Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tomexplodes

Source port with mouselook for Windows 98?

Pretty much that. I have an old Win98se PC set up in my other room, I have the Depths of Doom trilogy, I'd love to play with a source port that supports mouse look and works on windows 98. THAT'S IT. Thank you for your face.

- Tom

ZDoom (not GZDoom, the old ZDoom) should work.

@drfrag can probably give you more precise recommendations, though.

Turns out novert does what I want.

Except it's broken on my 98 machine. Sigh. I'll check out ZDoom.

Edited by tomexplodes

I would suggest trying Zdoom LE. It is a fork of zdoom 2.8.1 that is meant to run on windows 9x and also comes with some fixes and a OpenGL 1.2 renderer.

18 hours ago, tomexplodes said:

Turns out novert does what I want.

Except it's broken on my 98 machine. Sigh. I'll check out ZDoom.

I mean, it's a TSR for MS-DOS, is it not? I think you'll find it works just fine if you reboot into MS-DOS mode, provided you don't have another mouse driver setup in autoexec.cfg (and you probably do).

I recommend PrBoom+ too. It's faithful to vanilla game.

Out of curiosity: why do you want to play Doom on Win98 machine? Does it have special hardware useful for Doom (Gravis Ultrasound, Roland SCC1 for example)?

ZDoom LE has many fixes and a few extra features and runs on 98, the MinGW build included not the main one (VS 2013). ZDoom32 also runs on 98, the version without the GL renderer (there were some problems with MinGW and the main build is made now with VS 2015).

DoomLegacy, has freelook.

The OpenGL was developed on the Win98, but the native draw is very good too and much faster for an older machine, and much better looking than 8 bit draw.

I still have the Win98 machine set up in the corner, although the Win builds are now done on a WinXP machine.

I have always been careful to preserve the ability to run on older machines, not require gaming processors.

I think it should still work fine.

For years it was compiled using MinGW on the Win98 machine.