Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OneDoomedMarine

BD: BYHAE, a tale

So I never quit loving the mod for Doom 2, Beyond Hell and Earth. back in the days of BD19, it was a wonder to see and play. To this very moment, I still cherish it in my top 5 wad packs. But I seen people were kinda curious to see what happened to it's development, and wanted to tell that story.
So this was during the time that Project Brutality and Insanity's Brutality were also being born. If you notice, a loooooooot of assets from BYHAE were used in PB that were developed by the original creator of the map pack, Das_M. After playing it over and over for several months, I reached out to Das_M and asked if it'd ever be finished and he directly said to me no, because when he released the 15 map starter pack for the mod, the creator of PB and other modders helped themselves to the contained assets, despite them politely do so at that current moment. Now, one could argue, "Marine, even though it was beta, he did push the content out and ya know freedom to do as we please", etc. Well, personally, I feel like Das_M was disrespected a little bit by the modding community, and rightfully, he quit his work because people just kinda helped themselves to piggy back off their work. Now in no way is this a slam post, Project Brutality is my favorite game play mod for Doom, aside from Doomzone, so please do not take it as such. I just merely am regaling what the creator of the mod had said, and saw that people were once curious on the subject as to why we never got it. I, for one, and very sad to this very day, that we were cheated out of a finished BYHAE, despite getting BD Starter Pack and Extermination Day from SGT_MarkIV. 
At any rate, now ya have it, the story and my opinion on the matter! 

One Doomed Marin.png

When I saw the title, I thought "oh, maybe someone make BYHAE work with current BD v21 (or other similar mods)".

There was at least one modded/fixed BYHAE at moddb, but the uploaders were asked to put it down. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to try it. Maybe someone can provide a link here. 

I still have this screen as I asked the uploader in private long ago https://archive.is/oJfHR (He didn't reply to me)

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=byhae.pk3 TSPG has it.

To be honest, nobody stops him from trying again with different name and project, but seems his mindset after those events shifted to " all modders and mappers are thieves and they will steal my work if I try again, so I won't work on this shit anymore", judging from past interactions with him on specific fb groups. Too bad, because he's a good modder and mapper... only thing what others can learn is to release their work when it's ready, provide credits and release their resources if they did them or tell to ask permission. Also, letting go of the past and accepting past facts the way they are is also good path of healing, you can only choose how to act and feel. Such things happen on larger scales, look at leaks, data stealing, spying and so on from governments, corporations and ect. 

3 hours ago, eviltechno said:

That's not the v21 version. Just the usual file spreading around from 2013.

Nobody stops you to make it v21 version compatible. Slade and some knowledge how mod and maps work is needed. It shouldn't be difficult to port it. 

It was not just BD21 compatible. AFAIK there were other fixes and additions. So if anything, making that already improved BD21 RC1 (?) version of BYHAE compatible with BD21 RC11 (gold) would be the best and easiest way, but someone has to post that version. (Maybe someone has a better wire to XV117)

BYHAE is my favorite wad to date, and I hated to see it suddenly disappear years ago, every single reference, every single link gone. Even the guy making the tracks for the wad kept going, hoping that Das_M would return. The only reason I don't play it much is cause of the new versions of BD, though it makes a serious case to play the older versions.

Fun fact, my first ever complete level ripped the shit out of that wad, from textures to Marine emplacements, to music. It only occurred to me when I finished that I would never be able to share it due to how much it relied piggybacking off BYHAE.