Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunbeam

BorderDoom: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (update 1.2)

BorderDoom v1.2 released!

Changelog:
- new game mode: "preset" (enemies get stronger with each map)
- show ammo count in inventory screen
- reduced enemy health: -25% for Baron of Hell and Pain Elemental, -33% for Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon
- only compare weapon pickup stats when having the same weapon type selected
- fixed player shield having wrong shield points when entering a map
- fixed shield recharge with higher level shields
- smaller bugfixes

Game mode selection:

oVZBACL.png

Updated inventory screen:

4QahZHx.png

1 hour ago, NPC_CO8ALT said:

I smell a Cacoward in your future. Keep it up, man!

Thanks! Very kind of you to say that. 🙂 We'll see.

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

I've never heard of it before, but now it's time to try it!

Have fun! I'd like to hear your feedback after you played it.

It's quite a good attempt to reimagine Doom's combat system and battle tactics. And yeah, the walkthough depends on random in a greater degree because the weapon you're willing to use against a horde in front of you might have weak characteristics which results in spending more ammo. And then you get a stronger weapon and say "Why didn't you give me that weapon BEFORE that horde?" That's a common feeling while you play Borderlands. I don't how the balance is set in Borderlands 3, but I don't think it changed that much.

Nevertheless, I didn't feel the lack of ammo on HMP.

I like the idea of making enemies drop random items. That's funny when a zombieman drops a rocket or an imp drops a clip. It seems like it goes against the common sense, but it's a good plan how to solve ammo problem.

Health and shield is the only thing that has to be rebalanced. Sometimes the enemies can't hurt you because of the shield (and usually you don't have to take cover to wait for it to restore its energy meter) and sometimes a single projectile takes away the whole shield and a half of your health meter, even though you've taken a supercharge beforehand. That's why you have to fall back more frequently than in regular Doom which slackens the combat pace.

Demon Stuff is boring and ineffecient. I don't feel like dancing around enemies to collect their souls infinitely. It just slows things down.

Still, it's a good mod. I would also suggest adding more weapon models for all weapon types.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, Dimon12321 said:

It's quite a good attempt to reimagine Doom's combat system and battle tactics. And yeah, the walkthough depends on random in a greater degree because the weapon you're willing to use against a horde in front of you might have weak characteristics which results in spending more ammo. And then you get a stronger weapon and say "Why didn't you give me that weapon BEFORE that horde?" That's a common feeling while you play Borderlands. I don't how the balance is set in Borderlands 3, but I don't think it changed that much.

Nevertheless, I didn't feel the lack of ammo on HMP.

I'm glad you like it.

I find that interesting. For me getting a better weapon after a fight was more like a reward rather than a "regret". On the other hand you could always try to find a better weapon before the fight (applies to Borderlands, too).

It's good that you didn't have any ammo shortages. I tried to counter that by having enemies drop random ammo.

Health and shield is the only thing that has to be rebalanced. Sometimes the enemies can't hurt you because of the shield (and usually you don't have to take cover to wait for it to restore its energy meter) and sometimes a single projectile takes away the whole shield and a half of your health meter, even though you've taken a supercharge beforehand. That's why you have to fall back more frequently than in regular Doom which slackens the combat pace.

I'm not quite sure about this but I had a similar thought. I want the higher level enemies to be noticeably stronger than the weaker ones. But of course enemies shouldn't be a one hit kill (except for the Cyberdemon maybe). On the other hand the shield gives you basically "free" hit points, so that's a plus.

Demon Stuff is boring and ineffecient. I don't feel like dancing around enemies to collect their souls infinitely. It just slows things down.

Still, it's a good mod. I would also suggest adding more weapon models for all weapon types.

The demon staff was not really intended as a "normal" weapon. Instead it was added so players could also play this mod with maps that have lots of enemies (slaughter maps in the extreme case, but I wouldn't recommend this). Using it on maps with few enemies will be very slow. But that's the intention: It should only work if many monsters are present.

The thing about weapon models was brought up before. Maybe in the future. 🙂

hi your mod is great! but can you make the mod compatible with Legend doom 2.8 and Corruption cards 1.7 mod?

I play them together and making doom maps is too good! test them together! With your mod you could add features to legend doom 2.8 and it would be even more "RANDOM" !! but I can't get them to work together.

This is why I ask you if you can make them compatible, or is there a vanilla version? old version? thanks.

ps : excuse for my english .)

Thanks! I haven't played those mods, but unfortunately my guess is that they won't be compatible. At least if the other mods somehow change the monsters and weapons (which they seem to do quite a lot).

Version 1.0 won't make a difference in that regard.

I hope you still have some fun the way it is now. 🙂

On 2/26/2021 at 12:13 PM, Sunbeam said:

BorderDoom v1.2 released!

Changelog:
- new game mode: "preset" (enemies get stronger with each map)
- show ammo count in inventory screen
- reduced enemy health: -25% for Baron of Hell and Pain Elemental, -33% for Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon
- only compare weapon pickup stats when having the same weapon type selected
- fixed player shield having wrong shield points when entering a map
- fixed shield recharge with higher level shields
- smaller bugfixes

Game mode selection:

oVZBACL.png

Updated inventory screen:

4QahZHx.png

Hi, I downloaded this version of the mod and I get stuck at the game mode selection screen for some reason; I don’t get any errors from it I just can’t choose between the two different modes (in fact I only see one mode) and I also try and start the game in the one mode I do see but I can’t, I don’t know what it is but I’d appreciate some help 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:52 PM, Molega54 said:

Hi, I downloaded this version of the mod and I get stuck at the game mode selection screen for some reason; I don’t get any errors from it I just can’t choose between the two different modes (in fact I only see one mode) and I also try and start the game in the one mode I do see but I can’t, I don’t know what it is but I’d appreciate some help 

Hi!

There's already something wrong if you only see one game mode. If that's the case my only guess is that maybe you changed some settings regarding the ingame HUD (in the Doom settings menu).

Controlling the BorderDoom menues is done by using your normal Doom controls (forward/backward, strafe left/right, fire). There is some additional info in the readme file.

If you can't get it to work please show a screenshot of the menu you described.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, Sunbeam said:

Hi!

There's already something wrong if you only see one game mode. If that's the case my only guess is that maybe you changed some settings regarding the ingame HUD (in the Doom settings menu).

Controlling the BorderDoom menues is done by using your normal Doom controls (forward/backward, strafe left/right, fire). There is some additional info in the readme file.

If you can't get it to work please show a screenshot of the menu you described.

Hi, So I looked back at my previous comment and realized I made an error in describing my issue. So I start the game, select my difficulty and then I have the select Game Mode screen; It is stuck highlighting Adaptive mode with no way to switch to the other mode or select the highlighted mode so I can actually play the game. I'm pretty sure that my issue might be an easy fix but I'm not certain nor do I no what the issue is. 

Okay, thanks for clarifying that.

All I can say for that is that the controls I described in my last post should allow you to use the menues. Make sure you have them bound in the controls menu (but why wouldn't you? 😛).

You're playing on PC, right?

(Something I just realized: In your image both game modes can be seen. I wasn't paying attention. HOWEVER there the "preset" game mode is selected. So you actually managed to do some inputs. 😛)

I know this is an old thread at this point. 

Are you still working on BorderDoom? This has a ton of potential. I'm sure others would like an update, as well!

From time to time. Some time ago I prepared update 1.3, however it's not done yet. I can't give an ETA right now.