Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DFF

Interception II CP (Old thread, Return to original)

Making a post here for all the members not on the discord. Just a reminder we are hoping to have map submissions close to/done by the end of the year so hopefully people may find time to start working on those if they haven't. One again I'm not expecting big awe-inspiring colossus maps (if you have them done by then, great!), as smaller maps can be a lot of fun too, so in this case small-medium sized maps with fun gameplay and decent detail could work well with time constraints.

Also there is now another mapslot open as Joe-Ilya cannot find the time for map23.

I'm working on map28 which will almost be finished, as well as a new alpha with some map and music updates.

if nobody has signed up for map 23, then I would like to give it a go if thats allright?

BUT due to the time constraints and my own projects, it will only be a short map, maybe something the size of E1M1 in Doom 1

also I can not promise anything "fancy" on the map since I am still learning to use Doombuilder, so it will likely be a more "classic" map

Edited by CBM

Yeah that should be fine, we’ll see what you come up with.  As stated small is fine, but I do expect it to have some substance and not a map that can be completed in under 20 seconds.

15 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Yeah that should be fine, we’ll see what you come up with.  As stated small is fine, but I do expect it to have some substance and not a map that can be completed in under 20 seconds.

ok,well I already have an alpha version of the map ready (simple.wad), but I will use the time until deadline to make improvements, I might post it so that it can be playtested

9 hours ago, CBM said:

ok,well I already have an alpha version of the map ready (simple.wad), but I will use the time until deadline to make improvements, I might post it so that it can be playtested

If you post it here or on the discord I can give it a try and provide feedback, if you like.

7 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

If you post it here or on the discord I can give it a try and provide feedback, if you like.

check out this thread..

look for simple.wad

@CBM I checked out the simple.7Z you submitted on that thread. Was was you submitted just testing all the textures and stuff to see what comes to mind? or whats available? No offence but what is currently there is not even a map (no exit), much less something that is up to par with the other maps present in this wad. Unless you are working on some other map or have a complete overhaul I don't think this is up to par. I'm not sure if I have the wrong map but this looks like a doom builder experiment rather than a map.

If you want feedback or editing help i'd love to share a few pointers, but really far from an acceptable state. I just bring this up before you put too much work in if this is what you've got present. If you're new to doom builder and map making I encourage you to experiment and play with the editor to learn the tools of map making, but this project isn't designed for this kind of entry level map.

I may be incorrect but i'm just concerned.

simple.zip

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@CBM I checked out the simple.7Z you submitted on that thread. Was was you submitted just testing all the textures and stuff to see what comes to mind? or whats available? No offence but what is currently there is not even a map (no exit), much less something that is up to par with the other maps present in this wad. Unless you are working on some other map or have a complete overhaul I don't think this is up to par. I'm not sure if I have the wrong map but this looks like a doom builder experiment rather than a map.

If you want feedback or editing help i'd love to share a few pointers, but really far from an acceptable state. I just bring this up before you put too much work in if this is what you've got present. If you're new to doom builder and map making I encourage you to experiment and play with the editor to learn the tools of map making, but this project isn't designed for this kind of entry level map.

I may be incorrect but i'm just concerned.

simple.zip

I was testing textures, there is an exit but it is unorthodox. But yes, the map is far from completed

I would like to try one of the other maps in progress to See what I Should be aiming at

I Also have Another map in the works

You can check any of the maps in the current alpha, my best guess for something simpler and passable might be map02. If I got a map like that that’s more than perfect, since I can do extra detailing as well. Reminder that the theme for map23 is outdoors, mountains, and industrial

i apologize if I was hasty, just what I saw was extremely rough.

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_133922.png.e2e1654732dfc5eace3747a4890f9067.png

2 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

You can check any of the maps in the current alpha, my best guess for something simpler and passable might be map02. If I got a map like that that’s more than perfect, since I can do extra detailing as well. Reminder that the theme for map23 is outdoors, mountains, and industrial

i apologize if I was hasty, just what I saw was extremely rough.

no problem it was also just a quick test made in a day... I did not see the theme description for the map... I will make sure to change the map so it can fit those...

I just worked on the map, is this the right direction I am heading in?

I have begun adding stuff that fits the theme.

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_132810.png.a331b8e735f12633ece875736f3b78bb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191124_132800.png.d89d9b20f1a9936ba734e6840b0bf512.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191124_132754.png.27c5939becf9029665932ac1e6144074.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191124_112400.png.310de61c115340f6d43ebde828c0b830.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191124_120735.png.d0231e0c4a490fba41d56b2bd6483ebf.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_120721.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_125648.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_132817.png

Edited by CBM

I'll test if this mapset is not slaughter and has difficulties implemented. Just please tell me what the "casual" mode is and I will stream a map or two with my thoughts available on Twitch under the username "warman2019"

Currently the level is entered through a door and left by entering a Green swirly teleport thing

Does the level need to connect to a Secret level?

No, this is map 23. No secret exits needed.

@warman2012 not sure what you mean with “casual” but I suppose HMP would be good to test if you want something easier. I wouldn’t say UV is super hard for this mapset but I would like to see HMP balance.

the only map that has slaughter elements is map29 so any of the rest should be fine for you.

@CBM also, for themeing I’d look at maps 27 and any after 20 for what map 23 should look like thematically

16 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@warman2012 not sure what you mean with “casual” but I suppose HMP would be good to test if you want something easier. I wouldn’t say UV is super hard for this mapset but I would like to see HMP balance.

the only map that has slaughter elements is map29 so any of the rest should be fine for you.

I test from a casual perspective as I play with that mindset in mind. I'd be happy to test the HMP or below if you wish.

I grade with a 20 point grading scale across 4 categories with each category being out of 5 points. These categories are item placement, navigability, monster encounters, and map asthetics. I offer commentary and pointers on my streams. If you wish, pm me a link for download.

Yeah sit tight for a bit, i'll link you a playable alpha, right now i'm handling a big update to the project.

54 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@CBM also, for themeing I’d look at maps 27 and any after 20 for what map 23 should look like thematically

Ok well I Will definetly be adding a large Outdoor area to the map simple Because of the Awesome architectual possibilities

Big update for those not on the Discord channel: The Mysterious Moustachio has finally returned to the project and thus is bringing a lot of his expertise and work back with him. This helps greatly and means a release shortly after december 31st is highly likely. 

With this said, TMM also is bringing back some of his maps, but we do not want to exlude the new mappers promising maps and their hard work. So please feel free to finish working on those maps. However if you don't see yourself finishing by the deadline please let me know so I can work on adding some of TMMs maps back in.

Yes, I don't want to override anything new. I'll gladly continue making edits to help flesh out these new contributions.

EDIT: And, for the record, this version of the wad was going to be posted to /idgames today when I just so happened to stumble across the continuation project server! This is by no means a replacement alpha/beta or RC or anything of the sort now, but there are many elements from this (such as the graphics and dehacked improvements) that can be merged in with the existing progress on I2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6szilvp15s53hv/interce2.zip?dl=1

I have been working some more on my simple.wad level for this megawad

I have the following plans...

adding 4 outside areas that are reached by teleports using the original map (50% completed) as a hub,

3 of the outside areas will contain a key (0% completed), the final outside area (50% completed) will need all 3 keys to unlock access to a teleporter that teleports the player to the exit room, where a switch ends the level

I also plan on adding some lifts as well..

there are 2 "dummy" doors on in the "hub" part of the map, that can not be opened and are not meant to be... This is because the map will have alternate ways to reach those areas... other areas have and will have more than one entrance

I hope the latest screenshots I posted had an acceptable visual quality

whats the deal with the monster that replaces the SS guy?

Edited by CBM

1 hour ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Don’t use the SS, it’s the final boss

Ok.... but it would be usefull to know what you think of the current progress of my level?

I know it is not completed but the latest screenshots are what I am trying to achieve for the whole level I am making.

It would be really helpfull if Some kind lost? Soul would give me Some feedback on the Visuals on my latests screenshots

From the few screenshots you hosted it’s hard to say, but if I had to say maybe leaning towards off theme. There shouldn’t be much if any of the green rock, try more of the natural colors.

simple.wad alpha version 2 is ready for testing and comments

play time... around 3 minutes atm

simple.rar

Edited by CBM : last minute bugfixes and forgot the file

I just discovered gzdoom builder 5 minutes ago... and the power this editor has versus doom builder 2 that I used before... oh man.... naturally any bugs or changes to simple.wad will now take place in GZDoom builder.... I made a slope in 2 seconds on a quick test map .... even without looking at any tutorials

2 hours ago, CBM said:

I made a slope in 2 seconds on a quick test map .... even without looking at any tutorials

Hopefully you understand this is a Boom project, and slopes can't be done in them as slopes are ZDoom compatibility. 

19 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Hopefully you understand this is a Boom project, and slopes can't be done in them as slopes are ZDoom compatibility. 

I know, I was just blown away at how much easier GZDoom Builder is compared to the Doombuilder 2 editor that I was using until now.

I just had to try out slopes on an UDMF map. Just curious but what does Boom support... ie. what cool stuff can I put in my map?