Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

9 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Please, please, Nerf the Hell Knights. They're the primary reason why I keep having low health throughout maps.

Try using the SSG on them (holding the fire button)!
Also see if these tips can help you:

The Super Shotgun is the best weapon against Hell Knights. The animation for the "ground pound" was made to be perfectly synced with it. Just give two blasts holding the fire button and he will never finish his sequence. Alternatively, you can just move far away to not get damaged or use other enemies as shields. You don't need to hide so much. Other weapons like the Chaingun or the Plasma may kill him before he finishes his sequence as well.

Edited by Noiser

3 hours ago, Khorus said:

Looking forward to giving this a go, thanks for picking my wad to be part of your mod!

I'm the one who need to thanks! s2
Your mapset is my favorite to play with D4V! There's a reason why I use so many footage of them on video\screenshots!

And they are so beautifully crafted that I couldn't believe they are speedmaps.

Edited by Noiser

Hello, dear community!
Noiser, I want to mentally shake your hand!
Who would have thought how happy the players of that time would have been if after the events of Doom original and Doom 64 they would have received such a wonderful continuation of the game, which would later be re-released in 2016 and continued this Fall :)
Study for Dehacked monsters is beyond praise - I would never thought that the knight of hell can fully replicate the behavior of a congener of Doom (2016) under DOS-style.
It is interesting to play, it is simply impossible to get bored!
The only thing that is a little confused - and although the player's hands are taken from the Doom Slayer character, but weapons is not quite like the graphics from Doom 4: Death Foretold (v 2.1).
I suppose it's up to the author, but it would be great if you could try moving the weapon sprites from there right here :)
I want to help your project a little and offer this thing at the moment:
since the release of Doom Slayer''s mugshot some time passed before I fully modified it now.
With your permission, if you are free to choose this for a small revision to your project, it will be good :)
I also have "live" sprites for the environment: for example, burning candles, which can be seen on the floor in Doom II map 26 (bloodfalls).
I wish you success, achievement of creative peaks and do not change your principle-to make cool and incredible things available on any platform (as we have already seen perfectly fully) :)

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

A lot of us would rather see the Baron just nerfed plz. But its your project, do what you want with it. I would have hoped one mod would be able to give a descent vanilla experience with all the right elements, as each of the current Doom 2016 mods always get something off; whether it be missing Praetor suit sprites or horrible rips from Doom 2016 itself (D4D, Argent, Zion, and Lazarus), incorrect enemy sprites (D4D), or changing the flow of gameplay too much from vanilla (D4T and Embers of Armageddon). Sigh, guess I'll have to give up on that dream on just one getting it right.

Edited by warman2012

1 hour ago, warman2012 said:

A lot of us would rather see the Baron just nerfed plz. 

I'm talking about Hell Knights.
Also, I got it already. You can stop it now. =P

Edited by Noiser

5 hours ago, xtor981 said:

I want to help your project a little and offer this thing at the moment:
since the release of Doom Slayer''s mugshot some time passed before I fully modified it now.
With your permission, if you are free to choose this for a small revision to your project, it will be good :)

This is great! I will try to add the upgraded ones for the next update, thanks for showing me! I would like to see these sprites as well, however I don't have more frames for animations right now. 

About the weapons: I prefer the "crispy" look from the Neccronixis version, so I used that but mixed with some details from the D4T version (the Franco Tieppo's one). However, I can try making an optional add-on with the full Tieppo version if you want!

Edited by Noiser

Added a new section with some gameplay tips, including the one about ground pounds. I'm not against rebalance things or change them, but hey... these tips may help some people out. Even so, keep giving your feedback, it's always important so I could make it right. 

image.png.e74b944d37f834fc58da72971af3862f.png

Spoiler
  • Hell Knights with Ground pound:
    The Super Shotgun is the best weapon against Hell Knights. The animation for the "ground pound" was made to be perfectly synced with it. Just give two blasts holding the fire button and he will never finish his sequence. Alternatively, you can just move far away to not get damaged or use other enemies as shields. Other weapons like the Chaingun or the Plasma may kill him before he finishes his sequence as well.
  • Hell Nobles - Charge Attack:
    Hell Knights and Barons can charge agressively, but despite being strong against stunning, they will stop the leap if you shot at them. The Chaingun is a good weapon to do that.
  • Summoners:
    Summoners are very fast, but also have a higher Pain Chance, meaning they can be easily stunned. The best weapon to deal with them is also the Chaingun - much more effective than the SSG or even the Rocket Launcher. Also, they emit a sound when Insta-Moving or preparing their projectiles. Keep a track on that.
  • Punch mechanics:
    You will throw two punches when using the fist: The first one is normal, but the second is 3 times stronger. Use that to your advantage - Your fists are stronger enough to kill lesser enemies like Imps or Possessed.
  • Explosive Shots (Barons and Cyber-Mancubus):
    Barons of Hell and Cyber-Mancubus have explosive shots that deals splash damage. It will first drop on the floor, turning into a green flame and then blowing-out after some seconds. When you see the flames or hear that characteristic Arch-Vile fire sound, move away faster! The good thing is: This attack is short-ranged and it's the only projectile they can shot, meaning you have full advantage if you always keep distance.
Edited by Noiser

GZDoom seems to complain about some lines in DECORATE still:

Script error, "d4v.wad:DECORATE"line 631:
Replaced type 'Motherdemon' not found for DH_Cyberdemon
Script error, "d4v.wad:DECORATE"line 704:
Replaced type 'NightmareImp' not found for DH_DoomImp
Script error, "d4v.wad:DECORATE"line 737:
Replaced type 'D64D2Cyberdemon' not found for DH_Cyberdemon2

*EDIT*
Nevermind, I guess these actors are meant for D64 for Doom II. If you are running the game without that, of course it won't find the actors and spit out these warnings.

You can avoid the warnings by using ZMAPINFO to reassign the map editor numbers instead of using "replaces" semantics.

Absolutely cant wait to gove this a whirl! Everything so far looks incredible. When time allows ill be doing a UD and Doom 2 playthrough with this mod for sure, dude seriously congratulations and I hope this mod becomes really successful.

And of course thankyou for using Baculus to showcase this, so cool!

8 hours ago, Noiser said:

They're way too fast for that. I use the Chaingun instead, but 75% of the time when there's three or more, I'm shit out of luck!

2 hours ago, Gez said:

You can avoid the warnings by using ZMAPINFO to reassign the map editor numbers instead of using "replaces" semantics.

Do you mean something like this?

DoomEdNums
{
	7 = SpiderMastermind, Motherdemon
	16 = Cyberdemon, D64D2Cyberdemon
	3001 = DoomImp, NightmareImp	
}

I've never played, or much seen, DOOM 2016, so I can't comment on how things are *supposed* to be, but I am enjoying the experience!

It's typical in the DOOM modding community to lean on greater levels of difficulty than vanilla and it's definitely not uncommon to be fighting Knights / Barons in very, very tight spaces (shotgun dodging is intense, but not too difficult) -- in D4V the Barons absolutely wreck you! Even one alone is pretty much a boss-fight in its own right. The Knights are not so bad, tougher than vanilla, for sure, but just about manageable. Other monsters seem fine, I really like the design of the Cacos.

Weapons: Chain gun is super nice, great sound, I like the little wind-up delay my only complaint is that it seems too weak for the burn speed. It should absolutely chew through Revenants and I've emptied the entire bullet stock just trying to stop two or three enemies. Ammo doesn't last long-term through a megaWAD. 15 maps in and you've practically put yourself back to pistol start.

Utterly amazing that this is vanilla/dehacked, thank you so much for the experience!

Edited by Kroc : typo

This is how a Baron behaves in Doom 2016 for those interested who need a refresher or have not seen Doom 2016. Baron encounter starts at the 2 minute mark.

I play on Eternity Engine without freelook, crosshair, jump, crouch etc. I enabled recoil effect and it gives incredible feeling for D4V!!! Sometimes it's tricky to aim with not centered weapons, but it's interesting and fun to find screen's center for aiming. Some WADs not work properly if i use -nodeh command, but have no problems without it.

I don't think the Baron is that frustrating to fight. He's incredibly powerful but from what I noticed has very short range. He can close the distance gap fast, but you can also open it just as fast.

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

Do you mean something like this?

DoomEdNums
{
	7 = SpiderMastermind, Motherdemon
	16 = Cyberdemon, D64D2Cyberdemon
	3001 = DoomImp, NightmareImp	
}

No, just one actor class per number. However, you can have several numbers per actor class:

DoomEdNums
{
	7 = Cyberdemon
	16 = Cyberdemon
	3001 = Cyberdemon
}

I noticed that TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment have both the map07 bug, also TNT haved unmodified skyboxes.

A comprehensive list of all my problems with this mod:

WARNING: It's a rant.

Spoiler
  • The Hell Knight is the worst enemy. Why? It moves too fucking fast for me to land my shots! It's the primary reason why I usually leave maps with at most 40% health, the secondary being the lack of health items.
  • The BFG is basically a fucking joke. Why? It takes longer to switch to and from than the other weapons, and all the monsters move too fast to get hit by the tracers!
  • The Baron, as stated before, is too tough. Not as tough as the Hell Knight!
  • Considering the Cyber-Manc uses the same attack as the Baron, I think it should be Nerfed as well.
  • Considering how unbalanced the Hell Knight is, the standard Medikits and Stimpacks don't give enough health!

And here's the kicker: I had all these problems on ITYTD. Yes, that's right, it's not my fault I have to save-scum, it's the mod's. So please, take note of this and slow down the Hell Knight.

EDIT: Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh. I still think the Hell Knight should be a little slower and the health items should give more though.

Edited by Sgt Nate V

Hey Noiser, your mod is awesome!

I have a few questions about the map07fix thing, first off, I'm a mod nooblet and don't know if I even have to use it or not:
is it something to do with mods conflicting with yours if they're using a certain line of code?
Do I have to worry about using this fix with a normal doom2 wad?
If so, can I use the fix with gzdoom, and can it be loaded through the autoload section in the ini?

Is there any chance you would rip the centred weapons from Doom '16 later down the road? I'm actually surprised that no one (at least afaik)
has tackled this yet when it's a staple thing in Doom 1 & 2, here's hoping!

2 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

A comprehensive list of all my problems with this mod:

WARNING: It's a rant

1. The explosive projectiles can't be nerfed.

2. Man, I playtest this on DOSBox without mouse and never had such a problem with Hell Knights. You can always stop the charge attack if you shot him. He is tougher, but not by much: 

- He can't shot projectiles
- The charge attack only deals 2 points of damage
- He only have 400 health points (compared to 500 from the original)

Also I could not change the speed of charge even if I want to.
Keep in mind this is a dehacked mod.

Edited by Noiser

I mean, at least it should be possible to raise the health items and make the BFG switch faster, right?

EDIT: Actually, I've come to the conclusion that this isn't a shitty mod, Khorus' Speedy Shit is a shitty WAD!

Edited by Sgt Nate V

Overall balance, weapons and enemies are cool for me. Infighting between Barons makes some maps too easy (Doom's e4m1 for example). I play on UV (Nightmare in D4V) and i think it's not too hard. Ultimate Doom works as it should, but Invisibility Sphere and Goggles does not appear in game (who needs them anyway?).

I feel like you can adapt to the various changes for enemies and develop new strategies. But you do need mouselook to really enjoy this. Quick video of messing around on KSSHT.wad with D4V on first two levels.

Edited by tekni5