Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

12 hours ago, Noiser said:

Sorry for missing your post. Yes, that's actually a good idea. It would be neat if someone help me with the map fixes. Of course, I don't expect to have a zillion of them... but maybe a list with some nice ones?

I already finished these:
- Doom 2 The Way id Did
- Nex Credo
- Interception
- Doom 64 in Doom 2 (however this one is a bit more complicated)

I'm giving priority to vanilla maps... but I also want to make ones for Moonblood, Speed of Doom and Estranged that are boom-compatible.

I seriously hate not taken that mapping skill proficiency years back.

Sorry, Noiser! I would gladly help you, but i'm not a mapper, still.

I love the old vanilla maps and they NEED this gameplay mod to enhance them and give new life to the old.

Also, I tried this mod with crispy doom and Ultimate Doom an it doesn't have any problem. But when i tried it in GZDoom, theare is no episode selection screen and, after choosing the difficulty level, GZDOOM crash telling that there are no MAP01 in the mapset.

So at the moment, this is not compatible with Ultimate Doom in gzdoom.
PrBoom+ doesn't detect it when doing the drag & drop way of starting. It just launch Doom 2. I had to move away the doom 2 wad to be able to play this mod with UDoom in PrBoom+ and its play just fine.

Also tried it with Doom Retro, and it plays just fine, also.

So only problem is GZDOOM with Ultimate Doom right now

EDIT: This happened in crispy ultimate doom, the level don't ended as it have to, it just stay that way... Endlessly.

1214994927_D4VIssue2.png.c0d90da66c7cd9296f22a1a9af5f6047.png1744201688_D4VIssue1.png.b2839a1595c5fd816f68de95454db466.png

Edited by P41R47

This is an amazing piece of work. Great graphics, looks suitably challenging in terms of gameplay, awesome enemies. And all Vanilla and Dehacked wizardry you say? Astonishing.

This really deserves a mapset that does justice to the monsters/weapons/gameplay. Easy for me to say, but I hope this happens. Awesomeness all round either way.

Guys, when I host a coop session on Doomseeker, on the second level after i pick the chainsaw, i cannot go back to it if I switch to another weapon, and it doesnt pick it up again. Any ideas how to fix this?

11.jpg

22.jpg

Congratulations on this astonishing piece of work.

Looking at the colormap and palette, I wonder if it might be worth borrowing

an idea from BTSX and using a saturated pink/red gradient like so:

COLORMAP.png.85c6029f53b4b9114ee65cf168daed75.png

Because of the stylised look of the mod it seemed to compliment it fairly well when I ran a quick test.

D4VREDS.png.18f41304d6e24b7ffc29c2f86238933e.png

So I've played a fair bit of it at this point and it's pretty good, though I think some elements need improvement. The Doom slayer head sprite kind of has this look about it where it feels like it was cropped out of another image, it's like its retained rim lighting that looks extremely out of place, in addition,it also looks very downscaled as opposed to being hand-drawn. The hell knights have this strange hit scanning attack where they slam the ground and there seems to be no way of avoiding it except for standing behind a wall, thus it feels very crappy and unfair. The barons... The barons are to much... I like the idea of what's been done with them but dealing with them in tight spaces now is borderline impossible, fights once trivial with them feel like cat and mouse boss battles built on trial and error and it's really not fun to deal with them, they need some kind of nerf. I tried playing the mod with chocolate doom and the cyber mancubus's sprite seemed to disappear when being stunned. Not sure if this carries over to other ports or not. I've noticed one of the wads bundled with the mod causes certain weapon sounds to be overwritten as well.

Otherwise though it's very enjoyable and probably my preferred mod for playing d16 in classic doom.

22 minutes ago, awesreek said:

. The hell knights have this strange hit scanning attack where they slam the ground and there seems to be no way of avoiding it except for standing behind a wall, thus it feels very crappy and unfair.

You don't need to hide yourself. The Super Shotgun is the best weapon against Hell Knights - the Ground Pound animation was made to be perfectly synced with it. Just give two blasts holding the fire button and he will never finish his sequence. Alternatively, you can just move away to not get damaged that much or use other enemies as shields. Other weapons like the Chaingun or the Plasma can kill him before he finish his sequence as well.

Edited by Noiser

4 minutes ago, Noiser said:

3 minutes ago, Noiser said:

2 minutes ago, Noiser said:
You don't need to hide yourself. The Super Shotgun is the best weapon against Hell Knights because the Ground Pound animation is 100% synced with the SSG. Just give two blasts holding the fire button and he will never finish his sequence. Alternatively, you can just move away to not get damaged or use another enemies as shields. Other weapons like the Chaingun or the Plasma can kill him before he finish his sequence as well.

The wad I was playing left me with nothing but the pistol and a shotgun, and in addition it seemed to damage me regardless of range.

Great work! Seems to fit very well into Doom universe.

Simple way to get this working in GZDoom is to drop doom2.wad and everything else below into root directory of GZDoom.

BACULUS.wad
D4V.deh
D4V.wad
FBACULUS.WAD
FKSSHT.WAD
FSCYTHE.WAD
kssht.wad
SCYTHE.WAD

Then for each of the included wad you make a custom .bat file in notepad and save it, make sure to save under "All Files" so it saves the .bat extension.

gzdoom -file BACULUS.wad D4V.wad FBACULUS.wad -nodeh -deh D4V.deh
Save file as "PLAY BACULUS.bat"

gzdoom -file KSSHT.wad D4V.wad FKSSHT.wad -nodeh -deh D4V.deh
Save file as "PLAY KSSHT.bat"

gzdoom -file SCYTHE.wad D4V.wad FSCYTHE.wad -nodeh -deh D4V.deh
Save file as "PLAY SCYTHE.bat"

Ok, so my two cents. Thanks for making this. So far I played and found a few things:

1. SSG seems to be too slow of a fire rate, even from a vanilla standpoint. Might wanna tweak the rate of fire increase it just a little.

2. Difficulty levels: This one threw me for a loop. You have HMP where Ultraviolence is. From what I am seeing, the difficulty levels are placed incorrectly, might want to look into that.

3. Why are textures altered? This should not be forced upon a player. Might want to look into options for this.

4. This one is not so bad, but might wanna look into incorporating the D-2016 chainsaw sound for the chainsaw. Just because its vanilla doesn't mean we need choppy sound.

Anyways that's my two cents. More after I play through some more. Thanks again!

image.png.71c849d60feb56232e1923b2f9c95d1a.png
D4V_v1.1_DOS.rar

The MS-DOS Edition is an easy-to-use pack made for people who have a modern pc OR for the ones with a real DOS machine!
The pack also have an already configured DOSBox with the correct render and aspect ratio.

- If you are using a modern pc... just run the "Launch DOSBOX with D4V" batch.
- if you are using a retro computer with MS-DOS... just take that folder right there (also check the txt file)

Don't forget to put your DOOM2.WAD on the right folder!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also this cute lil batch called simply "DOOM4" that will easily set the game for you:

image.png.ea4bb564e8b7d7e305b27ecfafb18847.png
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog for v1.1

• Most of the changes are for GZDoom:
    • - fixed the Chainsaw bug
    • - fixed dynamic lightings not showing when you fire a weapon
    • - added dynamic light for the berserk
    • - improved the brightmaps for hardware mode (like the Mega Doll or the wrong dots on the Revenant's face)
  • Added fixed brightmaps for the custom map made by @meapineapple
  • Added new Map07fixes 

Edited by Noiser

Ok, I just tested some of the other enemies. And I have to say. That Baron of Hell and Revenant, are just downright fucking terrible. They are SOO much worse than their vanilla counterparts its not even funny.

Revanent: Fires ungodly amounts homing projectiles that are AS FAST AS THE PLAYER!!! I only had to worry about a few sorta fast ones in vanilla.

Baron of Hell: Oh this one is the worst. He is a fucking horned kangaroo who can jumps 75% of the time and gets close and gobsmacks you with his fire attack. No time to dodge since he gets super close.

Some people are gonna just be like "get gud bro" or just be offended because they are too starstruck by this to see the obvious flaws in this. Can't be helped... But Mr. Noiser dood, I would hope you would take my words to heart and tweak these behaviors, hopefully soon.

13 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

Revanent: Fires ungodly amounts homing projectiles that are AS FAST AS THE PLAYER!!! I only had to worry about a few sorta fast ones in vanilla.

I will not change the Revenant. His damage points was nerfed from 10 to 3. Also I can avoid them using only arrow keys (no mouse). Sorry.
I will think about the Baron though.

37 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

1. SSG seems to be too slow of a fire rate, even from a vanilla standpoint. Might wanna tweak the rate of fire increase it just a little. 

It should be 1 tic faster. I will examine that.

3. Why are textures altered? This should not be forced upon a player. Might want to look into options for this.

Believe me, keep them on separate files would be a headache. I might try something else later on, but I can't promise anything.

4. This one is not so bad, but might wanna look into incorporating the D-2016 chainsaw sound for the chainsaw. Just because its vanilla doesn't mean we need choppy sound.

The downsampled one from D2016 doesn't sounded good.

Edited by Noiser

So the revenant does not have a 75 point damage homing missile? That would be awesome. I always hated that aspect about it.

1 minute ago, warman2012 said:

So the revenant does not have a 75 point damage homing missile

Absolutely not.

I kinda agree with the point on the Baron. He's a pretty fuckin tough guy to deal with, which is the point, but I feel like his attack frequency or damage should be nerfed just a touch

One question about the Barons: Are you guys playing on Ultimate Doom? Because Barons are a lot rarer on Doom 2 maps.
This mod was balanced and tested on Doom 2 only

(and It's CERTAINLY not made for maps like E4M2 for example)
But I will see if I can nerf them a bit.

Edited by Noiser

3 minutes ago, Noiser said:

One question about the Barons... Are you guys playing on Ultimate Doom? Because Barons are a lot rarer on Doom 2 maps.
This mod was balanced and tested for Doom 2 only.

... and It's CERTAINLY not made for maps like E4M2...
But I will see if I can nerf them a bit.

What is the point of this mod, for Doom 2 only? I thought one was to use it for other mapsets. See, sometimes, barons are encountered up close and without a lot of room to maneuver. With that said, I've seen the Baron on both 2016 and even mods like D4D and D4T. In the game mods, the baron does either the fireball attack or the slam attack, but it doesnt do a jumping fireball attack to my knowledge, and its certainly not being spammed in any of those. Why is it doing the jump spam fireball attack in yours?

Edit: I have a version of the files with GZDoom added.
Changelog:
-added [GZDoom] - TEST.bat
-added GZDoom to PORTS folder

Mind if I share? 

4 minutes ago, warman2012 said:

What is the point of this mod, for Doom 2 only? I thought one was to use it for other mapsets

Other mapsets made for Doom 2.

Thank you for fixing the chainsaw Noiser, it works well now. Although it seems really overpowered at the moment, you cut down a hellknight in a second.

1 hour ago, shredder962 said:

Edit: I have a version of the files with GZDoom added.
Mind if I share? 

No problem!

46 minutes ago, bojan_dk said:

Thank you for fixing the chainsaw Noiser, it works well now. Although it seems really overpowered at the moment, you cut down a hellknight in a second.

It's OP when fighting single enemies, but still a risky move against groups I think. I always ended up dying when there are more enemies at once...but maybe I'm just not very good at it 8D

I will make some tests anyway.
Edited by Noiser

I was playing Doom 2 maps, and yeah its common to encounter Barons in close quarters in my experience, which makes em a bit tougher than the map means for them to be. I personally don't feel they're too much of an issue, just mildly unfair when the map thrusts you into close quarters with them

25 minutes ago, Noiser said:

No problem!

It's OP when fighting single enemies, but still a risky move against groups imo. I always ended up dying when there are more enemies at once...but maybe I'm just not very good at it 8D

So weird how it loads (maybe I did it wrong? IDK). Might need to make a GZDoom only version as it only loads one way? 
Must just be the way it loads with GZDoom, the maps look different to the others and it only comes up with that one map through a New Game as compared to the other versions how they have different start maps. Could just be me, I have little experience loading GZDoom with batch files, only drag n drop hahaha

You can add this to the downloads to make it easy for anyone wanting to play GZDoom with this. Although to reiterate from before, I can re-do it in a GZDoom only version, but this one includes everything which makes it easier I guess.
https://mega.nz/#!AodnnYrZ!xNLdIuiUqn5KEHU1xi3mhQ3PEQcoRwIULkqpiDDXIAs

EDIT: Some more testing can be done to make sure I didn't do this wrong. 

This looks really cool! It's neat seeing an ambitious gameplay mod like this done within the vanilla dehacked constraints.

BTW, please add ptoing to the credits for the BTSX statusbar, as he did a lot of work on it too :)

The Baron is being tweaked for the next version, maybe the chainsaw as well (I'm feeling that a problem with the CS being too powerful may be related to differences on hitbox detection - I died a lot more on choco than on GZDoom). But idk, maybe it's just me.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

BTW, please add ptoing to the credits for the BTSX statusbar, as he did a lot of work on it too :)

Geez I'm dumb... thanks for letting me know!

Edited by Noiser