Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

Part 06. @NoiserI compared the original BFG and D4V BFG in the video, so that explained why I asked you the things about the tracers. I really hope it works like the original, but of course, that's only my opinion.

Yes... the BFG 9000 have all the tracers like the original. 

I think the reason why you was not able to kill these sargeants is because the ball is faster, so it exploded earlier as you said on the video. I honestly prefer that way, to make it slighly different from vanilla - but yeah, they are all there. Thanks for the video!

EDIT: The HAR have perfect accuracy btw - you just have to tap it like the vanilla one.

Edited by Noiser

1 hour ago, Hard2Poop said:

I want full 1920x1080, instead of the 4:3 that Crispy Doom has.

Crispy Doom also has 16:10 which is pretty close to what you want (see Crispness menu).

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

Some spicy intercept overflow action I see.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

No clue. I loaded it in Chocolate Doom and that's what happened. I wouldn't worry about it too much, when you are at the bleeding edge of vanilla modding sometimes shit happens.

You are welcome to try So Doom :)

Got some errors/warning with GZoom.....are they expected? (I load  D4V.WAD only)

gzdoom-2019-10-13-11-30-59-829.jpg

Secondary Fire mode is off limits, right?

Some useless stuff about 2.0:

image.png.c25bae04f5d35d348917a1f3b46c012f.png
Baron of Hell - New jumping sprite
(looks better animated)

image.png.062653b6c7777eb9233adadd51cf281b.png
The frontal sprites from Hell Razer beams are bigger.
(to look more like an interconnected line)

image.png.e048031dd1dc0ba3ceea6e603e48d532.png
New BFG animation frames

image.png.5b70d3c5068be5261399fe48fdbd070a.png
Extra blood and guts

Please, let me know what you think about the weapons.
I'm trying to keep them as balanced as I can, but also different enough from the regular ones

5 hours ago, lowenz said:

Got some errors/warning with GZoom.....are they expected? (I load  D4V.WAD only)

Secondary Fire mode is off limits, right?

Nothing to worry here!
Yes, secondary mode is not possible on vanilla.

Edited by Noiser

I'm not entirely sure what is causing the intercept overflow but the Cyberdemon seems to be especially susceptible to it. My thought is that maybe the extreme amount of blood sprites being drawn is causing the overflow (although I am not immediately sure why blood splats would cause it and not bullet puffs). To test this I tried editing the DEH to make the Cyberdemon puff instead of bleed and I can't seem to make the intercept overflow happen anymore. Shooting through the wall of Barons in the Map08 room still makes it happen consistently which would also support the "shitload of blood splats" hypothesis. Fake edit: changing the Baron to use puffs too makes it seem to not have an intercept overflow in the Map08 room, at least not consistently.

OK, wait, looking at the blood splat, it doesn't have the "Can't be hit" flag set. Please set that!!!

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

Nothing to worry here!

Yes, secondary mode is not possible on vanilla.

Thanks man, your work is simply BEAUTIFUL ! Really a lovely crafted masterpiece considering it can run on DOS!

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

I'm not entirely sure what is causing the intercept overflow but the Cyberdemon seems to be especially susceptible to it. My thought is that maybe the extreme amount of blood sprites being drawn is causing the overflow (although I am not immediately sure why blood splats would cause it and not bullet puffs). To test this I tried editing the DEH to make the Cyberdemon puff instead of bleed and I can't seem to make the intercept overflow happen anymore. Shooting through the wall of Barons in the Map08 room still makes it happen consistently which would also support the "shitload of blood splats" hypothesis.

Fake edit: changing the Baron to use puffs too makes it seem to not have an intercept overflow in the Map08 room, at least not consistently.

OK, wait, looking at the blood splat, it doesn't have the "Can't be hit" flag set. Please set that!!!

Amazing!! Thanks so much man.

It makes sense. Cybies have 4200 hp, the Mastermind have 4675, Barons have 1396 hp. So If I remove blood from these (Cybies, Barons and the Mastermind) it will play safer? Or I just have to set the "Can't be hit" flag? What exactly this flag do in this context?

I will not miss If I have to remove blood from these monsters. Barons doesn't have a corpse already - also that will make them look more powerful. I kinda like the idea!

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

Nice! Thanks

Have you already updated the download? Please remember to replace both the separate DEH file and the DEH lump inside the WAD :)

14 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

I dunno what that is, homie. Should I look into it? I'm still pretty new. I feel like no one sourceport has everything I want.

I want diminishing lighting. I noticed some of the original maps look like crap without the original Doom lighting - the most vivid example is Sigil's Episode 5 map 8 (I know this isn't technically an original map but that is where I noticed the flaw the most). Doom Retro and Crispy Doom accomplish this look the best in the sourceports I've tried so far.

I want vertical recoil, and only one I've found with it so far is Crispy.

I want full 1920x1080, instead of the 4:3 that Crispy Doom has. I know Doom Retro *almost* accomplishes full 1920x1080 with the same retro look by clever screen resizing, but Doom Retro lacks the vertical recoil.

I want the projected crosshair, or as I like to think of it, the laser sight. Crispy Doom is the only one so far that has the projected crosshair that also locks on to enemies to show you where the auto-aim is pointing.

You would THINK that full 1920x1080 resolution would be more important than adding a little screen-shake when you shoot your gun...

but after experiencing the vertical recoil in Crispy Doom, I literally cannot go back to anything else. I mean I will go back to GZDoom once I go back to running Brutal Doom+XVME, but only because I have to use GZDoom for that. I can use Zandronum too but the Brutal Doom flashlight does not work on Zandronum, and the flashlight is a must for me now when I play Brutal Doom. I can't see shit without it in dark areas like the dark sectors in E1M2. You would think this problem would be even WORSE in Crispy Doom but I think the laser sight + auto-aim make this a non-issue.

about Marine Best Friend is an MS-DOS Source port ,you would either need a real dos machine or dosbox . If you want a windows sourceport just keep using crispy doom. 

You can use the 16:10 aspect ratio (actually the real aspect ratio of the game) but it will force an almost fullscreen mode , you can force a 1920x1080 by editing the crispy doom cfg , but the end result is an uneven streched image . I would'n go for a 1920x1080 resolution to play classic doom  , in fact i use a 320x200 on dosbox (original resolution + hardware scaler x5) and 1600x1000 with integer scaling set to 1 for both chocolate doom and crispy doom 

Here is how it looks with my config

1803027016_Baculusllaveroja.png.10b0061e35967f7d21b396338569fa61.png

I really dont like gzdoom , i just have it for testing purposes , not for gameplay , i also don't like brutal doom . 

Crispy doom seems to be the source port that matches your preferences while keeping the OG doom experience

1 hour ago, Zodomaniac said:

Have you already updated the download? Please remember to replace both the separate DEH file and the DEH lump inside the WAD :)

No, I was waiting for more bugs\feedback to release a proper 2.1 version and all that stuff... but you know what, I will just upload it now.
Wait for my signal! =P

1 hour ago, Zodomaniac said:

you can manually fix that , just drop the d4v.deh into d4v.wad (using slade) and rename the file to dehacked ,save and you are done =) 

DONE!
You can download it again.

Just to be sure... this is the flag right?
It was the closest I found.

image.png.1b07f0502560c9c17cf992ed807960ed.png

EDIT: I tested on Map 32 and it seems to work fine

Edited by Noiser

2 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

ammo sometimes goes into negative numbers when using the new weapons.

Oh yeah, that's expected. It will not cause any bug afaik.
I even moved the minus offset to avoid crashes

Edited by Noiser

Guys, guys... that's what happens when you try to fix things as quick as possible lol
Activating that flag was not a good move after all:

image.png.464527d901631b588f670b0d4bbc80e5.png

So... I decided to uncheck it again and also remove blood spots from the bosses. I know, I know, everyone loves blood and all... but it's not as noticeable as you imagine and it will avoid other sprite overflows so it's actually a very good thing. 

I re-uploaded the file again. Sorry for that and please... I would ask you to download again to fix the floating bloodspots.
I will formalize all these changes with a 2.1 version, after a bit more of testing.

Edited by Noiser

Guys, please let me know if you find anything else. I will keep testing it for a while.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:52 PM, Noiser said:

EDIT: The HAR have perfect accuracy btw - you just have to tap it like the vanilla one.

That means only the first one is ignoring the accuracy check. It's a relatively weird position to have substitute weapons like this, so what I said was these 2 should have their own advantages. Right now, it seems HAR doesn't really have any advantage against Chaingun, so yeah.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

That means only the first one is ignoring the accuracy check. It's a relatively weird position to have substitute weapons like this, so what I said was these 2 should have their own advantages. Right now, it seems HAR doesn't really have any advantage against Chaingun, so yeah.

I don't get it. The HAR can fire with perfect accuracy, you can't do that efficiently with the Chaingun.
Right now there's nothing much I can do about it (due to technical reasons) but I will try to make the tap faster.

Edited by Noiser

7 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I don't get it. The HAR can fire with perfect acurracy, you can't do that efficiently with the Chaingun.
Right now there's nothing much I can do about it (due to technical reasons) but I will try to make the tap faster.

Oh, I thought you can reduce spread in dehack... but it seems you couldn't... Probably including me, and the post above is asking to have a perfect accuracy when holding down the fire. I know you're talking about the tapping like the original Chaingun. I'll try to check the tapping out in the next video.

Try it! 8D
Dehacked can make what you're asking for, but not in this case in particular. 

Edited by Noiser

3 hours ago, Noiser said:

Guys, please let me know if you find anything else. I will keep testing it for a while.

the only problem i've found so far , is with the new weapons , if i load vortex.deh after shooting i end up with no weapons (and i cant select any other , not even fists)

The only way to make new weapons work on mbf2.04 (boom 2.02 also) is by exporting and deleting the dehacked file inside d4v.wad and then loading d4v.wad -deh 0_d4v,deh + all other deh files (or *.deh if i want to load all of them) , if not all weapons will start firing (and they will remain firing forever) or wont fire at all (pistol) =( . 

new weapons work flawlessly using doom2.exe 

On MBF you may get lucky using "VORTEX_DoomRetro.deh" instead of "1_VORTEX.deh".
I didn't tested it but that adaptation was made using the MBF-format.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:00 AM, DderNabroc said:

This is great! question: Do you HAVE to choose your loadouts? or do the weapons spawn in the maps

Sorry, I missed your question. Yes, weapon pickups will change together with your setup.

If you must keep the blood splats in the blockmap, at least reduce their width to 0. That seems to probably mitigate the intercept overflow risk at least.

I noticed a difference in Gauss Cannon's ammo consumption between inbuilt version for GZdoom (40 ammo consumed per shot) and the separate file version (21 ammo consumed per shot).