Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy Returns in: POWERTRIP! (Vanilla community project!)

My map is done.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zdiga9udino72z0/secrifts.zip/file

"Secluded rifts" by riderr3
For Rowdy Rudy Returns in: POWERTRIP! community project

Advanced engine needed: No advanced engine required
Music: zombie remix (D_COUNTD).mid by Viscra Maelstrom
Other files required: resource pack provided at the project thread
Map: MAP01
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 7 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3
Tested With: Chocorenderlimits 1.5.0, Chocolate Doom 2.3.0

Screenshots: (captured with PRBoom-Plus but map still in vanilla format)

0n6zVmf.png

0OktW2E.png

IIdYX18.png

Comments are welcome.

Loving the screens! Gonna give this a whirl once home. ill probably also be making a tentative map order - that way, people who are going to submit maps later will have an idea of where their map will be in the set, now that we finally have some meat on this bone!

I just playtested your map @riderr3, I really like it! The dark ambience and spooky MIDI fit together well. The map is pretty easy which is totally fine because it still kept me engaged. The only issue I had, which was possibly entirely on me, was not being able to access the yellow key. I see it when I'm looking out the window, then I progress through the map and approach it from the cave area, and it's up on that pedestal. At this point my only way out is a yellow door which raises the lift, but I can't open it. I was struck and had to start again, so a teleporter out of there might be a good idea. I guess I got to the cave area before I was meant to?

Texturing is very nice over all, although I did find a misaligned brick texture in one of the lifts. I like the repeating drain flat on the steps, but I'm wondering if maybe they're a bit overkill? One drain on each step would be good (unless that causes VPOs or messes with the current sector actions of course). Anyway, not a big deal. This is a really nice submission, a few small tweaks is all it needs at this stage!

EDIT: Also, I'm working on a map order. Not exactly sure what should go where yet but I'll have an update on that soon.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I just playtested your map @riderr3, I really like it! The dark ambience and spooky MIDI fit together well. The map is pretty easy which is totally fine because it still kept me engaged. The only issue I had, which was possibly entirely on me, was not being able to access the yellow key. I see it when I'm looking out the window, then I progress through the map and approach it from the cave area, and it's up on that pedestal. At this point my only way out is a yellow door which raises the lift, but I can't open it. I was struck and had to start again, so a teleporter out of there might be a good idea. I guess I got to the cave area before I was meant to?

Yeah, this is my omission, I'll fix it and update the map. I wanted to make non-linear progress where player can choose his paths to the yellow key or blue key.

Hi, I seem to be running into an issue. I'm trying to test my map in ChocoRenderLimits, but when I add " -deh rudy2v1.deh " as a command-line parameter, I just get "Error parsing dehacked file", "This is not a valid dehacked patch file!". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

9 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Hi, I seem to be running into an issue. I'm trying to test my map in ChocoRenderLimits, but when I add " -deh rudy2v1.deh " as a command-line parameter, I just get "Error parsing dehacked file", "This is not a valid dehacked patch file!". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

You need to specify the full path to the DEH file with quotation marks, e.g. -deh "C:\Program Files\Doom 2\rudy2v1.deh"

The same goes for the -file and -iwad options. Also run cmd line from Chocolate Doom folder, not the system32 folder or whatever.

hey everypony felt like making something for a project maybe or not i will finish it but here is map so far

Spoiler

NjKH4TX.png

FffhcJI.png

is any slot lefts?

Sure, I like the look of those screenshots :)

Also thank you @riderr3 for figuring that out. I've never actually used ChocoRenderLimits (thanks to VPO explorer) so I was totally clueless.

So, I've got a working submission ready here.

Download

Name: Rumble in the Canyon

Difficulty settings have been implemented, though not rigorously tested. I ran the map through ChocoRenderLimits several times and couldn't find any visplane errors or HOMs, but it's very possible that I missed something.

Overall, I was aiming for a little more on the challenging end of the scale (without going overboard). Feedback is definitely appreciated, especially on the vanilla compatibility end of things.

(I couldn't decide on a song, so if there's something you have in mind @Doomkid, feel free!)

rowdyrudypic.png.dcb873c6ddf2d46d0bf814b39e20b104.png

This submission looks really nice! Downloading it now. I've been working on compiling the next beta, glad to have another gorgeous looking map to add in.

Sure, please do, there's not currently any limit to the number of maps.

Its coming along. Like 3/4 done. Bit of a stop and go though, mappingwise, but I managed to do semi random archvile spawns. Not certain if I will keep them in the end.

yk791Rt.png

Looks very interesting, curious to see how you implement those random Archie spawns if you decide to keep them around.

@Doomkid

Probably not because they are a visible product and a reminder of my unability to not do an over complicated map. I was actually also planning to include 3d bridges... yeah.

The randomized effect is not really noticeable to the random one time play tester and, an annoyance to speed runners / maxers / what have you. In fact the whole map would have to be based around this gimmick to make it worthwhile.

I'll save it for a speedmap, though.

Thanks, for the kind words.

Hey Doomkid how many maps have been submitted to this so far? Also, have you set out a map order yet?

On 11/24/2019 at 3:34 AM, Rince-wind said:

How's the project going?

I can't wait to play it!

It's coming along well! Progress has been slow but steady.

1 hour ago, Voltcom said:

Hey Doomkid how many maps have been submitted to this so far? Also, have you set out a map order yet?

It's sitting at 10 maps submitted so far with a few more in the pipeline.  It's a little bit up in the air right now but things will fall into place once we're a bit further along - I'm awaiting at least 3 maps from other authors, so I've decided to hold off on map order til submissions stop coming in. I'm thinking of drawing the line for map submissions a bit later than it is currently, maybe January 1st. That way I (we) can spend January itself on playtesting and minor tweaks.

Not much to say about my map. Its coming along. I'm working on the last area, I only decided to scale down the ambitions abit. I just hope that I managed to stay within the vanilla limits - going to give the map a pass when it it done. 

I even have my stupid usual wordplay map name figured out already. I think I managed to come up with a map name with three different meanings, so go me.

rr_nh_scrn1.png

rr_nh_scrn2.png

Hi, still here..

I've been a bit out of the loop lately but at least I have some progress to my level, here's some screenies:

Image2.png.3116826cd2c2a1b852d9f50b524826fb.pngImage3.png.3a4f93dcde700e47e78a335aac449bd2.png

Image4.png.db70306c43ebd1416d82c9af92fe2d09.pngImage5.png.f8a8adf925581a23e129afffa9c6be3b.png

Will try to keep you more informed of my progress.

Cheers

Awesome, thankyou! I really liked the early version you sent me, glad to have a more complete version.

Alright, here's my submission for the wad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwodp8m827l17qg/mutagenplant-r1.zip?dl=1

The tentative name for this map is Mutagen Plant. I did my best to follow a techbase theme that opens up into a jungle theme.

It's been tested on Chocolate Doom, Chocorenderlimits, and Crispy Doom. The max visplane number I got was 112. All skill levels are implemented and tested although most of the testing happened on UV (or Expert, as it's known here).

The main gist is that Rudy has to break on through to the other side of this facility where the soldier enhancement formula is being manufactured. With all the frenzy going on at the lab, some of the machinery has been damaged and is leaking mutagen into the lakes and rivers of the mountainside.

I'll let you guys decide what it needs (extra detail, gameplay adjustments, etc.). The exit can also change if the allotted space isn't big enough.

Screenshots

Spoiler

q0R8xaA.png

W949bha.png

PrrGa3A.png

I'll make another post with feedback on the project as a whole, but, for now, I'll just say that I'm really enjoying the project so far, and I think it's shaping up to be a great successor to Rowdy Rudy's Revenge with some notable improvements.

EDIT: Thought I should mention that I just realized there are no DM starts! Whoops!

Also, I'm feeling an itch to hide some more secrets in the map.

Edited by Moustachio