Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP! Vanilla community project (Work in progress)

My map was finished since ages but i forgot about it :/

It was tested / maxed on all 3 difficulties (not ITYTD/NM) and visplane explorer reports no errors even with all doors/lifts opened, it's map is pretty hard on UV so maybe that should go into the secret slot (or i add more ammo :p)

Music: map01 (if it's not in use) otherwise I find something else

The beginning and end can be changed to lead in to the next/previous levels they're just generic right now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2sa6o776no7zf/death_god's_shrine.wad?dl=0

zDYZFDp.png

Zti9ys3.png

@xdarkmasterx Ohh yes, yes, yessss. I really loved this level. Finished with 100% kills, items, and secrets in about 13 minutes on Expert. This map... is definitely not for everyone, but personally, it's exactly the kind of thing that gets me all hot and bothered. It's an exciting rush from beginning to end. Ammo is very tight on Expert, but, I think it's close to being perfect the way it is on that front. HP seemed fair, as well. Though, I'm not sure if there's enough ammo to deal with the Invul secret at the beginning of the map (I ended up skipping it, and going through the whole map and coming back to it at the end, which made the Invul sphere itself completely useless). I'll probably re-play the map though, and just see if I can't get the thing near the beginning, cause it would certainly come in handy for that first drop to the red key. 

As for the visuals, I thought the map was beautiful. There was a simple, consistent theme and tone, executed well. I especially loved the look of the lower cavern area with the blue door, and all of the skulls sunk into the rocky formations, as though the entire area were built upon a mountain of skulls and bones.

Kudos on this level. Yeah, it might be suited for a secret map, but I'd certainly love to see it as the final map or something, or perhaps the penultimate if there's already a planned finale.

I'd be happy to record a demo of this, as well, if people are interested.

Powertripppppppppppppppppppppp! Now working on the end portion of my map, which is this twisty, maze-ish, cavern place.

YtBeOjY.jpg

And Rowdy Rudy ventured into the serpentine caves and was never the same since.

Got a lot done in a short time. If I could edit Doom like this all the time, id be less of a doom slacker. ;)

1XvAOa7.jpg

Here is my map --->grimsector.zip

Made it as map13 but don't mind where it ends up in the map order. Calling it Grim Sector. It ended up being a bit longer than what I planned.. The start and exit are all set for DoomKid to do what he needs to set up. Some flats will be changed once DoomKid gets around to adding them, but that won't take long to fix up.

zy0BwgV.jpg

Edited by Doom_Dude

Hey fellas, I’m still in a computerless situation for now, but I just want to say I’m loving the look of both Doom_Dude and xdarkmasterx’s maps. I’m going crazy not having access to Slade or DB right now.. I cannot wait to compile the next updated beta, the number of high quality maps just keeps going up.

Hopefully you'll be able to get back to normal soon Doomkid. Meanwhile, we'll keep making stuff so you'll go nuts and have a million things on your desk to sort out. ;)

On 1/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, Doom_Dude said:

Here is my map ---> grimsector.zip

Made it as map13 but don't mind where it ends up in the map order. Calling it Grim Sector. It ended up being a bit longer than what I planned.. The start and exit are all set for DoomKid to do what he needs to set up. Some flats will be changed once DoomKid gets around to adding them, but that won't take long to fix up.

I loved this map. Excellent. 

On 1/25/2020 at 11:59 PM, TravyB said:

I loved this map. Excellent. 

Oh hey, thanks @TravyB. Somehow missed your post on Saturday.

Great maps again :) Been a while since I posted a video, but here are Death God's Shrine and Grim Sector!

Good job on the reviews DavidN as usual. Just waiting for Doomkid to put together the lastest build so I can do the final touches to my map.

Hope Doomkid is alright down under.

Wonder how Mr Rocket is doing with his map.

Hey guys, don’t mind me, just being awol again. Spent 4 days out of town taking care of a whole buncha shit. I meant to have another build made by now (d’oh). It’s coming very soon!

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hey guys, don’t mind me, just being awol again. Spent 4 days out of town taking care of a whole buncha shit. I meant to have another build made by now (d’oh). It’s coming very soon!

No rush, hope you're doing well!

Just popping back in with a quick update on my second map -- it's basically reached a playable state, so I'm just going to release it for now and update/tweak it as needed based on testing & feedback. I've run it through ChocoRenderLimits several times, and there is the odd HOM in very specific places/angles, but unless they become too egregious to other players, I'm probably not going to fight with them anymore. Otherwise, the map is completely vanilla compatible.

Title: Clearing Inventory

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Tested in: ChocoRenderLimits, GZDoom

MIDI: "Cacophony of Asian Donut Shops" by @AD_79

Download: Dropbox link

2mycbyA.png

Say @RonnieJamesDiner I was wondering, how do you get that soulsphere on the dangerstripe platform other than by jumping across?  Anyhow, like I said on Discord, last Sunday, cool map. :D Look forward to watching @DavidN playing your map.

Wonder where Mr.Rocket got to and how he's doing with his map. He hasn't been on since December 20th. :/

Holy crap, I didn't mean to take so long on compiling this latest beta.

rdy.zip

This is V8, by the way. The maplist is coming together beautifully:

Map01 - Infiltration by Doomkid
Map02 - Untitled by Sluggard
Map03 - Twin Fortress by DavidN
Map04 - Untitled by Doomkid
Map05 - Untitled by Voltcom
Map06 - Labyrinth Lab by Doomkid
Map07 - Secluded Rifts by riderr3
Map08 - Cliffside Punchout by TravyB
Map09 - Security Station by DerFurhersFace
Map10 - Punishment Central by Doomkid
Map11 - Clearing Inventory by RJD
Map12 - Ambush by TravyB
Map13 - Mutagen Plant by Moustachio
Map14 - Rumble in the Canyon by RJD
Map15 - Jungle Hijinx by Aurelius
Map16 - Grim Sector by Doom_Dude
Map17 - Death God's Shrine by xdarkmasterx

While not finalized, I am much happier with this arrangement than the old one. I think Doom_Dude's Grim Sector map might have to get bumped 2 or 3 places up in line, but of course this is all up in the air and there is plenty of room to squeeze in the remaining WIP maps and any new submissions that may get tossed our way.

I feel like maybe map04, 05, 06 and 07 are all too "1995" to be directly back to back like that, I'd like to squeeze something "pretty" in the middle. Nothing against these maps - hell, two of them are mine - but the other maps in the set seem a little bit more pretty. As much as that shouldn't matter, it does. Then again anyone playing this is probably seeking a 90's-esque experience anyway.

Oh, one last note - I didn't bother updating "rudyres.wad". I always thought using a wad rather than a proper Doom Builder config was an ugly solution, and it seemed to cause some people confusion. To access the full gamut of flats and textures, simply use rudy2v8.wad as a resource. The custom enemies don't show up in the builder, but it's pretty easy to work around.

Enough of my bloviating. Give it a spin and tell me what you all think. One thing is for certain, this project is beyond 2/3rds of the way to completion. Yay!

This looks like so much fun.

¿Do you still accept submissions? I would like to map something for this project.

Sure, there's still room for more. We could use another small map, just to help break up the pacing. Looking forward to seeing what you make!

Making the final touches to my map now. Made a couple secrets a little more noticeable and I'm slapping some of the new flats in place. :)

Hey Doomkid, for a level name for my map I think it should be called "HydroCore".

As for your comments about breaking up maps 04 through map07. I think my map is very easy and belongs further ahead in the que as opposed to being pushed further back. 

I do agree that the set should have a blend of 1995 and modern though. 

Here's my attempt at Clearing Inventory! Loved this one :)

Demos for first two levels attached

Level 1: Once you're through the exit door you can't get back. I played this on HNTR as I forgot to change the difficulty in my BAT file. This is an FDA

Level 2: Switched to UV for this one. The fake wall used for the water was a bit annoying tbh, especially for the last rocketman battle. Why not put something tangible there to make the wall real instead? Also there seemed to be a random waterfall drop that didn't go anywhere or give you anything other than a teleport straight back up again. Not an FDA, my previous attempts got overwritten for some reason even though I saved, hmm..

0_demos.zip

13 hours ago, Horus said:

Why not put something tangible there to make the wall real instead?

The idea was that it would look like its extending to an ocean, I guess that wasn't enough to communicate that players aren't meant to go there lol, I'm thinking another one of those fence textures I used for the upper area will do the trick.

E: I updated it, it should be good now, and I also got rid of that pointless teleport and raised the water there instead. @Doomkid just tagging you to let you know I uploaded a new version to download (sorry for the tag)

Edited by sluggard

Hey @Doomkid, we have some tutti-futti to kill. ;) Seems the new flats are in the wad twice and the 2nd pair is .png so ChoRenderLimits is having a party.

For anybody using the new flats and want a quick fix, go into rudy2v8.wad and delete the .png's of adrok2, adrok3, camo_cn1 and slad_gr1. :D

This all reminded me that I wanted to use that slad_gr1 in a couple spots.

Another fun watch with @DavidN testing RJD's Clearing Inventory!

Edited by Doom_Dude

Demos for Levels 3,4,5 attached

Level 3: The Plasma Gun & Megaarmor secret could be hidden better - I found it from the automap. This one is an SDA.

Level 4: Same thing as Level 1 with the exit door not being openable from the other side. This one is an FDA.

Level 5: Health could do with rebalancing on this one, I was so starved for it I was playing a very campy game. Then right at the end I'm suddenly flushed with health, getting both a Berserk and Soulsphere for 200% health, with only like 3 enemies left to kill. This one is an FDA.

In general, enjoyable stuff so far, good job

0_demos.zip

Demos for Levels 6,7,8 attached. 

Level 6: Liked the soulsphere secret on this one

Level 7: Good use of lighting to add tension here, just a bit odd to have the flamethrower turreted in the starting area where it can't really hurt you. Levels are getting harder now so I switched to cl9 so I can save/load

Level 8: No complaints here. Loved the start with the demons feasting on the corpse pile. Tyson gameplay was sweet too

In general I'm a big fan of the new monsters

0_demos.zip