Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheDoomDude

The Doom timeline.

So what is cannon in the doom timeline and in what order are they in? From what I've gathered it goes The Ultimate Doom, Doom ll, Doom(2016), Doom Eternal, and I'm not sure where the other games fit in.

There isn't one. Doom's storyline has always been dodgy at best, almost by design. Therefore, it's really up to you what you want the canon to be.

For me, it's Ultimate Doom (not Sigil), Doom II, Doom 64, and then *possibly* Doom 4&Eternal. Doom 64 to me is an important part of the "story" because it ends with Doomguy choosing to stay in Hell to prevent further demons from arising. Personally, I think that's a pretty beautiful ending, and so I sort of regard Doom 4 as a sequel/reboot hybrid (like the movie Evil Dead 2). And Doom 3 is a straight up retelling of the story, so it's its own thing.

The only reason I don't count TNT or Plutonia is because I'm not as familiar with their storylines, and Sigil's story doesn't make sense to my headcanon.

10 minutes ago, Hartwolf said:

it's Ultimate Doom (not Sigil), Doom II, Doom 64, and then *possibly* Doom 4&Eternal. Doom 64 to me is an important part of the "story" because it ends with Doomguy choosing to stay in Hell

This makes the most sense to me, as I do believe the 2d games and the 2016 reboot are connected with doomguy and doomslayer being the same person simply due to this image seen in Sam's office:1681446527_723808592_preview_Slayerscripture.jpg.ef52799aaa0b0db4724e2d511ce16004.jpg

As for Doom 3, I never considered it to fit into the timeline simply because of the art style of the demons and how different in design they appeared to be as well as how under-powered doomguy is, but at the same time there will be plotholes with this timeline. Like how did the hellknight go from a baron repaint to the doom 3 hellknight, why does the cacodemon have arms and no pupils, why does the mancubas now have one eye, how did the revenant go from being a demon brought back to life to being a UAC soldier turned demon. The list goes on, but I'll end it here.

21 minutes ago, Hartwolf said:

Doom 64

Also, is there a way to play Doom 64 without owning a 64? I've looked for it on steam but couldn't find it.

As far as I know Doom 2016 is a reboot (much like 3) so it can't be connected to previous titles, all those nods, easter eggs and references are just that. And the events in Final Doom games don't have a significant impact / side stories perhaps.

As far as I know this image is actually cannon as it depicts what appears to not only be Doomguy(More likely dubbed Doomslayer by this point) fending off Demons along side the knight sentinels who are trying to protect agent d'nur (This would explain why they show up later to "help" Doomslayer during the final level of Doom 2016 also known as argent d'nur) but also the hooded figure watching might be the betrayer, or perhaps I'm reading too much into this image and the reason the knights show up at the end is because you were destroying the wraiths. Who knows.

2 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

Also, is there a way to play Doom 64 without owning a 64? I've looked for it on steam but couldn't find it.

I'm assuming you don't have a Doom 64 cartridge so I can't recommend Doom64 EX. You should try Doom 64: Retribution. It's a total conversion for GZDoom and includes lots of extra maps and graphical updates (you can disable these). Try it and see if you like it, personally I love Doom 64.

To understand the Doom timeline, you must, of course, begin from the beginning: Wolfenstein. Let me start you off there:

ovxJuKm.jpg

After Wolfenstein, you must then also familiarize yourself with the Commander Keen canon. I'll leave you time to get yourself acquainted.

Edited by Revenant100

I used to know this all by heart. Anyway, someone on gamefaqs usually keeps track of all timelines via year dates in game. The Mortal Kombat timeline is fascinating.

I'll try to ballpark what I remember...

GEO CAN REMEMBER?

Doom 3 (I can argue my way that it happens before Doom 1 to set it up), Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 64, Final Doom (hell arrives from Jupiter on flying saucers, someone back me up, it's that crazy right?), Doom 4.

And as we all know my 100% flawless accuracy that Doom 2 loops back before Doom 1 & 3 since you do go back in time to Nazi Germany to kill your father as a boy to ensure that you do not become the Icon of Sin and Doom Earth.

WIKIA'S TIMELINE

Here's what Wikia has to say... I won't link it since the site is evil, but I will quote it:

2018 - The military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel.[4]

2019 - The Marine assaults a superior officer, and is transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

2021 - July 1 - DOOMNL 01-D19305-1C is published.[5]

2022[5]

March 15 - Mars receives a message from Phobos base stating that the base is under attack and requesting backup.[5]

A few hours later, the marines land and try to stop the invasion. The Marine is ordered to stay behind and protect the perimeter. The marine forces are wiped out or turned into monsters. Planetary authorities send the final Marine the new DOOMNL 01-D19505-1D replacing earlier manual (now including briefing for the Marine, and images from the invasion captured by remote video cameras. The video data was computer analyzed by the UAC and the results are provided "here and only here")[6]. The Marine leaves the escape pod vowing to take down as much of the invasion force as possible before death.

Knee Deep In the Dead begins as the Marine arrives in the Hangar Atrium.

Knee Deep in the Dead ends as the Doom marine is ambushed by the forces of hell upon arriving on Deimos, and presumably dies.

Shores of Hell begins as the Doom Marine finds himself alive somehow, and pushes against the forces of Hell.

Shores of Hell ends as the Doom Marine rappels down the surface of Deimos, discovering that it is now orbiting above Hell itself.

Inferno begins as the Doom Marine arrives on the surface of Hell.

Inferno ends with the Doom Marine killing the Spider Mastermind, the general of the Phobos and Deimos invasions, and 'rewarded' with a gateway to Earth discovering Earth has been invaded and his pet Rabbit is killed.

Thy Flesh Consumed begins (an interquel of sorts inserted after Shores of Hell and before or during Doom II). The Doom Marine continues to fight in revenge for his dead pet Daisy stopping the Spider Mastermind's invasion force sent through to earth before he got there. But he is unable to prevent Hell on Earth.

Meanwhile, a Marine stops a demonic invasion on the UAC Mars Base on Mars over the course of a few days. He is given leave to return to Earth. He was the only survivor on Mars. He returns to earth in a drop pod only to discover it has been invaded by the Demons from the Outside.[7]

Doom II begins

No Rest for the Living begins

The Doom Marine continues his battles on Earth after Hell's forces were seemingl vanquished, and is forced to travel to a pocket universe to stop another demonic threat.[8]

The Union Aerospace Corporation is entirely reformed, as the original stockholders, trustees and management were killed in the invasion of Earth, and begin managing two projects; one in an unknown jungle, and the other on one of the moons of Jupiter.

TNT Evilution begins with the Doom Marine, the last surviving marine Jupiter moon base, once again fighting against the forces of Hell.

TNT Evilution ends with the Doom Marine destroying the Demon-spitter

The Quantum Accelerators succeed in their maiden test, however fail in their second activation leaving one Gate left open for the forces of Hell to

Yearly supply ship reaches Jupiter's moon. Demons use it to invade the UAC base there.

The Plutonia Experiment begins as the Doom Marine fights against the forces of Hell again after arriving via pickup truck.

The Plutonia Experiment ends with the Doom Marine destroying the Gatekeeper, swallowing up the final demons and the accelerator.

The fatigued Doom Marine is decommissioned, and the military DOOM Episodes are classified. The UAC's bases are sealed, and quarantined by radioactive bombardment.

Years Later[9]

Mother Demon survived in radiation of bombarded planetary space installation. Shielded in the radiation it resurrected the demons mutrinf them into stronger and more vicouous forms.

Doom 64 begins. The Doom Marine is re-commissioned to stop and the latest invasion, he stops the Motherdemon's forces which had been building in the former battlegrounds he failed to clear.

Doom 64 ends. The Doom Marine decides to stay in Hell to prevent the rise of another demon lord after destroying the Motherdemon.

The story that Doom supposedly “doesn’t have” can be found in it’s entirety here, but it ends with Doom64: https://doomshack.org/doomstory.html

It’s not exactly high art but it’s a fun narrative to follow and gives you context - answers all the when’s, where’s and why’s 

4 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

This makes the most sense to me, as I do believe the 2d games and the 2016 reboot are connected with doomguy and doomslayer being the same person simply due to this image seen in Sam's office:1681446527_723808592_preview_Slayerscripture.jpg.ef52799aaa0b0db4724e2d511ce16004.jpg

As for Doom 3, I never considered it to fit into the timeline simply because of the art style of the demons and how different in design they appeared to be as well as how under-powered doomguy is, but at the same time there will be plotholes with this timeline. Like how did the hellknight go from a baron repaint to the doom 3 hellknight, why does the cacodemon have arms and no pupils, why does the mancubas now have one eye, how did the revenant go from being a demon brought back to life to being a UAC soldier turned demon. The list goes on, but I'll end it here.

According to concept art for DooM, the revenant was originally supposed to be some sort of attempt to resurrect dead marines (probably some UAC dead soldier revival program) but Sandy probably shitcanned the idea because he didn't like it, or he believed the "doom story" would've been better just to have the UAC stumble upon hell by accident during the gateway experiments, no strings attached. Obviously the team for DOOM16 liked the idea, and reincarnated it as the well, just normal UAC security personnel being transformed into revenants as an "experiment".

As for enemy designs changing, either chalk it up to "there's different universes, with different dimensions of hell, Classic DooM has one, Modern DOOM has one, and DOOM3 has one, but characters, and stories may overlap etc" and

Or maybe because art designs change due to different design focuses, different artstyles, etc

6 hours ago, TheDoomDude said:

So what is cannon in the doom timeline and in what order are they in? From what I've gathered it goes The Ultimate Doom, Doom ll, Doom(2016), Doom Eternal, and I'm not sure where the other games fit in.

Hmm i guess Timeline does not mean Story, so it should be:
Doom -  Ultimate Doom -  Doom II -  Final Doom - Master Levels for Doom -  Doom 3 - ROE - Doom3 BFG Edition/NRFTL -  Doom 2016 and Si6il

I'm one of those people who try to make sense of kinda nonsensical stories. My canon goes Doom, Thy Flesh Consumed, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia, Doom 64 then Doom 2016/Eternal. I kinda like the idea that the same guy keeps having to deal with demonic invasions so I think it's the same Doom-guy throughout. 

Pretty much in agreement with most of the posts here. 

Spear of Destiny 

Wolfenstien 3d/ Return to Castle Wolfenstien (more or less the same things as far as the early levels go I think).

Wolfenstien 

Wolfenstien: The Old Blood

Wolfenstien: The New Order

Wolfenstien: The New Colossus  

Wolfenstien: Young Blood/ Wolfenstien: Cyber Pilot 

Wolfenstien: The New # 3 (whatever it will be called)

Commander Keen (series.)

(New) Commander Keen

The Ultimate Doom/ Doom 3 (both can possibly be taking place simultaneously, as Doom 3 is on Mars, and Ultimate Doom is on Phobos, then Deimos)

Doom 2: Hell on Earth 

Final Doom

Doom 64

Quake 1? Slipgate project might have been the military trying to get a handle on the Hell gate threat.

POSSIBLE PLUG: Rage and Rage 2? Date's don't line up though...

Doom 2016

Doom Eternal 

I try to think of this more of what are the 'main' games in the series rather than the storyline as it's clearly very jumbled.

Though I do love the idea that the 'Slayer' is the 'Guy' from the original games that has been locked up for being an OP bringer of the apocalypse for Hell. 

I bet Doom Eternal is going to piss all over any fan theory.  Esp mine...

First of all, Rage, Wolfenstein and the Quake series all take place in their own universe.  They are connected only through the QC world via slipgate.

2145-2147:  Doom 3/Resurrection:  This is eventually covered up by the UAC and they move operations to their new laboratory (which they been building all along right?).  The Doom Marine here might actually be the Doomguy.

2152:  Events of Doom 2016.

2153:  The events of Knee-Deep in the Dead and Shores of Hell:  The Doomguy is sent to Phobos and classic doom plays out.  Here is our Doom Eternal DLC!!!!

2153:  Hell Invades Earth and the Doomslayer returns and begins Doom Eternal.

Unknown:  Doomguy fights off hell in Inferno DLC

2153:  Doomguy returns to fight Hell on Earth.  Meanwhile the Doomslayer is doing Doomslayer things in the multiverse and/or Doom 666.

2155:  After cleaning up Earth; the story of Doom 64 begins.  The Doom guy stops another invasion but is transported to the world of Argent D'nur (Army of Darkness) where he fights off the Eternal Conflict and teaches the Night Sentinel army on how to be a bad ass.  Doomguy becomes the Doomslayer.

Unknown:  Doomslayer is trapped ... again and the cycle continues ... eternally.  Pun intended!

Most of these are great, but it is confirmed that Doomguy(From doom (1993) at least) is bj blazkowicz the third, so I would say the timeline mosty looks like this:

Wolfenstein Games

Commander Keen Games

Doom Games:

16 hours ago, geo said:

2018 - The military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel.[4]

2019 - The Marine assaults a superior officer, and is transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

2021 - July 1 - DOOMNL 01-D19305-1C is published.[5]

2022[5]

March 15 - Mars receives a message from Phobos base stating that the base is under attack and requesting backup.[5]

A few hours later, the marines land and try to stop the invasion. The Marine is ordered to stay behind and protect the perimeter. The marine forces are wiped out or turned into monsters. Planetary authorities send the final Marine the new DOOMNL 01-D19505-1D replacing earlier manual (now including briefing for the Marine, and images from the invasion captured by remote video cameras. The video data was computer analyzed by the UAC and the results are provided "here and only here")[6]. The Marine leaves the escape pod vowing to take down as much of the invasion force as possible before death.

Knee Deep In the Dead begins as the Marine arrives in the Hangar Atrium.

Knee Deep in the Dead ends as the Doom marine is ambushed by the forces of hell upon arriving on Deimos, and presumably dies.

Shores of Hell begins as the Doom Marine finds himself alive somehow, and pushes against the forces of Hell.

Shores of Hell ends as the Doom Marine rappels down the surface of Deimos, discovering that it is now orbiting above Hell itself.

Inferno begins as the Doom Marine arrives on the surface of Hell.

Inferno ends with the Doom Marine killing the Spider Mastermind, the general of the Phobos and Deimos invasions, and 'rewarded' with a gateway to Earth discovering Earth has been invaded and his pet Rabbit is killed.

Thy Flesh Consumed begins (an interquel of sorts inserted after Shores of Hell and before or during Doom II). The Doom Marine continues to fight in revenge for his dead pet Daisy stopping the Spider Mastermind's invasion force sent through to earth before he got there. But he is unable to prevent Hell on Earth.

Meanwhile, a Marine stops a demonic invasion on the UAC Mars Base on Mars over the course of a few days. He is given leave to return to Earth. He was the only survivor on Mars. He returns to earth in a drop pod only to discover it has been invaded by the Demons from the Outside.[7]

Doom II begins

No Rest for the Living begins

The Doom Marine continues his battles on Earth after Hell's forces were seemingl vanquished, and is forced to travel to a pocket universe to stop another demonic threat.[8]

The Union Aerospace Corporation is entirely reformed, as the original stockholders, trustees and management were killed in the invasion of Earth, and begin managing two projects; one in an unknown jungle, and the other on one of the moons of Jupiter.

TNT Evilution begins with the Doom Marine, the last surviving marine Jupiter moon base, once again fighting against the forces of Hell.

TNT Evilution ends with the Doom Marine destroying the Demon-spitter

The Quantum Accelerators succeed in their maiden test, however fail in their second activation leaving one Gate left open for the forces of Hell to

Yearly supply ship reaches Jupiter's moon. Demons use it to invade the UAC base there.

The Plutonia Experiment begins as the Doom Marine fights against the forces of Hell again after arriving via pickup truck.

The Plutonia Experiment ends with the Doom Marine destroying the Gatekeeper, swallowing up the final demons and the accelerator.

The fatigued Doom Marine is decommissioned, and the military DOOM Episodes are classified. The UAC's bases are sealed, and quarantined by radioactive bombardment.

Years Later[9]

Mother Demon survived in radiation of bombarded planetary space installation. Shielded in the radiation it resurrected the demons mutrinf them into stronger and more vicouous forms.

Doom 64 begins. The Doom Marine is re-commissioned to stop and the latest invasion, he stops the Motherdemon's forces which had been building in the former battlegrounds he failed to clear.

Doom 64 ends. The Doom Marine decides to stay in Hell to prevent the rise of another demon lord after destroying the Motherdemon.

After fighting in Hell for several years, Doomguy fights off the invasion of Argent D'nur along side the Knight Sentinels with the betrayer watching, but being one man Doomguy can't be everywhere at once and Argent D'nur falls and becomes part of hell. After seeing Doomguy's raw anger and hatered for the Demons, the betrayer grants Doomguy his new suit and new power, forever making him immune to age and making him the strongest and fastest human alive.

After eons of doing population control, the doomslayer falls into a demon trap, and the Tower of Babel is dropped on top of him and the Doomslayer is put into a deep slumber until the events of Doom 2016 kick off.

I grew up thinking the FINAL DOOM story was canon.  It always seemed to me a really cool story, albeit nothing like these events are ever seen in a game iirc.  I always thought a sci-fi ghost ship was a cool concept.  Like Unicron from Transformers but mixed with Zombies.  2006 PREY had me rather intrigued.

I am a huge fan of the DOOM 3 Imp and the blurred lines between aliens-from-an-alternate-dimension and demons-from-hell.  'Invaders' is what I think they were dubbed.  Yeah, Im that guy.

"The research went on, more boldly, and less cautiously. All the marines received the Silver Star from a grateful government, and the UAC made an enormous contribution to the Veteran's Fund. The defensive positions were strengthened, and the marines watched closely for another attempt, all their attention drawn inward towards the Gates. They were looking in the wrong direction.

Hell knew more than one trick. Months after the Gate incident, the yearly supply ship came ahead of time. On radar, the ship looked far larger than usual. And it was coming from the wrong direction. Strange, but not inexplicable. The lax radar operators reported the ship's approach, and personnel went out to the landing field to meet it. But it never landed. Instead, it hovered over the base, miles in the air. The men and women looked up at it, and saw that something was terribly wrong. The ship could not have come from Earth. It was huge, kilometers long, and was built of bone, steel, flesh, corruption, and death. It was a bio-mechano-magical construct from the depths of Hell and It had come through space for its vengeance. Enormous doors, large as football fields, irised open and hideous demons poured out, plunging to the ground and blanketing the entire base with their throbbing, pulsing bodies. They were everywhere at once. The marines' defenses, set up to prevent an attack from the direction of the Gate, were worthless. The monsters poured through the sewers, the air vents, the hallways, everywhere, rampaging, corrupting, and feasting."

Personally I've had a headcanon timeline of:

(Previous ID games, wolf, keen, etc..)

Doom (1993)
- Ultimate Doom: Episode IV
- SIGIL: Episode V

Doom II: Hell on Earth
- No Rest for the Living*
-Master Levels of Doom II*
*(Doomguy's clean up)

Final Doom
- TNT: Evilution
- Plutonia Experiment

Doom 64
(Original DG stays in hell)

-Time passes-*2

Doom 3
- Resurrection of Evil (2 years later)

-Time Passes-*2

*2(Argent D'Nur and other stuff happens)

Doom (2016)
(Original DG now Doom Slayer awakens)

Doom Eternal

(At some point, Nazis from Spear of Destiny: Return to Danger go to the future to DOOM II as seen with UAC boxes in Spear of Destiny and Nazis in DOOM II)

I've been honestly looking for a place to post this and have it be dissected by others.

I'm really liking the version by @Zemini 

I think it's basically

Ultimate Doom

Sigil

Doom II + Master Levels + No Rest for the Living

TNT

Plutonia

Doom 64

Doomguy stays in hell, eventually becomes Doomslayer.

In another universe/timeline linked to the original one through hell:

Doom 3 + BFG Lost Missions concurrently

Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil

Long time passes

Doomslayer is found

Doom (2016) + Doom VFR concurrently

Doom Eternal

So all the games have the same protagonist except the Doom 3 series and VFR. All the classic games are in one universe, all the modern games are in another one that Doomguy gets to via hell.

For me it's:

Doom [Episodes 1 to 3] - Doomguy is sent to Phobos, shit happens, goes to Deimos and then hell, kills the mastermind.

Ultimate Doom [Thy flesh consumed] - Doomguy makes his way through hell as he tries to reach earth to stop the demons there.

Sigil [Episode 5] - Doomguy is sent to another place in hell, and he makes his way to earth.

Doom II - Doomguy makes his way to trough the space port, then his own hometown and then hell again, kills the Icon of sin.

No Rest For The Living - Doomguy kills some remaining demons in earth

Final Doom [Plutonia] - Doomguy is having some nice vacation. The UAC creates the quantum accelerator device and hell strikes back. Doomguy goes to Africa or South America, I don't know, goes to the Devil's hive, kills the gatekeeper

Final Doom [TNT] - Doomguy becomes a sergeant, survives the first attack of the demons, and then he goes for a walk in the fields of IO, meanwhile demons make another ambush and the marines die. Doomguy gets very, VERY angry because of the death of his friends. Goes to hell, kills the demon-spitter.

Doom 64 - Doomguy becomes the only veteran of the incident on Mars, Deimos, Phobos, Earth and IO. the archives were classified under the name ''DOOM''. The UAC finds out about the mother demon, sends a massive strike to Phobos and Deimos. Doomguy kills the mother demon and decides to stay in hell.

About the new Doom. Yes, I know it's reboot, but the theory of Doomguy being the Doom Slayer makes sense, and there's proof of Doom Slayer holding daisy's feet in QC.

That's my timeline for the classic doom games, I think Doom 3 takes place the same time as Doom/Ultimate Doom and Resurrection of Evil happens alonside Final Doom.

You're all thinking about it wrong... Cyclical universes. Kalpas son! Universes destroyed and reborn, only to follow an (almost) similar cycle of events. Rev up those Elder Scrolls, Doomguy... when this universe reboots, you're going to be the Doomslayer!

In A.D. 2101, war was beginning.

Hmm... nope, that ain't it. Err, let's see...

In the year 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep-space miners, the New Earth Government legalized no-holds-barred fighting...

...Nope, still ain't it. Shit.

Lemme get back to ya on that.