Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnboy3434

Do you think any of the Doom games overstay their welcome?

1 hour ago, johnboy3434 said:

If there's anyone here who's actually 100%'d all of "Maximum Doom" (or as close to 100% as the subpar level design will allow), I'd love to hear about how soul-crushing the experience was.

O ye of little knowledge.

58 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Oh... I thought 100% is maxing the game, not only completing the game...

That's how I meant the topic to be: 100% kills, items, and secrets on each map (when possible). Just about everyone answering just went with the idea of merely beating the game, though.

I have finished neither Doom 64 nor Doom 2016.

Doom 64 is soaked in a depressing somber tone that gets pretty tiresome; the levels don't stand apart from each other and it's hard to stay interested. Never went through it from beginning to end.

Doom 2016 is too heavy on the arena shooter style for me, it gets boring for totally different reasons than 64. I feel like Serious Sam does the arena thing much better.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

I have finished neither Doom 64 nor Doom 2016.

Doom 64 is soaked in a depressing somber tone that gets pretty tiresome; the levels don't stand apart from each other and it's hard to stay interested. Never went through it from beginning to end.

Doom 2016 is too heavy on the arena shooter style for me, it gets boring for totally different reasons than 64. I feel like Serious Sam does the arena thing much better.

What?

1 hour ago, chungy said:

What?

1 hour ago, chungy said:

I feel like Serious Sam does the arena thing much better.

WHAT?

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 6.25.41 PM.png

2 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

That's how I meant the topic to be: 100% kills, items, and secrets on each map (when possible). Just about everyone answering just went with the idea of merely beating the game, though.

Well, 100% item is never fun to begin with...

28 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

WHAT?

Serious Sam's arena fights are more exciting to Doom 2016's arena fights IMO. Now shoot me.

Edited by GarrettChan

40 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

This is the first time I've heard people say good things about Serious Sam, so I do appreciate that.

Well it was a neat engine for its time, but it's actually considerably different from Doom in a lot of ways, so an apples-to-jicama comparison is impossible.

What's jicama, nobody said? I'm glad none of you asked!

Any non-Hell level in Doom 3 is a slog to get through. The balance is out of whack- Doom's best Hell design meets the worst, same-est techbase design I've ever seen. 

6 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

This is the first time I've heard people say good things about Serious Sam, so I do appreciate that.

Man, Serious Sam kicked ALL the ass when it came out.  Some MASSIVE boss fights.

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

...from Maximum Matt?

I'll have to comb through the wads I have left to create my personal 'Minimum Doom', but I still got to set some parameters for myself as to what qualifies for inclusion (e.g. is there a mandatory secret? Are there any HOMs or graphical glitches? Is the level competent but just boring as shit??)

Doom 2 and Doom 3.

Any 32 level Megawad I tend to get over. I rather them in chapters for a sense of completion such as Doom.

12 hours ago, chungy said:

Pretty much this.

If I had to choose between Serious Sam or Doom 2016, it would 100% no contest at all be Serious Sam. I don't even remember how many times I've played through all the games (except SS2 but luckily, they are planning a remake of it). Can't wait for Serious Sam 4 to come out.

I played through Doom 2016 twice and couldn't force myself to finish the 3rd playthrough. Haven't come back to it since. I might get Doom Eternal on a sale sometime after it releases but definitely not buying it on release.