writing this after just starting the wad, thing is, the Halo midi on Map01 has me in love, been listening to it for a few minutes.

Just wanted to say that.

Ok, I'll stop being a slacker too. ;)

Will have my more polished map set to fire off to you in a week or so.