Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
P41R47

What if we had get Wraith Corp. megaWADS as Final Doom?

Everyone loves and hate Final Doom for their own reasons (Evilutions is interesting for the level narrative and inmersion and is a total bore for the awful third part of the game being too boring / Plutonia is a total pushover for not hardcore Doomers), but what if instead of Final Doom as we know it, Id Software decided to release Hell 2 Pay and Perdition's Gate, the two Wraith Corporation megaWADS as Final Doom?

What differences do you think the community would be experimenting as of now?

For me, i think that the new standard would be something more in the line of A.L.T. I think is a natural evolution of Hell 2 Pay level narrative and gameplay.

As for Perdition's Gate, surely it would find it way to become the pinnacle of the cramped and meticulously crafted difficult but fair WADS. The first example of it that comes to mind is Revolution! (TVR!) but surely there are new entries to that type of gameplay. I imagine something in the way between Back to Saturn X eye candy and beautiful designed maps, and the first Scythe with the ton of fun and short levels.

They are my two favorite (Revolution! fight the second place with Perdition's Gate for me).

The introduction level of Hell 2 Pay is totally atmospheric and inmersive. The music helps a lot to the inmersion. And after reaching the courtyard... WOW! that was something truly spectacular for a 1996 megaWAD.

Well people, feel free to leave a comment and to show your love for this 2 megawads.

Have a nice day!

Edited by P41R47

Hell to Pay would largely fill the role we know Evilution fills, but Perdition's Gate has more of a mixed direction than any of the others. It's a great megawad for sure, just one that jumps between design goals as it switches aesthetic themes, and so it'd be the odd one out. Also, the larger presence of custom assets in Hell to Pay, a major selling point for it, would perhaps have led to more focus on partial conversions in the community for some time. I don't see a lot of assets taken from TNT.wad largely because they're artifact-ridden and somewhat watermarked; Hell to Pay would have proved more fruitful for new modders in the mid-1990s.

5 hours ago, PasokonDeacon said:

Hell to Pay would largely fill the role we know Evilution fills, but Perdition's Gate has more of a mixed direction than any of the others. It's a great megawad for sure, just one that jumps between design goals as it switches aesthetic themes, and so it'd be the odd one out. Also, the larger presence of custom assets in Hell to Pay, a major selling point for it, would perhaps have led to more focus on partial conversions in the community for some time. I don't see a lot of assets taken from TNT.wad largely because they're artifact-ridden and somewhat watermarked; Hell to Pay would have proved more fruitful for new modders in the mid-1990s.

Yeah, there are a lot of similarities between Hell to Pay and TNT: Evilution. The difference is the execution, i think. While Evilution flirted with context narrative, Hell to Pay do a (almost) full inmersion. An as you say, surely Doom community could have taken the way of partial to total conversion as a whole. OR maybe a more focused and inmersive contextual narrative.

Perdition's Gate is really a hell of a ride! Not too difficult, not too easy, just carfuly crafted, and also, pretty good with the contextual narrative. We need more wads like this two, for sure.