Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sir Hattington

Plasma rifle, or plasma gun?

Do you call the holy sixth weapon slot gun the Plasma rifle, or plasma gun?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the plasma rifle? (I call it the plasma rifle)

I have seen many people call it the plasma rifle, and others call it the plasma gun. I decided to see what other people think about this. I call it the plasma rifle because I think it sounds cooler.

For me it's plasma gun. That one sticked since I was thirteen and played doom for the first time. Might be because I'm not a native speaker and gun is a simpler and more generic word.

Maybe if i was starting with Doom today I'd choose rifle, since now I'm more used to speaking English.

I use them both these days but had grown up calling it plasma gun. Plasma rifle sounds more suitable from a lore perspective, but in game where i grew up with terms like ‘shotgun guy’ and ‘chaingun guy’, calling it plasmagun isnt so odd or unusual to me still.

58 minutes ago, DarkScythe13 said:

I use them both these days but had grown up calling it plasma gun. Plasma rifle sounds more suitable from a lore perspective, but in game where i grew up with terms like ‘shotgun guy’ and ‘chaingun guy’, calling it plasmagun isnt so odd or unusual to me still.

Plazmennaya Vintovka.

Since vintovka is rifle on eng...well, Plasma Rifle. But sometimes I call it plasmagun just because nobody call it Plazmennaya Vintovka even in my country (just because it's too long to say, lmao).

SO, "OTHER".

I'm used more "plasma gun", it sounds way natural, but I don't mind second variation too. 

i call it blue balls slapped menacingly on a demon's face

EDIT: i've called it the PALSMA rifle far too many times while typing, I think it's time to own it

I've always called it a plasma rifle. Like Dark Pulse said, it's in the manual. :D

Whatever you want to call it tho. Tempted to call the rocket launcher a rocket lobber.

I always called it a plasma gun. The fact that I got into the series via Doom 3 may have something to do with that.

12 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I always called it a plasma gun. The fact that I got into the series via Doom 3 may have something to do with that.

Heresy. Especially since 2016 restored the proper terminology.

You would've had a nightmare if you were an Unreal/UT player.

Automag or Enforcer?

Razorjack or Ripper?

Eightball or Rocket Launcher?

WOW how the fuck did I just now remember that everyone called it the toaster back in the mid 00's. I remember loving that name as a kid. I swear almost every Doomer called it that at one point but now I never hear it anymore.

I'm kinda curious what people call every gun after this.. Is it a chaingun, machine gun, minigun or gatling gun? My dad always called it the gatling gun when I was little, not sure how he landed on that name.

I call it both. I'm still voting for Plasma Gun because I think I call it that more.

Also everyone saying that "Plasma Gun" is the official name, you're wrong. The TRUE official term for it is Palsma Gun.

18 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

You would've had a nightmare if you were an Unreal/UT player.

Automag or Enforcer?

Razorjack or Ripper?

Eightball or Rocket Launcher?

Lets not forget:

ASMD vs Shock rifle

Pulse gun vs Link gun

Minigun vs Stinger Minigun

;)

Both of them. I call it plasma gun in english and plazmová puška (plasma rifle) in my native language.

Supercharge or Soul Sphere.
Heavy weapon dude or Chaingunner.
Circle of Death or O' of Destruction.
SSG or Double-barreled.

We could go on and on.

I usually call it just the "plasma", but I definitely prefer "plasma rifle" more than "plasma gun".

"Gun" in "plasma gun" is too vague as it implies it could be any weapon that uses plasma, whereas "plasma rifle" is more specific and implies it has to be a rifle of some sort.

Spoiler

let's argue about semantics

I used to say "plasma rifle" more. Now I say "plasma gun" more. I also occasionally say "combat shotgun."