Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

The Angry Video Game Nerd just did a video on Chex Quest.

people still triggered about bd? how long was it ago that mark got banned? pretty much a half decade at this point. didn't he apologize for his behaviour at some point?

On 8/24/2019 at 3:25 AM, Doomkid said:

I’m not sure if you’re being serious, it’s hard to read tone in posts sometimes.. but, if you are, I never felt like AVGN reviews were “negative for the sake of being negative”, it’s more like he gives his honest opinion while saying things like BUFFALO DIARRHOEA FUCK as often as possible - which is juvenile as fuck, and I love it. I never get the feeling he lies though for lulz sake, he almost always mentions the positives when there are positives to mention. At least, that’s how he’s been since I started watching in 2011 or something. His oldest videos were a bit dated for me.. but just from watching his stuff regularly he actually seems like one of the kindest popular people on YT (big ramble as a result of me possibly misunderstanding your post)

After watching his gameplays I'm pretty sure his character is negative for the sake of negative. Are they his honest opinions when he's playing a character? I enjoy it too for the most part otherwise I just wouldn't watch. There are plenty of Youtubers that I've fallen off the band wagon or they themselves have fallen off the band wagon and switched the style of their videos or just stopped doing them entirely because they're too depressed, hooked on meth, or embroiled in scandals.

If AVGN's old videos are too dated, you might want to try his Mega Man DOS video. I think that's the one that remakes some of his old videos.

I'm happy he did the Nerd charity drive for the Shriner's hospital auctioning off all his props and scripts. He's had struggles with his first kid I do believe and nobody pays for the Shriner's, so again good cause.

I saw his movie. It's quite an achievement to the character. I didn't like the first half, but that last half hour really picks up. It's a 90 minute intro into an E.T. review during the credits.

Edited by geo

11 hours ago, geo said:

After watching his gameplays I'm pretty sure his character is negative for the sake of negative. Are they his honest opinions when he's playing a character?

My wording in my original post didn't convey what I meant at all, upon re-reading it (d'oh). He definitely IS negative for the sake of negativity when he's in character, but I think every gripe/complaint he has with games while he reviews them is genuine. He'll never fabricate an issue with a game just for the sake of criticizing it, at least not that I've seen. Even when he's talking about games I like, for example the Battletoads episode, all the issues he points out are totally legitimate grievances.

One of his best ones coming second to Big Rigs, I know every one has an opinion on BD, I enjoy it in moderation but the Brutal Chex commercial at the end was the best thing I've seen from the Nerd in a long time.

This was fun, and much better than the James and Mike where they play Doom 64 and ask where the jump button is, and Mike claims he used to play splitscreen PC Doom.

4 hours ago, famicommander said:

This was fun, and much better than the James and Mike where they play Doom 64 and ask where the jump button is, and Mike claims he used to play splitscreen PC Doom.

Hmm.. split screen and jumping? Doom Legacy has been around for a very long time now and it supported split screen and jumping for at least the last 17 years, perhaps longer. I guess there’s a chance he was playing using Legacy back then? I’m just giving him the benefit of the doubt. It was a very popular source port in it’s heyday..

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

It was a very popular source port in it’s heyday..

it was The Sourceport, i daresay. at least for some time i was sure that there weren't any others. don't judge me to hard, tho -- we didn't even had internet back then!

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hmm.. split screen and jumping? Doom Legacy has been around for a very long time now and it supported split screen and jumping for at least the last 17 years, perhaps longer. I guess there’s a chance he was playing using Legacy back then? I’m just giving him the benefit of the doubt. It was a very popular source port in it’s heyday..

No, we're talking in the very beginning here. 

They also claim to have played it on "Windows 92"

I've watched quite a few of their videos, and it's quite clear that they aren't PC gamers and not super familiar with old-school PC hardware, OSes, or pretty much anything PC-related, for that matter, Doom included. I don't think it's fair to bash them for not having LGR levels of knowledge about those things and not remembering that "the one before Windows 95, probably Windows 92" was called Windows 3.1, or not knowing that splitscreen is only available in certain source ports, especially in a relax-and-chill series such as J&M Mondays.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:14 PM, famicommander said:

Funny thing is Mike does play quite a bit of Doom. James doesn't. Feels like the only games James really plays are the ones Mike makes him play. Then again James has a family, a job and everything else that can distract people from sinking into that video game Youtuber spectrum. In fact they've said that it was their Monday get togethers that let them find new bad games to review and improvise a script before James would hammer it out. The Beavis and Butthead one was such evidence of this.

I think Mike is an all gamer. He does PC gaming with their sweaty friend Ryan and has videos for that. Or did... it's been a while since I've been subscribed to the channel. Funny how you can unsubscribe from a channel and Youtube still recommends that I watch AVGN, but none of the Mike & James play or the Mike plays PC games with Ryan. The gameplays with Ryan felt a lot like Ryan was given copies of new games for Mike to give the rub to.

Then there was Bootsy that was good at the video games. They used to have him on, but for whatever reason he disappeared a few years ago.

I always heard James (from James and Mike Mondays) couldn't live off his Youtube money, but thanks to the Internet for letting me know "the truth" (not that I was even searching for it specifically): https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/james-rolfe-net-worth/

It must be 100% credible that he is worth $600,000, because a website that couldn't even come up with a picture of James Rolfe told me so.

Edited by geo

21 hours ago, Danarchy said:

They're console gamers, cut them some slack. :P

"classic style" Doom games have been officially released on

Super Nintendo

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Switch

Game Boy Advance

3DO

SEGA 32X

SEGA Saturn

Atari Jaguar

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

Playstation

Playstation 3

Playstation 4

None include jumping.

4 hours ago, geo said:

Funny thing is Mike does play quite a bit of Doom. James doesn't. Feels like the only games he really plays are the ones Mike makes him play. 

Apparently Mike doesn't play enough to know:

1. You don't switch right back to the pistol when you get a Berserk pack

2. There was no such thing as Windows 92

3. Doom on PC in the early to mid 90s didn't include splitscreen

4. There's no jump button

They couldn't even find the shotgun in the first room of Doom 64, and it's sitting directly on the ground in front of them.

They also missed all the secrets in E1M1 when they did Knee Deep in the Dead.

Perhaps you should consider you have a specialized knowledge of Doom and they don't. You might not know some "obvious" facts about games they're experts on.

35 minutes ago, Danarchy said:

Perhaps you should consider you have a specialized knowledge of Doom and they don't. You might not know some "obvious" facts about games they're experts on.

Perhaps they should do the most basic amount of research before they give people bad information.

They're the ones who claim in the videos to have spent tons of time playing Doom.

7 hours ago, famicommander said:

"classic style" Doom games have been officially released on

Nintendo 64

None include jumping.

I know you said "Classic Style" but i don't really consider Doom 64 "Classic Style" per se . I mean, i kinda do but then again i kinda don't so bare with me. It is classic in the sense that it has no jumping/no freelook as well as finding key cards ect. but then again it does feel and look different than the original Doom on DOS/PC or even most of the other Doom console ports.

I mean, it's technically more of a new entry to the Doom franchise (aka a new Doom game) then a port of the original Doom tbh and pretty much all of the other console versions of Doom are just ports of the original Doom games. Even the PS1 version of Doom looks similar to the original Doom as it has most of the same levels.

3 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I know you said "Classic Style" but i don't really consider Doom 64 "Classic Style" per se . I mean, i kinda do but then again i kinda don't so bare with me. It is classic in the sense that it has no jumping/no freelook as well as finding key cards ect. but then again it does feel and look different than the original Doom on DOS/PC or even most of the other Doom console ports. I mean, it's technically more of a new entry to the Doom franchise (aka a new Doom game) then a port of the original Doom tbh and pretty much all of the other console versions of Doom are just ports of the original Doom games.

I consider Doom 64 one of the classic games.

Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, Final Doom, Doom 64, and No Rest for the Living = Classic Doom

Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, Lost Missions/BFG Edition, Doom 2016, Doom VFR, and Doom Eternal = Modern Doom

Especially considering the timeline of their releases

1993: Doom

1994: Doom II: Hell on earth

1995: The Ultimate Doom, The Master Levels for Doom II

1996: Final Doom

1997: Doom 64

And then nothing until 2004 with Doom 3.

Like you said, Doom 64 plays like a classic game. No vertical aiming, no jumping, only two monsters not from Doom II (nightmare Imp and the game's last boss). It just has a fresh coat of paint.

48 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I consider Doom 64 one of the classic games.

Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, Final Doom, Doom 64, and No Rest for the Living = Classic Doom

Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil, Lost Missions/BFG Edition, Doom 2016, Doom VFR, and Doom Eternal = Modern Doom

Especially considering the timeline of their releases

1993: Doom

1994: Doom II: Hell on earth

1995: The Ultimate Doom, The Master Levels for Doom II

1996: Final Doom

1997: Doom 64

And then nothing until 2004 with Doom 3.

Like you said, Doom 64 plays like a classic game. No vertical aiming, no jumping, only two monsters not from Doom II (nightmare Imp and the game's last boss). It just has a fresh coat of paint.

Oh i consider it a classic Doom game too. I mean, it was my first Doom experience ;) I guess i was just stating that it isn't exactly a Doom port like most of the other console variations were. I don't really know how i got mixed up from reading your previous comment though haha. I guess probably because you listed all of the console variations and my mind just clicked on "Doom ports" and Doom 64 really isn't a port imo. Sorry about misinterpreting what you were stating.

4 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I guess i was just stating that it isn't exactly a Doom port like most of the other console variations were.

Because it's not a port in that sense of the word at all. It's simply a new entry in the series released officially (and exclusively) on the N64, set after the events of the first Doom games.

On lundi 2 septembre 2019 at 10:25 PM, Rathori said:

I've watched quite a few of their videos, and it's quite clear that they aren't PC gamers and not super familiar with old-school PC hardware, OSes, or pretty much anything PC-related, for that matter, Doom included. I don't think it's fair to bash them for not having LGR levels of knowledge about those things and not remembering that "the one before Windows 95, probably Windows 92" was called Windows 3.1, or not knowing that splitscreen is only available in certain source ports, especially in a relax-and-chill series such as J&M Mondays.

But what if people want to be the Angry AVGN Nerd, playing up the negativity about minor issues for the sake of comedy?

18 hours ago, famicommander said:

Perhaps they should do the most basic amount of research before they give people bad information.

They're the ones who claim in the videos to have spent tons of time playing Doom.

They and Classic Game Room have given out legendarily bad information that has been debunked after a decade of people parroting it as fact. Things such as "Blockbuster exclusive" games. Some people feel belief matters more than truth.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:05 PM, famicommander said:

bad information being, not showing all the secrets? isn't it better when new people introduced to the game can discover the secrets themself?

7 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

bad information being, not showing all the secrets? isn't it better when new people introduced to the game can discover the secrets themself?

No, the bad information is telling people about splitscreen Doom and the "jump button" on their Windows 92 computers.

But if they talk themselves up as Doom fans, which they did, then they should at least be able to complete the first map.

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

No, the bad information is telling people about splitscreen Doom and the "jump button" on their Windows 92 computers.

But if they talk themselves up as Doom fans, which they did, then they should at least be able to complete the first map.

They did?

Spoiler

Yes, I know we are on Doom 64 but Doom 1 can count too!

Quite honestly, I don't think casual viewers would even think twice or care much on the incorrect information, especially if most of them probably play Doom with modern source ports like GZDoom (which features jumping and crouching).

Edited by Erick

4 hours ago, Erick said:

Quite honestly, I don't think casual viewers would even think twice or care much on the incorrect information

this is still not an excuse to provide inaccurate facts. especially when it is that easy to check them. things like that makes me thing if any of their facts are really facts, or the same kind of BS. dunno, maybe i am overreacting, but i abandoned reading "game sites" exactly because nobody there caring about facts. and stop watching youtubers when i see that they're don't mind lying. not that i really watched their show, but now i won't for sure.

I loved this vid. Always thought Brutal Chex Quest was a cool little Easter egg. I don't really understand the vitriol towards Brutal Doom. It's gotten a lot of people back into the game, *sigh* including myself. I don't play it anymore in favor of a more vanilla experience, but I appreciate the way it rekindled my love for my favorite childhood game and exposed me to a community I knew nothing about.

That was a fun video. It was more entertaining than the last AVGN video. The Brutal Chex Quest part at the end was pretty fun, especially that commercial. I know people have their opinions about the mod and the mod's author, but come on, you gotta admit that it was amusing seeing those Flemoids being gibbed to slimy chunks of goo.