Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sir Hattington

Plasma rifle, or plasma gun?

Do you call the holy sixth weapon slot gun the Plasma rifle, or plasma gun?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call the plasma rifle? (I call it the plasma rifle)

5 hours ago, Gez said:

Lots of people will say it can't be a rifle because it's unlikely the cannon is rifled; however if we're being pedantic it also can't be a gun because it doesn't use gunpowder.

'Tis true. 

Let's just call it the Pew-Pew Ballthrower.

I have to know if the plasma gun has a rifled barrel before I can properly call it a plasma rifle. Unfortunately we never learn this information so it will always remain in a quantum superposition between gun and rifle.

22 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I have to know if the plasma gun has a rifled barrel before I can properly call it a plasma rifle. Unfortunately we never learn this information so it will always remain in a quantum superposition between gun and rifle.

To me, the part you can see most clearly when the gun is lifted up post-fire is the rifled part, so yes, you should call it a Plasma Rifle, because I think this community would go apeshit if I were forced to transperambulate you into pseudo-cosmic antimatter via reactor shielding disintegration.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:37 PM, Rathori said:

I think I'm gonna call it a Plasma Musket from now on.

Hold up, where the heck is my mod where I can fight demons in the 18th century!? 

Plasma rifles actually exist in real life. They can even sound like the DOOM weapon sometimes. But they're fairly weak, mostly emitting a white flash, followed by a mere projected gust which can blow light objects. Search for "plasma rifle" on YouTube. They look pretty cool too.

33 minutes ago, Tompig said:

Hold up, where the heck is my mod where I can fight demons in the 18th century!? 

Realm667 actually has such themed "Undead Hunters" and the like, who are like the Former Human Sergeants but 18th/19th century themed. You can add them to your mod.

If I’m being honest, I use “Plasma Rifle” in a lame attempt to sound “sophisticated” if I’m discussing the weapon in a serious forum post (I think because I used to see a lot of people refer to it as rifle on DW in the past, so I took to believing it to be the appropriate, technical, “cultured” terminology. Otherwise, I refer to it as the Plasma Gun, because I always have.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, Gez said:

Lots of people will say it can't be a rifle because it's unlikely the cannon is rifled; however if we're being pedantic it also can't be a gun because it doesn't use gunpowder.

"Gun" is also a terribly generic and vague name, that applies to anything from a pistol to ship-mounted artillery. Whereas "rifle" implies a certain size category, a size category in which Doom's slot 6 weapon fits comfortably. So, plasma rifle it is for me.

Though, to be honest, I generally just use "plasma". Likewise, the rocket launcher I generally just call "rocket".

This is wrong, though.

The "gun" is any ranged weapon that is emitting projectiles\anything of any sort by any mechanics, it doesn't have to be a gunpowder or powder of any sort; it doesn't even necessarily need to be pneumatically discharge it's projectiles. Hell, it doesn't even need to be projectiles, as Tesla Gun that shoots continous stream of lightning is perfectly fits in to it's literal description of a gun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun

Rifle is still a rifle only if said weapon using the rifled barrel to spin the rounds, with no exceptions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

Calling a weapon which isn't designed with helical pattern of grooves as it's core mechanics a "rifle" is simply incorrect.

Edited by MaxRideWizardLord : Made typo that I found after Rathori quoted me.

5 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Rifle is still a rifle only if said weapon using the rifled rounds, with no exceptions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

Since we're getting technical--a rifle's called a rifle because it has a rifled barrel, not because it fires rifled rounds. The only kind of rifled rounds I know of are Foster slugs, and those are designed to be fired from a smoothbore shotgun.

I call it the plasma gun because I can abbreviate it to PG. I don't like my gun being abbreviated to PR (public relations) :)

1 hour ago, Yugiboy85 said:

I call it the plasma gun because I can abbreviate it to PG. I don't like my gun being abbreviated to PR (public relations) :)

Wolf3D was voluntarily rated PC-13.

3 hours ago, Rathori said:

Since we're getting technical--a rifle's called a rifle because it has a rifled barrel, not because it fires rifled rounds. The only kind of rifled rounds I know of are Foster slugs, and those are designed to be fired from a smoothbore shotgun.

Must be typo on my side, my apologies. What I meant is rifled trunk, which is rifled barrel, yes (sometimes I mistake rifled barrel with spinning round, mostly due to the fact I'm not native english speaker. Mind you, I wrote that comment at 4 am), and since right after it I was talking about helical pattern of grooves, this is exactly what I meant by "rifled rounds". Maybe I've just wanted to say a spinning round and rifled barrel.

been calling it plasma rifle, ever since I was a kid who was still learning English. Since the first time I saw "plasma rifle" on the help screen, it sounded... more elaborate and sophisticated? than "gun".

On 8/27/2019 at 3:37 AM, Rathori said:

I think I'm gonna call it a Plasma Musket from now on.

I'll allow it, IF it's as slow and terrible as the person who made the Doom Classic Re-release trailer seems to think it is. (0:17)

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I'll allow it, IF it's as slow and terrible as the person who made the Doom Classic Re-release trailer seems to think it is. (0:17)

Spoiler

I'd say that cat did a pretty decent job playing Doom. For a cat, of course.

Plasma Gun for the win. It sounds better and in-game it says plasma gun, but when i was really young i used to call it laser gun

2 hours ago, STILES said:

Plasma cannon also sounds pretty cool.

THIS!! Cannon does sound a lot more bad ass.

3 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I'll chime in with the popular opinion that Plasma Rifle sounds cooler than Plasma Gun.

lol I think the same.