Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DFF

Interception II CP (Old thread, Return to original)

26 minutes ago, CBM said:

I know, I was just blown away at how much easier GZDoom Builder is compared to the Doombuilder 2 editor that I was using until now.

I just had to try out slopes on an UDMF map. Just curious but what does Boom support... ie. what cool stuff can I put in my map?

You can use scrolling floors that move things to teleport deaf monsters, things as well. You can use voodoo doll scripts to completely change the environment and, with just one press of the switch, do multiple actions. Generalized actions give more versatility to the already used lineactions. 

thanks, I will... I will be able to add much more details to simple.wad now with GZDoom builder vs doombuilder, for example.. gzdoom builder supports zoom up to 800% while doombuilder has a max of 200%

and gzdoom builder can convert between map types, including the map type boom uses

I have begun looking at tutorials for gzdoom builder (gzdoom builder ensures that all non boom options are unavailable on a map saved in the boom map format)

gzdoom builder also has a lot of tools to help with quickly making stuff... I now have the following plan for completion of simple.wad

1) the current map will be a basement section of some kind (might use a teleporter to get the player there) and the last 25% of the level (section 4 of 4)

2) I will be adding a "factory" section (section 3 of 4) with CEO, CTO, HR, Book-keeping, Meeting rooms, Bathrooms, Cantina, Offices, Reception, Lounge, Production, Storage, IT, Hall, Depot, Armoury, Storage area, Server room, Power, Sales, Shipping, Post office

3) I will be adding a dedicated mountain area (section 2 of 4)

4) I will be adding a dedicated outside area (section 1 of 4)

those are my plans for now :D

what editor are you guys using?

I switched to gzdoom builder r3097 today from Doom builder version 2.1.2.1553

Edited by CBM

Sounds like you got a pretty good planned layout so far. I'd love to see what becomes of it.

4 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Sounds like you got a pretty good planned layout so far. I'd love to see what becomes of it.

I just downloaded prboom to test in a proper boom engine and then took a look at boomedit.wad and boomref.txt and my favorite thing for now atleast, is the underwater effect! :D

also.. I love the texture pack for this project

On 11/27/2019 at 1:59 PM, NaZa said:

You can use scrolling floors that move things to teleport deaf monsters, things as well.

That is something to keep in mind that you can make work for you, things can be teleported with scrollers.

However, when it comes to monsters, while you can teleport monsters using conveyor belts, I've found that the monsters need to at least be alerted (which is where the deaf/ambush flag comes in) or they don't teleport for some reason.

made a little tex wad with mspaint made signs for the industrial part of the map

not sure how many I will need yet... might also need to center a few

texwad.png

Edited by CBM

All those boxes need to have the text centered. Some of these look very awkward with the text off-center as they are.

prboomtexmissing.png.04af4ad495b809ded0e8b9c93a90f3f9.png

18 hours ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

All those boxes need to have the text centered. Some of these look very awkward with the text off-center as they are.

yes, your are correct, I will center the text on all of them... I have some weird texture issue though...

the image to the left is inside prboom and the right is 3d mode in the editor

my texture wad looks like this:

texwad2.png.177274e3a95f38ff3b99af564a0d718c.png

Am I missing something regarding boom textures?

some of the texture tricks I discovered in gzdoom does not work in boom, so I had do redo some stuff in the room with the light switch

@CBM I would have to see how you have your wads set up. You may want to revise how your new patches are set up in PNAMES and TEXTURE1.

PrBoom+ can only load from one TEXTURE1 lump per game, so it may just be that you have two separate TEXTURE1 lumps overriding if you're loading the textures from two separate wads.

Also, you'll have to convert the PNGs to Doom Format. To do this, right click your PNG graphics and go to: "Graphic > Convert to...". Once you're in the menu, convert the textures to Doom Gfx (Paletted) and hit "Convert All".

Just a friendly reminder again to those mapping that all map subissions are due at the end of the month starting tomorrow (with some lee-way). Now's the time to push for map completion. Afterwards will (hopefully) be playtesting, detailing/rework, and general WAD improvements to get us closer to a full release. 

2 hours ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

@CBM I would have to see how you have your wads set up. You may want to revise how your new patches are set up in PNAMES and TEXTURE1.

PrBoom+ can only load from one TEXTURE1 lump per game, so it may just be that you have two separate TEXTURE1 lumps overriding if you're loading the textures from two separate wads.

Also, you'll have to convert the PNGs to Doom Format. To do this, right click your PNG graphics and go to: "Graphic > Convert to...". Once you're in the menu, convert the textures to Doom Gfx (Paletted) and hit "Convert All".

ok,well.... I am already using textures from lnt2-10-5-19.wad that has a texture1 lump

guess I will convert the pics to the doom palette and then they will just have to be added to the main wad when all is ready

You'll have to merge your textures into the Int2-10-5-19.wad TEXTURE1 lump. It's an outdated version either way so, by all means, go ahead and edit it.

10 minutes ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

You'll have to merge your textures into the Int2-10-5-19.wad TEXTURE1 lump. It's an outdated version either way so, by all means, go ahead and edit it.

Ok

nice, here is the entrance hall of the industrial part... still need signs

hallpic.png

2 hours ago, CBM said:

nice, here is the entrance hall of the industrial part... still need signs

hallpic.png

I hope those marble textures are here temporary, because it looks damn weird. Those baron textures works better as detail rather than full wall texture. I'd replace them into bricks or smooth marble texture. 

1 hour ago, Misty said:

I hope those marble textures are here temporary, because it looks damn weird. Those baron textures works better as detail rather than full wall texture. I'd replace them into bricks or smooth marble texture. 

yes, I was considering going for smooth marble. What do you think about the pictures on the wall?

I made them by messing with offsets of the wolf walls, my idea is that it is an evil company and they are therefore interested in having such grusome pictures on the wall

hallpic2.png

Edited by CBM

1 minute ago, CBM said:

yes, I was considering going for smooth marble. What do you think about the pictures on the wall?

For me it clashes, I'd search for better alternative. 

26 minutes ago, Misty said:

For me it clashes, I'd search for better alternative. 

something like this?

hallpic3.png

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Late but @CBM here is a text generator that can be used to create more Doomy text. Set the right transparent background color and you should be good to go. 

https://c.eev.ee/doom-text-generator/

Thanks

But I have begun scaling down my plans for my level due to time constraints, for example, the mountain, industrial and outside parts Will be smaller Than originally planned

Also, my knowledge of modern doom map making is still scarce, since last time I made doom maps was in 1999 using a dos based editor :)

Edited by CBM : autocorrect

29 minutes ago, Moustachio said:

Check out Dragonfly's Doom Tutorials for a good introduction to modern editing.

Thanks, I will... conveur belts.. thats just a scrolling texture right? I know that in GZ you can tell for example a river texture to scroll for example to the north and then the player will be transported with the stream when in the map

5 hours ago, CBM said:

Thanks, I will... conveur belts.. thats just a scrolling texture right?

In Boom, a conveyor belt scrolls in the direction that your control linedef is pointing. Depending on the type of linedef tag associated with the conveyor belt sector, it can carry what is on it in the direction it is scrolling. Obviously, conveyor belt don't work for flying monsters.

This link will take you to a pretty good basic introduction to conveyor belts (and other scrolling effects): https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom3.php

I will reiterate DFF's post from last week: you should check out BOOMEDIT. Jim Flynn, one of the creators of Boom, made this example wad to show off a variety of the new features in Boom, and it is a rather good introduction to a number of those features.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:27 PM, DerFurer'sFace said:

You should lookup boomedit.wad (i think,i may link). its a very helpful demo of various boom effects, lots of cool things. I learned proper scrolling light sectors from that.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/TeamTNT/boom/boomedit

14 hours ago, Pegleg said:

In Boom, a conveyor belt scrolls in the direction that your control linedef is pointing. Depending on the type of linedef tag associated with the conveyor belt sector, it can carry what is on it in the direction it is scrolling. Obviously, conveyor belt don't work for flying monsters.

This link will take you to a pretty good basic introduction to conveyor belts (and other scrolling effects): https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom3.php

I will reiterate DFF's post from last week: you should check out BOOMEDIT. Jim Flynn, one of the creators of Boom, made this example wad to show off a variety of the new features in Boom, and it is a rather good introduction to a number of those features.

I have been looking at boomedit.wad and none of the effects will work if I simply copy paste that map in to my own... And boomedit.wad only works if I run it unmodified in prboom

only effect I have been able to use thus far is the silent teleporting between linedefs with similar tags, but I would love to learn more stuff that will work in boom/prboom

are you also testing maps using prboom?

The conveur belt tut looks interesting and I will definetly try to incorporate that, seeing as I am required to have industrial as part of the map

I am hoping to get the water effect working as well...

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom2.php

I am already using teleports, lift & light effects

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom4.php

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom5.php

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/boom7.php

Found the link to dragonflys tuts

https://www.dfdoom.com/tutorials/

I would also love to use transparency effects, Just need to find a good way to use it, it seems to be fairly easy (just tagging a linedef?)

Edited by CBM

Through upgrading my PC and transferring files I managed to lose what progress I made. It really disheartened me but I think I've worked up the motivation to start again. Hope this isnt too late