Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

Sector Effect type 6 (Doom format mapping)... Also 15

gDE0GDK.png

I've been mapping for... decades. Literally, more than one decade, at this point. How the hell have I only just noticed there is no Sector Effect 6 or 15? Any guesses why the numbers were skipped? Some kind of hint in the source code, or a function unused in Doom II?

Interesting! It'd be good to have crushers in the map that don't require a line trigger, but an "ammo creator" is an unusual concept.

Would be cool to plug your plasma gun into a wall and have unlimited ammo in a specific area! Like a stationary gun with more freedom of movement.

I've noticed, whilst doing a bit of planning for some future work, that Line Actions 78 and 85 are undefined as well.

9 hours ago, Phobus said:

I've noticed, whilst doing a bit of planning for some future work, that Line Actions 78 and 85 are undefined as well.

The Unofficial DOOM Specs Release v1.666 mentions this

W4HfV9f.png

while Joe Pantuso's DOOM Game Editor book mentions

linetype 78 as

• Retrigger_LightsToDimmestNear
  • Lowers light level to lowest adjacent level
  • Not used anywhere

and linetype 85 as

• Retrigger_LwrFloorRaiseCeiling
  • this Linedef does nothing
  • Not used anywhere
Edited by Kappes Buur

Lower Floor and Raise the Ceiling at the same time, eh? That'd have been good to see. I've used ZDoom to achieve that multiple times. I can't say we needed another light changing linedef... I'm struggling to find homes for all of the ones we've got!

On lundi 26 août 2019 at 7:19 PM, SiMpLeToNiUm said:

Sounds similar to the ammo spawners from Skulltag invasion, maybe?

I imagine it was probably more like a sector where your ammo regenerates while you stand in it. Spawning items seems more involved than other sector effects are.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

I imagine it was probably more like a sector where your ammo regenerates while you stand in it. 

There are energy rechargers in Descent. Such a thing would only make sense in DOOM with the plasma cells, acting as battery superchargers.

Take a room with a lot of crates, put an "ammo storage" sign, bam, verisimilitude preserved.