Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

Invunerability

WHAT IF THE INVUNERABILITY WAS HOLY WATER!?!?  I MEAN IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!

I MEAN, HOLY WATER IS USED TO WARD OFF DEMONS, WHY WOULDN'T IT BE USED TO PROTECT YOURSELF!!!??

I'm sorry it's midnight and i'm angry at my friend for forcing me to do a shitty cringy RP. 

The invulnerability powerup wraps around thee covering you in a translucent film but hugs your skin so well it is absorbed inside of your body and makes you impervious to any damage as well as improving your skin condition; but though may it cleanse yourself inside and outside, all of that waste must be expelled and the result is you the Doomguy expelling tears of pure light from the eyes. The holy water inside keeps to itself until you touch it because Doomguy is the most compatible thing to such lost globules of divine essence in the doomed hellscape.

Wait I thought we all agreed the invulnerability sphere was filled with lime flavored bubble tea and that Doomguy drinks it

2 hours ago, Boomslang said:

WHAT IF THE INVUNERABILITY WAS HOLY WATER!?!?  I MEAN IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!

I have yet to see a bottle of water negate the impact of an exploding rocket. Show me a bottle of water that can stave off an explosion powerful enough to rip a human to shreds, then we can have a conversation about how much sense it makes. ;-)

Another question; why can't the demons use their own artefacts, like the invulnerability etc.

Better yet, why don't bad bad guys in any (all commercial FPS; I've seen it in some Wolf3D mods) use any pickups the player uses, themselves?

4 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Another question; why can't the demons use their own artefacts, like the invulnerability etc.

Better yet, why don't bad bad guys in any (all commercial FPS; I've seen it in some Wolf3D mods) use any pickups the player uses, themselves?

The only game I've ever seen this properly used is Streets of Rage.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I have yet to see a bottle of water negate the impact of an exploding rocket. Show me a bottle of water that can stave off an explosion powerful enough to rip a human to shreds, then we can have a conversation about how much sense it makes. ;-)

Well it's true that a bottle of water generally doesn't stop a rocket but then again... Doom itself doesn't really make sense so it might make sense in that context?

Like the Cybie fires his rockets and you see his arm glow but actually the way the rocket flies, it's being fired from the Cybie's crotch and not his arm. The Revenant fires both shoulder cannons but only one fire ball comes out for whatever reason. The zombies are well... possessed humans and zombies yet they can walk on lava and not burn to death. In fact, all demons can walk on lava indefinitely. Yet they still get hurt by imp fire. In fact, what kind of hazmat suit protects you from poison/radiation, demon blood (???) and lava yet can't protect you from fire balls. Speaking of demon blood why the hell does blood hurt in some places? What is in that blood. Then you have rockets and a BFG that can kill spider demons and cybies but can't break through wooden fences. The Chainsaw never breaks, dulls or runs out of fuel. It can also cut through metal (Spider Mastermind) yet can't cut through wood. The bullets put holes in the walls and blood splats on it but the ground and the ceiling is made of some super strong shit that doesn't even get scratched by the stuff. In fact, you can't even burn the grass with Plasma.

In light of all this weirdness, I don't think holy water blocking a rocket to the face is too out there. I think the better question is, if it's holy water, why does it look like a green monster face with red eyes in a floating sphere? At least everything in doom looks like how it's supposed to... for the most part.

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

The only game I've ever seen this properly used is Streets of Rage.

It was there in limited forms in the original Final Fight - Sodom (the Stage 2 boss) would bum-rush you when you knocked him down (which would liberate one of his swords) and, assuming he knocked you down, quickly grab the sword back off the ground.

What's actually more interesting to me is I played a beat-em-up where only certain characters could pick up certain items. This is gonna be pretty off-topic, so if you don't care, feel free to skip this post.

Long story short, there's a family, and the wife was a prodigy who invented an antimatter fusion reactor as a teenager. A crime lord plans to use her to build a doomsday device, and she gets kidnapped. Your team of three was a choice between the husband, who's a guy in his 30s and a former professional wrestler (the muscle); the wife's teenaged assistant (balanced); and the husband/wife's slightly younger teenaged daughter (your speedster... who ironically is also the slowest to pick up items). But the muscle can't pick up rifles or machine guns because they are too small for his hands, and likewise, the teenagers can't pick up the bazooka (too heavy) or beer (the game even admonishes you: "Adult Only!"). So no matter who you picked, there would be some items your character simply could never pick up.

The game was little heard-of - it's so old it was actually a launch title for the PS1 in Japan (December 3rd, 1994 per the internet), so the way I heard of it was through an old issue of Diehard Gamefan (which had exhaustive coverage on import stuff), and it was damn interesting to me. It never came out anywhere else, but years later, it did get a fan translation on PS1 (though there wasn't much to translate besides the character bios at the start, the menus, and the ending), and also an official port to the Sega Saturn in July of 1995 (also only in Japan).

It's also the only beat-em-up I'm aware of where you can actually raise your characters' health over the normal full bar by picking up healing items, avoiding that annoying "don't heal when I'm nearly full" problem entirely - but ironically, only in the Playstation version; the Saturn version removed this, which is a shame as the Saturn version actually improved the animation and so on compared to the original.

Kind of a shame, as it's actually pretty goofy. Have you ever played a beat-em-up where one of the stages is literally inside of a whale? You will if you play this game.

The strangest part of this all though? It was made by Technosoft - the guys behind Thunder Force!

EDIT: Ironically, while re-watching videos of Nekketsu Oyako, I realized I completely forgot that the Colonels could pick up ANY weapons they found on the ground, whether dropped from them or otherwise! So that actually makes two games I know of where that's a mechanic.

Edited by Dark Pulse

I once analyzed a probe of holy water from a nearby church in my job training lab. It contained E. coli, so i wouldn't be too sure about spraying it onto your body to make you invincible. And i'm ignoring the fact that the probe had fingernails swimming around in it.

8 minutes ago, SchwTrdLeenW said:

I once analyzed a probe of holy water from a nearby church in my job training lab. It contained E. coli, so i wouldn't be too sure about spraying it onto your body to make you invincible. And i'm ignoring the fact that the probe had fingernails swimming around in it.

If your faith in God is pure enough, his power will protect you from the organisms you didn't even know he created until some guy made a device that could see them.

• It has a demonic face inside
  • It has red menacing eyes
  • It's green
  • It looks pissed

If the invulnerability power up is filled with holly water, then it must be holly according to the satanic church, either that or its an angel, wich means demons and angels are equally ugly.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:05 PM, Vermil said:

Demons can eat the invisibility spheres

25 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

i didn't say that..

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FTFY

FTFY

Acronym for "fixed that for you."

Often used sarcastically - not to fix an honest mistake, but to sarcastically disagree with someone.

Person A:
"One Direction is awesome."
Person B:
"One Direction is terrible. <-- FTFY."