Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

sound card

Whats the full name of the soundcard being used at 9:38 when romero is playing doom??

I wan't my doom game to sound like that, like really bad!

Nvm... I downloaded DMXOPL.wad (ver. 1.11) and now it sounds exactly the one romero is playing with in doom.

It sounds very nice.

Edit: Nvm... it isnt the same as the one in that video.

I wan't to have my doom music set like that, its so much more authentic. 

Edited by vanilla_d00m

I know this definitely isn't it, but it sounds somewhat like MT-32 in default mode:

It also sounds similar to Soundblaster AWE64 FM:

EDIT: also see this

Edited by gotsu : added a link to a past dw thread

It sounds like Adlib/Sound Blaster.  The cymbals have that distinctive FM synth sound to them.  As such, how the instruments sound depends on how the game programs them, not the sound card--DOS games with Adlib music come with their own "instruments" stored as parameters that get sent to an FM card.  So no sound card will automatically sound like that video; you just have to use whatever FM instruments/GENMIDI lump they were using in the game at the time.  The FM instruments from Heretic, particularly the drums, sound similar to the ones in that video.

Here is a sample recorded in DOSBox.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

That early doom version uses a different GENMIDI lump that was changed in the final version, now Heretic has that GENMIDI lump from the early version, so all you have to do is make a wad file, copy the GENMIDI lump from heretic, paste it to your wad, then start up doom and set midi device to opl3

I'll try that now... one last thing before I stop playing this game thats making me dizzy.  I have not adapted at all since april, but I accomplished so much for the game just for the feel of playing all the best shit in the 90's. 

EDIT: I tried it just now on opl emulation... it sounds just like it!  What a freaking download!  (E1M1 & E1M8 sound awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I gave you a like, this file should be put on the doomworld downloads Lol

You made the day I quit all FPS's more manageable.. :)

Edited by vanilla_d00m