Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Some Serious Level Editing

I want to get into editing, starting with some levels I've already designed, but if I want to move into more complex editors like DeepSea and Z-Doom, what will I need? DO editors like that come with guides? will most everything be downloadable...what's a good transition period for moving onto advanced levels, in other words, how many levels should i make using DEU or Wadauthor whatever, before i try the advanced utilities, like several dozen or, just a safe ballpark figure...Thanks

I'm sure DeepSea comes well documented since you have to pay for it, and zdoom has its own forum where not a few people go.

I don't think you have to make that many. It's a matter of learning what's possible with the engine. You could even start right away with a source engine WAD, maybe keeping it light in regards to special features. After all, doing a plain DOOM WAD is different from doing one from zdoom. New features may change your design requirements, and you may want to ignore some doom tricks that may be done similarly with scripting or boom features. You would also have to keep limits (to avoid VPOs and HOMs) in mind if you make a doom WAD, which is complexity a zdoom designer will in most regards ignore.

Xanthier said:

what's a good transition period for moving onto advanced levels, in other words, how many levels should i make using DEU or Wadauthor whatever, before i try the advanced utilities, like several dozen or, just a safe ballpark figure

A couple of clarifications -- you may be confusing source ports with editing utilities. Source ports (such as ZDooM, Legacy, etc.) offer features beyond those offered by vanilla DooM -- colored lighting, deep water, room-over-room, slopes, scripting, etc. Editing utilities come in different flavors. WadAuthor, for example, is meant primarily for creating and editing maps. DeepSea and XWE, on the other hand, may be used for map editing as well as managing other elements of a wad (known as lumps). WinTex is another example of an all-round wad manager and map editor.

WadAuthor, DeepSea, and XWE all allow you to make and edit maps for source ports.

If you're comfortable with designing and creating maps for vanilla DooM, doing the same for a source port is not too difficult. I began working with ZDooM about a year after I began editing for vanilla DooM. I had done 6 regular maps and 8 partial conversion maps before I began my 5-level TC for ZDooM. However, I'm sure there are people who've jumped right into editing for a source port.

[QUOTE]ReX said:
[B]A couple of clarifications -- you may be confusing source ports with editing utilities. Source ports (such as ZDooM, Legacy, etc.) offer features beyond those offered by vanilla DooM -- colored lighting, deep water, room-over-room, slopes, scripting, etc. Editing utilities come in different flavors. WadAuthor, for example, is meant primarily for creating and editing maps. DeepSea and XWE, on the other hand, may be used for map editing as well as managing other elements of a wad (known as lumps). WinTex is another example of an all-round wad manager and map editor.

Thanks REx, i meant an editor for Z-Doom, in order to make more complex levels. I was not sure if that's what DeepSea was for

Thanks guys, I think I will at least build the maps i already have drawn to start wtih, just using a normal editor, and see what the reaction is...I'll let you know when they are available for playing, so you can evaluate me.

Meanwhile I'll keep working on the concepts for my TC because I've had an idea for a while and that will give me more time to fine-tune my plans, whether i get to work on it months from now, or a year from now :)

Sorry about the double posts, but theres no way to delete either :(
thanks for the heads up ravage.

Hey xanither, not to be rude or anything, but there is an edit button, sometimes it gets kinda annoying the double posts, that and the mods will get mad.