Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrancisT218

Your favorite PC exclusive action platformers?

Taking a look into HocusDoom made me think of this. Hocus Pocus is one I played a lot as a child. But my top four I played (can't decide on an order) were unquestionably Keen 4/5, Duke Nukem II, Xargon, and Jazz Jackrabbit.

There are quite a few well known ones I did not get to play extensively: Abuse, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Bio Menace, Alien Rampage, Alien Carnage, Monster Bash, Captain Claw, and almost certainly others too. Plus Dark Wolf and Electro Man (which I only now know about as a result of hidden references within HocusDoom).

I love all of these Francis! And Jill of the Jungle, of course. But Jazz Jackrabbit was definitely my favorite.

Some obscure stuff that I played as a child: Captain Comic, Jason Storm in Space Chase, Jetpack, Realm of Chaos...

Ah actually Realm if Chaos I don't think was particularly an obscure game. I just forgot to mention it at all in the OP...it isn't one I had young.

Keen 4 was probably my favorite, with Duke Nukem 2, Halloween Harry, Hocus Pocus, and Xargon filling up my top 5. Jazz Jackrabbit, BioMenace, Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem (1), Vinyl Goddess from Mars, and Jetpack.

I never understood in the least why Jill of the Jungle seems loved and talked about more than Xargon. Keen 5 is my favorite Keen, 4 is second.

Seeing as how Odallus was eventually ported to the Switch and PS4, Keen 4 is still the reigning champion in my book. 

Verdict: The Dopefish lives! It's no joke! :P

Though if it was clearly FIRST released as a PC exclusive with no known plans at that point in time to port, that is canon.

43 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

I never understood in the least why Jill of the Jungle seems loved and talked about more than Xargon.

Yeah! Xargon is pretty sweet as well. I'm not sure about this, but I think Jill was one of the first platformers doing the VGA+Adlib combo, which could explain why it is more well known.

Xargon was like an updated Jill, so was mostly superior, but Jill had amazing graphics and sound for its time. It's also more of a classic since it was the first, and seemed to be a favorite of Epic (it had its own pinball table).

Only PC action platformer I really know much about, and love, is Jazz Jackrabbit. Specifically, Jazz 2. (Jazz 1 sucks arse due to the tiny resolution... and wonky level designs (*ahem* all of episode 2 *ahem*) :l)

Jazz Jackrabbit 2's two expansion packs, Holiday Hare '98 and The Secret Files also introduced the one rabbit I play WAY too much. Lori. XD

EDIT:

Just remembered another one I used to play when I was like gosh, 6? Commander Keen 6: AAMBS.

Can't remember much about it but I do remember playing that game like nuts when I was younger. Don't think I could ever finish it though...

the game ABUSE was developed by a company called Crackdotcom and released in 1995 for DOS, featuring a soundtrack composed by none other than Bobby Prince

It's a sci-fi shooter/platforming game which was unique for the time because it used the mouse to freely aim around the screen, where in most games aiming was fixed to a few directions only. It also came with a level editor which was pretty sweet too.

Nukem II was a lot of fun:

Duke_Nukem_II_Map_Format.png