Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glyphic

Your tale of Doom hubris

After completing Eternal without a walkthrough I was feeling myself so decided to start a 100% secrets playthrough. That was about 8 months ago. I'm still on map 3.

"I've beaten Rush and some later Scythe2/HR/PL2-Maps, now i can tackle the large scale slaughter stuff that everyone is talking about!"

*Sunder MAP06 is lurking in the dark with bloody fangs and sharpened claws*

*Our man @seed plays plenty of difficult Doom wads over the course of a couple of years, and actually finishes every single one of them*

*He decides to do a saveless let's play of Doom II v1.666 as he never played this version before, spent all his Doom career on v1.9*

*He also gets his ass handed back to him repeatedly on Refueling Base and a few other city maps*

*Gets depressed*

I did this with plenty other games I've played for years in the past and never got any better at them. I'm one of the finest players out there for sure :p .

omyyj5qr7wq21.gif

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

"It can't be that hard to get the super-secret level in Scythe II."

Which is a shame because the super secret level is much more fun and memorable than the previous level.

29 minutes ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

Every few years, when I upgrade my PC, I download NUTS.wad. This time it's bound to run smoothly in ZDoom, right?

Wrong.

Oh, it runs just fine for me!

Then I shoot.

Once I were on such an ego trip that I claimed I don't make mistakes when designing levels. 

9 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

There's no splicing. I know cause I did it. And I'm too lazy to splice.

The gene splicing you had to do on that Mac to actually make it run NUTS.WAD.

11 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The gene splicing you had to do on that Mac to actually make it run NUTS.WAD.

LOL

It's just me lowering the settings as low as I could to get it to be possible.

*spends 4 hours trying to find the last secret on Doom64EX map 1*

"It must be a bugged trigger! I'll look at the wiki, while holding my hand over my face like a spider to potentially not spoil it."

*sees slivers of the words 'secret' and 'exit'*

"...ffffuck. Alright, back in hole!"

Me in bygone years of modding: “Pffft, I don’t get why people trash talk XWE. It’s a great tool. Tremendous, in fact. Listen, I know Doom editors. I’ve known XWE for 15 years, terrific editor. Nobody knows Doom editors better than-“

*XWE magically erases every bit of data from the wad I’m working on instantly destroying several weeks of work*

“XWE? I really don’t know too much about it. I know a lot of great mappers who have used it, and that seems like a long time ago, but I know it’s been a terrible lump manager. That’s all I can really tell you about it. That’s all I know about it.”

"No way is this monster gonna live through the 'chaingun cha-cha' long enough to fire back at me!"

"I still have quite a bit of health, this monster ain't gonna roll the absolute maximum damage it can deal to instakill me, the odds of that are slim to none!"

"Hey, I know what I'll do. I'll impress all my friends and play Go 2 it on nightmare! They'll think I'm so cool."

That was a year ago. I didn't even make it out of the first room. I got annihilated by the rain of Mancubus fireballs.

About 2-3 years ago, re-installing Doom Builder for the first time in ages, getting re-acquainted with it and feeling supercharged with excitement and confidence...

” Ya know what? I’m gonna make a 32-map megawad, and it’s gonna be the hottest shit, lets go!!! 

Yeah...

No.

*moving yet another hundred wads from the Maximum Doom folder over to the Chocolate Doom folder...*

Okay, there'll have to be SOME decent ones in this batch...

1 minute ago, Maximum Matt said:

*moving yet another hundred wads from the Maximum Doom folder over to the Chocolate Doom folder...*

Okay, there'll have to be SOME decent ones in this batch...

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, SchwTrdLeenW said:

"I've beaten Rush and some later Scythe2/HR/PL2-Maps, now i can tackle the large scale slaughter stuff that everyone is talking about!"

*Sunder MAP06 is lurking in the dark with bloody fangs and sharpened claws*

Well would you look at the Sunder level that I'm stuck on... And that's continuous play, people do this from a pistol start :(

image.png.e93017c172d65fb34be4af3212272a1a.png

Once, I accidentally dodged into an imp's fireball. My health and my pride were both stinging. 

The worst is when you're running away from some enemies and run into a fireball that passed you and is going in the same direction as you. Happens to me embarrassingly frequently

4 hours ago, Job said:

Once, I accidentally dodged into an imp's fireball. My health and my pride were both stinging. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

The worst is when you're running away from some enemies and run into a fireball that passed you and is going in the same direction as you. Happens to me embarrassingly frequently

How cute. I accidentally dodged into an imp's fireballs, three times in a row.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, seed said:

*He decides to do a saveless let's play of Doom II v1.666 as he never played this version before, spent all his Doom career on v1.9*

*He also gets his ass handed back to him repeatedly on Refueling Base and a few other city maps*

Sorry if I'm missing something, what made v1.666 more difficult than v1.9?