Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

6 hours ago, Noiser said:

On MBF you may get lucky using "VORTEX_DoomRetro.deh" instead of "1_VORTEX.deh".
I didn't tested it but that adaptation was made using the MBF-format.

sadly it didn't fully work , i can shoot (only 1 bullet is taken) but then all weapons became the "2 barrel shotgun" , if i start swaping weapons eventually they will start working again , so i guess that for some reason vortex is not working on mbf or boom =S 

Something strange has happened to me while using this on Doom Retro.  The mod loaded and played fine lots of times.  With the weapons being angled I decided to switch on the crosshair in DR.  I then loaded up the mod and engine and it worked until I fired a weapon.  The game freezes and then CTD's.  Thinking it was a weird conflict I switched the crosshair off again.  Sadly, the game still crashes in the same way.  I removed my DR config file and generated a new one.  Same thing. :(

I presume it's more a DR thing than a D4V thing but thought I'd post here just in case.

I really like the weapon balance for the HAR/chaingun. The HAR is similar to the vanilla chaingun in that there is no cooldown. The minigun fires like twice as fast, but there is a significant cooldown after each burst, which forces you to hold down the trigger as you turn and aim at the next target, which, combined with the extremely high rate-of-fire, will make you run out of bullets much sooner. Which weapon is better depends on the situation. When I'm playing Doom episode 1 I use the HAR but when I play episodes 2 and 3 the chaingun variant is better. You pretty much need the chaingun to get the red key on E2M6 on nightmare - the lightning gun is also incredibly strong here, dare I say OP!

You should make the sprite for the lightning gun white! That would look SICK! I already think the plasma gun is the best looking gun in the game.

How does the gauss cannon work? Does it fire tracers? I noticed I can't seem to hit shit with it if I am strafing and turning and firing. It appears the BFG can still do more single target damage if you get close enough that 100% of the tracers/projectile hit the target, but the big boss enemies all have the flame attack that will kill you if you try to get in their face, especially with fast monsters, so the gauss cannon appears to need less ammo to kill single enemies/bosses.

The gauss cannon appears to fire an invisible BFG ball. The lighting gun is neat since it fires a bullet and an invisible plasma shot at the same time, with the plasma shot's death being the electric spark effect, so it more or less looks like the gun is firing hitscan electricity.

11 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

How does the gauss cannon work? Does it fire tracers? 

Nope, there are no tracers, just a powerful hit with splash-damage. If I have used tracers it would be just another BFG, so I avoided that.

The idea was a focused damage weapon, trying to emulate some sort of railgun but with radius damage. It ended being more effective for mid-range though (I will improve it a bit for the next version).

20 hours ago, Linguica said:

If you must keep the blood splats in the blockmap, at least reduce their width to 0. That seems to probably mitigate the intercept overflow risk at least.

So... I changed the width and radius to 0 and it seems to work 100%!
I made several tests... zero intercept overflows (I even put back the blood on bosses).

Quick test on Hell Revealed map32:

Spoiler

Edited by Noiser

I also noticed that the rocket sprite trails and particle effects don't work anymore on GZDoom as far as I'm aware with D4V, could it be possible to fix this?

14 hours ago, lowenz said:

So 2.1 incoming?

Very soon! But you can grab the fixes If want them already, I re-uploaded the file.

16 hours ago, Hard2Poop said:

HOLY SHIT! Have you tried this with the Bolognese gore mod?! It looks INCREDIBLE!!!!

Yes! D4V works with both Bolognese and Nash Gore, and probably any other gore mod out there.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:28 AM, Average said:

Something strange has happened to me while using this on Doom Retro.  The mod loaded and played fine lots of times.  With the weapons being angled I decided to switch on the crosshair in DR.  I then loaded up the mod and engine and it worked until I fired a weapon.

It's something related to the Vortex Rifle? I send a pm to brad already.
For now, you can try the version v3.0.2 if you have problems with the files.

Edited by Noiser

well i think that for some reason d4v + new weapons (new weapons actually) are not compatible with mbf/boom or any boom ms-dos sourceport , sadly . I've tried edge  ,eternity , MidDoom 0.03 , Vavoom 1.25 with no avail , the only ms-dos where the vortex is working is Smack My Marine Up 3.30 , but for some reason there's no General Midi support =/ . 

guess i'll have to play it on "normal" dosbox instead

image.png.1c842a041d18bd51dc7917ad359f89ad.png

DOWNLOAD v2.1 [Regular]

DOWNLOAD v2.1 [MS-DOS]

- Improved the Gauss Cannon with better accuracy and power

- Improved the HAR with faster tapping

- Fine-tuned the Hell Razer... I think he is a better enemy now

- Fixed the Gauss Cannon ammo incongruency - thanks @ReaperAA

- Fixed Vortex Rifle causing intercept overflow on vanilla - thanks @Linguica
- Fixed bloodsplats floating on lifts

- Added more blood to the imp (xdeath)

- Added Gibbing\xdeath to the Hell Knight

- Added a map07+30 fix for Moonblood

- Added a CREDITS lump to D4V.wad

- Added blood to the Spider Mastermind death sequence

- Added a single frame with demons coming from the Summoner portals

portals.png.145fd9f7e028fd7e4ed291da92780fcf.png

image.png.305e25bd3e90aa6627d4a609610f48d9.png

Edited by Noiser

Next step is D4V-lite. Let me know what you think so far, or if you find anything else.

Thanks a lot!

On 10/15/2019 at 6:10 PM, AmethystViper said:

I also noticed that the rocket sprite trails and particle effects don't work anymore on GZDoom as far as I'm aware with D4V, could it be possible to fix this?

I disabled them because they are not aligned with the sprites. I will try to put them back on the future.

Edited by Noiser

So far i love it! Everything seems very balanced as it is. Things i would like to see? uhhhh.... i dont know what else it needs, because its vanilla type gameplay, but i guess id like to see a campaign wad just for this mod. thatd be cool, like close recreations of the doom 2016 campaign.

I highly recommend Crispy Doom for playing D4V because its sprites of weapons, monsters and projectiles only look properly in case its Crispness->Force Aspect Ratio is set to 16:10.

4 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

I highly recommend Crispy Doom for playing D4V because its sprites of weapons, monsters and projectiles only look properly in case its Crispness->Force Aspect Ratio is set to 16:10.

Oh god, don't even start.

In other news, is it me or is the imp's windup time kind of slow? It's difficult to even get an imp to successfully melee attack you unless you are intentionally drawing one.

6 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

Actually, the sprites were made with 4:3 in mind. But hey, be my guest! I'm glad that you can play the way you want to.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

In other news, is it me or is the imp's windup time kind of slow? 

Yes, the Imp takes a bit longer to attack - mostly to compensate the faster movement\fireballs.

Little bug report: I can't switch to the chainsaw when out of bullets on the GZDoom version

EDIT: The Cyber-Mancubus' obituary says I got killed by a Cyberdemon, but that could just be DeHacked being fucky

Edited by Necron 99

8 hours ago, Noiser said:

Yes, the Imp takes a bit longer to attack - mostly to compensate the faster movement\fireballs.

I see there's a 22 tic windup for both close attack and fireball. I tried moving a frame from the pain to the attack and made it 2 frames of 11 length with the melee starting on the second frame, and it made imps seem more "normal" in close quarters. Just a thought!

8k0fQOL.mp4 ktTnFr7.mp4

I also noticed: I am crazy or did you add the "in pain" flag to Lost Souls?

The long windup actually makes the Imps more convenient to punch out, even without Berserk. On that note, with how powerful the new Chainsaw is, does Berserk even have a purpose if you've got the saw?

17 hours ago, Necron 99 said:

EDIT: The Cyber-Mancubus' obituary says I got killed by a Cyberdemon, but that could just be DeHacked being fucky

Please, tell me more about this. What is your language?
Anyone else is having problems with obituaries?

16 hours ago, Linguica said:

I see there's a 22 frame windup for both close attack and fireball. I tried moving a frame from the pain to the attack and made it 2 frames of 11 length with the melee starting on the second frame, and it made imps seem more "normal" in close quarters. Just a thought!

Great! I will make some tests. I just have to ensure that it will not be unfair with some traps, but I think I can make at least two different speeds.

16 hours ago, Linguica said:

I also noticed: I am crazy or did you add the "in pain" flag to Lost Souls?

in pain = JUSTHIT? Nope.

15 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

The long windup actually makes the Imps more convenient to punch out, even without Berserk. On that note, with how powerful the new Chainsaw is, does Berserk even have a purpose if you've got the saw?

Despite being fun to punch your enemies? Idk, both are very powerful.

Edited by Noiser

2.2 VERSION (Oct 19)

Sorry for releasing another one so quickly. I HAD to fix an issue I found with blinking lights ASAP

I think we are getting closer to a more stable release though

DOWNLOAD 2.2 (Regular)

DOWNLOAD 2.2 (MS-DOS)

2.1 CHANGELOG

Spoiler

- Improved the Gauss Cannon with better accuracy and power

- Improved the HAR with faster tapping

- Fine-tuned the Hell Razer... I think he is a better enemy now

- Fixed the Gauss Cannon ammo incongruency - thanks @ReaperAA

- Fixed Vortex Rifle causing intercept overflow on vanilla - thanks @Linguica
- Fixed bloodsplats floating on lifts

- Added more blood to the imp (xdeath)

- Added Gibbing\xdeath to the Hell Knight

- Added a map07+30 fix for Moonblood

- Added a CREDITS lump to D4V.wad

- Added blood to the Spider Mastermind death sequence

- Added a single frame with demons coming from the Summoner portals

image.png.f61e6100010ed18612ff290b11ddb69c.png

image.png.23ab18199add487ae5ef664e67cea7b5.png

2.2 CHANGELOG

GZDOOM
- Fixed the blinking light on the Vortex Rifle (goddamn that shouldn't happen!!)

- Fixed the Chainsaw not working without bullets - thanks @Necron 99

- Fixed the Chainsaw pickup giving you bullets

ZANDRONUM

- Fixed the Multiplayer Options not appearing - thanks @DarkShotX45

GENERAL

- Improved even more the Gauss Cannon

- Better balance for some enemies

- Cyber-Mancubus is slightly faster

(updated)

Edited by Noiser

I have a few suggestions

-You could try E2M8 and E3M8 fixes to avoid soft-locks in UD(Maybe the ones from DTWiD, FreeDoom M8s are not very good imo).

-Decoration replacements for the dead zombiemen on poles.

Edit:

Forgot to mention something:

Multiplayer Options disappear in Zandronum when using this mod.

Edited by DarkShotX45

6 hours ago, DarkShotX45 said:

Multiplayer Options disappear in Zandronum when using this mod.

Thanks for letting me know! I reuploaded the 2.2 file with that fixed.

6 hours ago, DarkShotX45 said:

-You could try E2M8 and E3M8 fixes to avoid soft-locks in UD(Maybe the ones from DTWiD, FreeDoom M8s are not very good imo).

Yes, I was thinking about that for a long time. Idk know how or when that will happen though

Edited by Noiser

I know the lightning gun is supposed to be OP but this might be a little too OP.

caXORBb.gif

Also I can use the vortex rifle as a silent melee weapon for some reason when I switch away from it.

072DyL4.mp4

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

I know the lightning gun is supposed to be OP but this might be a little too OP.

The projectile is clipping? That shouldn't happen.

LG weakness is more noticeable when you're searching for ammo. Ammo goes down very, very quickly.

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

Also I can use the vortex rifle as a silent melee weapon for some reason when I switch away from it.

Oh yea, that was intentional. As you may know, you can't switch back to the fists after getting the chainsaw (on vanilla)... and since you can get out of bullets, you will be helpless without other type of ammo.

The player can perform this quick punch attack to defend himself. That's why you do that little arm swing when you switch to another weapon... it may look like he is messing with the gun, but also may look like he is trying to punch something. 

Try it on map01 (Doom 2 or Scythe) for a better example.

Edited by Noiser

15 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

any vanilla wads built with this mod in mind? like, designed around the monster and weapon behaviors?

This mod is not old enough to get the special mappack itself.