Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

2 hours ago, Roger Busson said:

Hello there ! I'm not very familiar with mods so my question is maybe dumb : I'd like to play this one with Gzdoom but when i drag the D4V.wad on the Gzdoom application, instead of lauching the new maps, it launches Doom 2 with the Doom 4 Vanilla textures. So what am i doing wrong ?

Hello! Did you tried to select both of them? You need to take the mapset you want together with D4V. You can find SCYTHE.WAD, KSSHT.WAD and BACULUS.WAD inside the "PORTS" folder.

Edited by Noiser

20 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

What made me disappointed though, is the comment section. Apparently most people there don't have an idea what the hell is Dehacked.

Well, yeah, obviously.

And why should they care? It's not really the how that is interesting, it's the what. "This can work on the original Doom, you don't need an advanced source port" is interesting (though I'd guess most of Icarus' viewers are already using GZDoom anyway, making this point more of a "that's neat but it doesn't matter to me" thing); "this was done by meditating for ten years under a waterfall, sacrificing a goat to Belzebuth, then striking a single, perfect blow with a magnetized hammer on a dying hard drive" isn't interesting, except of course for the kind of people who read Doomworld everyday.  :p

@Noiser Fantastic mod! A true statement to the longevity and ingenuity of the modding community.

I only have a few criticisms:

Firstly, as demonstrated in this video, I find the chainsaw to be WAY to overpowered. Perhaps you could balance this out by reducing the damage or by implementing a fuel system like the one seen in D2016.

Secondly, I've found a bug that is a bit of a hindrance for Doom completionists, I'm not sure exactly what is causing it, but I believe it may be that monsters killed through infighting do not count as kills. As you can see in the screenshots I had just about cleared the map, and was almost certain I'd gotten every monster... and I think I did. However, my kill count suggested I was missing one. I tried using the "Kill Monsters" command along with "AM_MAPCHEAT 2" to try and identify where the monster I missed was. However, the command returned the message "0 Monsters Killed", which would suggest that there were no monster actors left in the map to kill, in which case a monster had been killed but not counted in the kill count.

Screenshot (159).png

Screenshot (160).png

I've been playing around with this mod a bit, and I really like it! The weapons have a nice punch to them, and the new enemy attacks really change up how you play the levels. Really impressive use of DEHACKED, and a shoo-in for the Machaward this year, if not one of the Gameplay Mod awards straight up. One minor quibble/incompatibility to report, however. While it is not, in fact, a level breaker by any means like the Arachnotron/Mancubus changes were, it is pretty silly to go through Valiant: Vaccinated Edition's 14 Angrier Archviles without the titular 14 archviles summoners coming after you throughout the level. They just end up standing there at the start; I guess their movement avoids linedefs. This was tested on prBoom+, complevel 11.

2 hours ago, Roger Busson said:

Hello there ! I'm not very familiar with mods so my question is maybe dumb : I'd like to play this one with Gzdoom but when i drag the D4V.wad on the Gzdoom application, instead of lauching the new maps, it launches Doom 2 with the Doom 4 Vanilla textures. So what am i doing wrong ?

The mod doesn't actually come with any new levels, outside of the generic MAP07 replacement. Just run it with whatever mapset you'd like; if you're using the drag-and-drop model of loading, just make sure you're dragging whatever mapset you want along with D4V.wad.

1 hour ago, MangaMan9999 said:

Firstly, as demonstrated in this video, I find the chainsaw to be WAY to overpowered. Perhaps you could balance this out by reducing the damage or by implementing a fuel system like the one seen in D2016.

Don't worry, I already did it! The new version is almost done and will feature a less OP chainsaw. Even so, you still be able to kill demons very quickly with it.

The kill count thing is very weird. I will investigate the cause.

24 minutes ago, NuclearPotato said:

it is pretty silly to go through Valiant: Vaccinated Edition's 14 Angrier Archviles without the titular 14 archviles summoners coming after you throughout the level. They just end up standing there at the start; I guess their movement avoids linedefs. This was tested on prBoom+, complevel 11.

Oh, I kinda remember this stage, it's a gimmicky one isn't it? Never played Valiant with D4V though. I will try this map to see what's happening.

Edited by Noiser

20 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

Does anyone else have performance problems? If I run the mod via the shortcuts included I get a weird hitch every five seconds or so.

Doesn't happen if I manually load the mod myself.

i did the test , i run scythe.wad on chocolate doom for about an hour on idle mode and then i enble iddqd and let monsters hit doomguy for a while , come back a few hours later finished 3 maps and didn't notice a single drop in performance , i was running doom1 on dosbox and chrome was oppened with almost 100tabs . This was done by running scythe using the .bat file provided on with the mod.

19 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Doom Mod Madness has been focusing on ZDoom mods since the very beginning, FYI. We barely see him review vanilla Doom stuff; let alone Dehacked.

Then again he is the only famous Doom mod reviewer on Youtube, so I think he gets a free pass this time.

Reveal hidden contents

Somehow, Icarus' current fanbase reminds me of Brutal Doom's fanbase - some are nice, some are flat out toxic, and some are neutral; but most are very underinformed.

EDIT: To add insult to injury...

Hide contents

Screenshot_20190907-131816_YouTube.jpg

Yes, I understand you, casual reviewer.

well then i must have confused him with another reviewer , i dont know why i was subscribed to him  anyway as i dont remember finding anything interesting for doom on gzdoom (at least not something showed by him) 

EDIT : Ahh Gmanlives...well he is the one that said that SIGIL was "meh" because it was too dark on gzdoom , you were not able to jump, free look etc....and it was an unfair wad that didn't have any DOOM2 sprites......ULTRA LOL , so there is no surprise in his reaction to this mod. Special mention to brouzouf jones , or he had the biggest crt monitor ever made or his fridge is super small and ligth xD a crt that weights as much as a fridge WTF , also the turbo button didn't work like a turbo either , hahah ULTRA MEGA LOL . 

6 hours ago, Roger Busson said:

Hi there , it's not dumb , adding mods can be a little bit tricky the very first time you try it , but it's actually not . 

By doing that you are only replacing original doom2 sprites with the ones included on D4V .wad , if you want to run for instance Doom64 (d64d2.wad) you will need to creat a .bat file (a normal notepad file that you will later save as .bat by manually changing the extension of the file from ".txt" to ".bat" ) . So in order to play Doom64 using gzdoom + fullscreen new hud your .bat file shoul look like this 

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file d64d2.wad fd64d2.wad d4v.wad fullscrn_huds.pk3 -nodeh -deh d4v.deh 

its recommended to have all your wad files on the same folder were you have gzdoom installed , if you want to keep your wads separed into "Doom1 wads" and "doom2 wads" you can create a new folder drag there all your doom2 wads and the adding the name of that folder after the -file 

Assuming that you have a folder named Doom2wads your command line should look like this

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Doom2wads\d64d2.wad fd64d2.wad d4v.wad fullscrn_huds.pk3 -nodeh -deh d4v.deh 

Hope it helps

Edited by Pablo_Doom_Guy : Adding a response to TheNoob_Gamer about GManlives review on D4V

58 minutes ago, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

i did the test , i run scythe.wad for about an hour on idle mod and then i enble iddqd and let monsters hit doomguy for a while , come back a few hours later finished 3 maps and didn't notice a single drop in performance , i was running doom1 on dosbox and chrome was oppened with almost 100tabs . This was done by running scythe using the .bat file provided on with the mod.

Thanks for looking, the performance hit is straight away but not with DOSBox, only with the Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom shortcuts.

Might be some quirk of Ryzen CPUs, I couldn't see anything strange in the settings files, but I'm no expert.

3 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

Thanks for looking, the performance hit is straight away but not with DOSBox, only with the Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom shortcuts.

Might be some quirk of Ryzen CPUs, I couldn't see anything strange in the settings files, but I'm no expert.

well i forgot to mention that my test were done using chocolate doom with the bat file provided with the D4V.wad . While doing this test i was running doom on dosbox , and chrome . Maybe you should check your task manager to see if there is something stressing your CPU ,RAM or HDD . With a ryzen cpu you shouldn't have any performance issues

Edited by Pablo_Doom_Guy

Just wanted to add that I also experience the leftover monster problem where a "kill monsters" returns "0 monsters killed" but the intermission screen reports less than 100% kills.

I get this quite often in GZDoom, though, so it's not necessarily related to this very mod.

Hey i found something weird , i guess that by now everyone knows that if you run DOOM1 with D4V on any sourceport the game will soft-lock after a boss fight (e2m8,e3m8,e4m8 ) e1m8 does not soft lock since you die at the end of the level and triggers the ending episode text . Well the weird thing is that if you lauch the game via dosbox using the default doom.exe this soft lock doesn't happen =S , after defeating the boss the level ends and you get the correct ending for each episode O_O 

EDIT: After a few more testings , i found that there is something on the DeHackEd file that its preventing e2m8 , e3m8 and e4m8 from properly finishing after killing the boss . If i load the D4V without the .deh file the level ends like always (tested on doom.exe and with boom sourceport and on Marine best friend after deleting the .deh file since this sourceport automatically loads dehacked files) if i load the .deh file the game soft-lock and you get stuck forever. 

EDIT2: I seems to be something that's affecting the death animation of each boss, beating them without loading the .deh file will make the level to end as it is supposed to (screen fade and final mission text , e3m8 spider mastermind stands up again and then the level finishes).  

Edited by Pablo_Doom_Guy

I challenge anyone with extremely old hardware (i.e. 486) to play this mod. Show us on youtube or it didn't happen!

Note: I don't have old hardware so I cannot do this! :D

4 hours ago, warman2012 said:

I challenge anyone with extremely old hardware (i.e. 486) to play this mod. Show us on youtube or it didn't happen!

Note: I don't have old hardware so I cannot do this! :D

it should play as doom.exe/doom2.exe without any mods , this is a video of doom running on a 486 (the video is not mine) 

i asked this guy if he can test d4v on his pc so we can see how it performs

This mod is really cool! It's really nice to see something with such comprehensive DeHacked work done to make something like this.

Since it's fully vanilla compatible, I decided to try it out on my old Windows 98 machine and see how it holds up in a real DOS setting. Here's some gameplay of D4V and Scythe, which goes okay until I die badly. It's no 486, but it's still something regardless!

1 hour ago, Bashe said:

This mod is really cool! It's really nice to see something with such comprehensive DeHacked work done to make something like this.

Since it's fully vanilla compatible, I decided to try it out on my old Windows 98 machine and see how it holds up in a real DOS setting. Here's some gameplay of D4V and Scythe, which goes okay until I die badly. It's no 486, but it's still something regardless!

Oh my, this is amazing! Thanks a lot for the footage!

@Bashe I saw in ur video that u skipped to map 8 (u didn't complete map 7). U were not stuck and u just needed to press a switch to continue that level.

It seems that the Chaingun sprite is not fully adjusted to the correct aspect ratio and looks oval (vertically stretched) instead of round:

image (2).png

23 hours ago, Noiser said:

Hello! Did you tried to select both of them? You need to take the mapset you want together with D4V. You can find SCYTHE.WAD, KSSHT.WAD and BACULUS.WAD inside the "PORTS" folder.

Thank you, i finally managed to launch the mapsets with this method ! But in GZdoom, i can't jump when playing the Baculus mapset while it is possible to do so in the Crispy version (However, my jump key is configured). Is there a way to fix it ?

Edited by Roger Busson

24 minutes ago, Roger Busson said:

Thank you, i finally manage to launch the mapsets with this method ! But in GZdoom, i can't jump when playing the Baculus mapset while it is possible to do so in the Crispy version (However, my jump key is configured). Is there a way to fix it ?

That's because there's a MAPINFO lump that's written to disable jumping in ZDoom and its forks because I don't think you're supposed to jump in that WAD.

4 hours ago, Roger Busson said:

Thank you, i finally managed to launch the mapsets with this method ! But in GZdoom, i can't jump when playing the Baculus mapset while it is possible to do so in the Crispy version (However, my jump key is configured). Is there a way to fix it ?

Like what Sgt Nate V said above. If you really wanted to jump in GZDoom, go to Options -> Gameplay Options -> find the "Allow Jump" option and set it to "on". The option will force the map to enable Jumping for you. Do the same with "Allow Crunch" for a modern FPS feel ;>

I don't really recommend doing this in vanilla and Boom maps though, you can easily break the balance of those maps. (Getting on a important platform you aren't supposed to get on, for instance)

Hey @Noiser fantastic work here!

I finally downloaded D4V and I'm totally blown away by not only how gorgeous it is, but also how remarkably balanced it is.

I briefly tested D4V with No End in Sight's E4M2 and I never had any issues with ammo shortages or enemy damage output.

Love how useful the pistol is as a fallback and how dangerous barons are especially with their projectiles that act as timed mines.

It's also a gameplay mod that maintains the old school doom feeling and totally looks right at home with all the vanilla textures. It spices up the base game without changing it into something unrecognizable.

If there's any minor nitpicks I have, it's that large groups tend to self-destruct from infighting a little too easily especially baron duos.

Also I'd prefer damage flashes to be just a bit brighter, but if it's a vanilla limitation, it's not a huge deal.

And now a couple screenies...

Spoiler

doom02.png.ed5ec3a41089404e1fdc48df23f40b08.pngdoom01.png.3e86bd006039a6b226eff99d7734c125.pngdoom03.png.28f4cd6dde5bd231543f08779035a0f2.pngdoom06.png.31bf7e9eb4a8382515938aed940878ed.png

Played in PrBoom+, complevel 3, skill 4

Edited by chowbar : more screens and source port details

3 hours ago, chowbar said:

Hey @Noiser fantastic work here!

I finally downloaded D4V and I'm totally blown away by not only how gorgeous it is, but also how remarkably balanced it is.

I briefly tested D4V with No End in Sight's E4M2 and I never had any issues with ammo shortages or enemy damage output.

Love how useful the pistol is as a fallback and how dangerous barons are especially with their projectiles that act as timed mines.

It's also a gameplay mod that maintains the old school doom feeling and totally looks right at home with all the vanilla textures. It spices up the base game without changing it into something unrecognizable.

If there's any minor nitpicks I have, it's that large groups tend to self-destruct from infighting a little too easily especially baron duos.

Also I'd prefer damage flashes to be just a bit brighter, but if it's a vanilla limitation, it's not a huge deal.

And now a couple screenies...

Reveal hidden contents

doom02.png.ed5ec3a41089404e1fdc48df23f40b08.pngdoom01.png.3e86bd006039a6b226eff99d7734c125.pngdoom03.png.28f4cd6dde5bd231543f08779035a0f2.pngdoom06.png.31bf7e9eb4a8382515938aed940878ed.png

Played in PrBoom+, complevel 3, skill 4

the only "problem" with D4V and ultimate doom is that after killing e2/3/4 m8 boss the level doesn't end properly =/ , there is something on the DeHackEd file that's affecting the level ending , if you delete the dehacked file from the wad (assuming the sourceport you are using automatically loads dehacked files within a wad) this problem is fixed but you get a graphical glitch on the rocket launcher =/ (but at least you can properly end each level ) , not a game breaker and considering this mod was not meant to be used with doom/ultimate doom is not a real problem , maybe this can be fixed some day

level not ending after defeating the boss (e3m8 from No End in Sight) played on BOOM sourceport for DOS using DosBox SVN-Daum with -deh d4v.deh (It happens the same with MBF2.04)

426179739_Errorjefefinaldoom1.png.44246df38b89e3fd6e524adacc19a0f2.png

without loading -deh d4v.deh you get this particular graphical glitch on the rocket launcher

1382776666_glitchenlanzacohetes.png.88e620b1fc03fc5dbe2ecde23f9ae001.png

Encountered a problem in Chocolate Doom Vita

I tend to play the "Computer Deathmatch 4" mod with D4V and noticed that the chaingun player is abusing the bfg like it was nothing.

Anything to fix this?

Should be as easy as dragging the WAD and deh files onto the GZDoom executable together (or using a 3rd party launcher to load said files). What have you been doing to load the files?

29 minutes ago, ShoHidari said:

Are there any guides to play the wad/mod on gzdoom? I can't figure out how to get it to run.

Get Started With GZDoom - Doom Tutorial

Spoiler

Had a lot of fun playing this! I have a small gripe though- it's less of an issue and more of something of choice- having the music replaced being a "forced" part of the wad?

It wouldn't be so bad if the music was in it's own wad- that could be loaded alongside with but I had to gut all of the custom music because I didn't want to listen to it- I wanted to listen the music of the maps I was playing.

3 hours ago, ShoHidari said:

Are there any guides to play the wad/mod on gzdoom? I can't figure out how to get it to run.

it's actually something easy , no matter wich wad/mod you are trying to play on GZdoom the easiest way to load them is this 

create a new txt file (that will be later renamed to a .bat file) and type this

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2 -file d4v.wad 

save the file (Doom2 for example ) and manually replace the .txt extension for .bat , so your file should be named Doom2.bat . Doble click on your new file and boom , Doom2 + DV4 running on GZDoom 

What about if you want to play Scythe ? , well create a copy of your Doom2.bat , right click on it and select edit and add the scythe files (the wad and level 7 fix)

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2 -file scythe.wad d4v.wad fscythe.wad 

Haven't tryied running other doom2 wads so i can't tell how does level 7 works (the ones included with this mod works great)

2 hours ago, Fuzzball said:

Had a lot of fun playing this! I have a small gripe though- it's less of an issue and more of something of choice- having the music replaced being a "forced" part of the wad?

It wouldn't be so bad if the music was in it's own wad- that could be loaded alongside with but I had to gut all of the custom music because I didn't want to listen to it- I wanted to listen the music of the maps I was playing.

you can manually delete the .midi files from the D4V.wad if you want to stick to default music , i suggest using slade