Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

DOOM 4 VANILLA v3.2

3 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

That was something I was meaning to report as well, and I think the shotguns dropped by Sergeants were supposed to give 4 I think in vanilla Doom.

It's 4 in vanilla but 5 in D4V, which I find a bit strange since shells are one of the last things you tend to run out of. What bothers me more is that bullet pickups are literally doubled for every type of drop. And considering how strong the new Chaingun is, you can spam it for days when ammo boxes give 100 bullets instead of 50 and all the fodder zombies drop 10 as well. I realize that it shoots faster, but the damage per bullet appears to be the same. Valiant did something similar with the Chaingun, but the pickup bonus was increased by 50% to 75 bullets for a box of ammo or 7 for a zombie clip. I feel that would be a more balanced amount. While I'm at it, the Chainsaw is still too strong compared to the Berserk and their power levels make more sense to be swapped. There is no reason to Berserk punch while having the saw, aside from shits and giggles. And finally, the Gore Nests which replace Pain Elementals have the major side effect of breaking teleport closets by being stationary.

Just some ideas, I'm not trying to be a backseat modder here. ;)

Thanks for letting me know about the shotguns, I didn't knew that. I will try to address some of these issues on the next releases.

The reason why the shell is five is 100% technical and necessary to balance the ammo count with some of the extra and regular weapons. I don't remember the details anymore, but that's the main reason. I don't think it's that big of a deal though, I even changed the message pickups on the latest version to be consistent with that.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, Spectre01 said:

Valiant did something similar with the Chaingun, but the pickup bonus was increased by 50% to 75 bullets for a box of ammo or 7 for a zombie clip. I feel that would be a more balanced amount.

Valiant is not exactly a gameplay mod, all the values there are made on maps created for that project. Here I have to do something that works with any map, including the ones with tighter ammo. I already reduced the max amount of bullets by half and I can make further tests to improve it, but this is the result I'm more satisfied for now (for the reasons you already noticed).

About the berserk - I imagine you may know it already, but the second punch is 3 times stronger than the first one, so they do a huge amount of damage. I already nerfed the chainsaw three times, if I do more it will stop being effective against single enemies and lose the purpose completely. I think this is the best scenario possible, but I will see if I can improve it in any other way. Thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by Noiser

Hello, there was a problem in the latest version of the best d4v v2.5.6 mod, the sound of a shot from a shotgun is muffled or not heard at all when there are a lot of opponents around. There was no such problem with previous versions. I launch the mod on chocolate doom on ps vita, this is the best on ps vita. it is possible that such a problem exists only on ps vita. Sorry for pointing out the flaws of the mod. Thank you so much for this wonderful mod.

Edited by 007_i_ola

1 hour ago, 007_i_ola said:

Hello, there was a problem in the latest version of the best d4v v2.5.6 mod, the sound of a shot from a shotgun is muffled or not heard at all when there are a lot of opponents around. There was no such problem with previous versions. I launch the mod on chocolate doom on ps vita, this is the best on ps vita. it is possible that such a problem exists only on ps vita. Sorry for pointing out the flaws of the mod. Thank you so much for this wonderful mod.

Chocolate Doom can only play 8 sounds simultaneously, as stated in a previous post in this thread. So it is easy to understand why your weapons' sounds will be either muffled or can't be heard at all.
You can try PRBoom+ via RetroArch instead.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Chocolate Doom can only play 8 sounds simultaneously, as stated in a previous post in this thread. So it is easily to understand why your weapons' sounds will be either muffled or can't be heard at all.
You can try PRBoom+ via RetroArch instead.

Thank you, but in the previous versions this was not, maybe there is an opportunity to put the priority of the sound of a shotgun shot above other sounds? I’m completely satisfied with chocolate, except for this small problem with the d4v mod, while I’m using an earlier version, and I hope that they will fix it later, but I’m happy with that, the mod is very cool :)

1 hour ago, 007_i_ola said:

Hey man, can you tell me if the problem sounds like this

What version worked better for you?

I really want to solve it, but I don't know what I have to do yet. Sound priority is still kind of a mystery for me but I would like to understand it more. Any help on this topic would be very appreciated.

Edited by Noiser

Just now, Noiser said:

I really want to solve it, but I don't know what I have to do yet. Sound priority is still kind of a mystery for me but I would like to understand it more. Any help on this topic would be very appreciated.

Hello, yes, the problem is just like on the video, in version 1.1 this was not at all, yesterday I installed version 2.5, this problem is almost never encountered in it, I only once noticed a muffling of the sound of the shot in 1 hour of the game, but I will need more check her out. In version 2.5.6, this problem appears constantly, even if there are even one or two enemies nearby. Later I will shoot a video on how the mod behaves on versions 1.1, 2.5 and 2.5.6 on the chocolate doom on ps vita. Thank you very much for this wonderful mod. Perhaps not everything is clear, I write through google translate

4 hours ago, Noiser said:

While filming a video in the chocolate settings, the Duma changed the number of sound channels from one to six in the audio settings and the problem almost disappeared in version 2.5.6, the sound still disappears, and version 1.1 works stably on any settings. I’ll post two videos below, both with setting the audio channels to 1. The first video version 1.1, the second version 2.5.6

mp4_video.rar

as I understand it, the problem is related to setting the number of sound channels, in earlier versions it did not affect anything.

Edited by 007_i_ola

This mod is absolutely fantastic, but I have one problem with it. I think the Super Shotgun animations look super janky. I find the weapon goes to reload to soon after fireing and also the reload animation doesn't feel as awesome as vanilla dooms supershotgun reload as your animations move way to fast for it to be satisfying

--------------------------------
VERSION 2.5.7 RELEASED
--------------------------------

Sorry for the long wait, I had a cold these days. :-)
More is yet to come!

DOWNLOAD 2.5.7 REGULAR
DOWNLOAD 2.5.7 MS-DOS

v2.5.5 Changelog:

Spoiler
  • - Major overhaul on sprites (mancubus, revenant, lost soul, hell razer and cacodemon)
  • - Slighly gameplay tweaks to improve the action and make some specific combat scenarios more enjoyable
  • - Shotgun is slightly faster (the way it was on the first release)
  • - Added multi-directional firing sprites to the Cacodemon (how I not saw this before?)
  • - Fixed the offsets on the Mancubi flamethrower
  • - Slighly updated E3M8 with some fixes
  • - Fixed some brightmaps (hardware mode)
  • - Added the revenant trail to the IOS projectile (don't affect gameplay)
  • - Fixed a few minor bugs

v2.5.6 Changelog:

Spoiler
  • - Fixed a very nasty bug on GZDoom where a Lost Soul corpse could block the player shots (a HUGE thanks to @silentzorah for letting me know via PM)
  • - Better texture compatibility for Doom Core and Alien Vendetta
  • - Fixed rendering issues with some map07fix files
  • - Improved some old textures
  • - Smaller fixes and other minor tweaks

v2.5.7 Changelog:

• - Fixed the shotgun bug on GZDoom (thanks @Spectre01)
  • - Fixed some blood flats not getting animated on GZDoom 
  • - Improved some weapon brightmaps (software and hardware)
  • - Improved the flying blood sprite\animation
  • - The Pinky sprite is a bit larger
  • - Reduced the Gauss Cannon cooldown
  • - Improved the imp XDeath sprites
  • - Slighly decreased the bullet ammo count
  • - Improved some other animations (overall)
  • - Corrected one last Plutonia texture issue
Edited by Noiser

Btw there is a folder called "D4V_v2.5.6" inside the package. It is only folder name error or did you accidentally packaged the 2.5.6 version?

I found something really weird .

While playing map 30 of Doom64 For Doom2 (D64D2) i found that if i use MBF 2.04 the final boss dissapears when you or another enemy hit it , sometimes it doesn't even move and then it dissapears , but if i use BOOM (v202) everything runs perfect O_O . Of course it runs with no problems using doom2.exe 

14 hours ago, Noiser said:

- Fixed the shotgun bug on GZDoom (thanks @Spectre01)

I am still getting 10 shells for each Shotgun dropped by a Sergeant in GZDoom compared to the 5 in PRBoom+. :(

Hello. I have two recommendations for how to make this mod more difficult on Nightmare! difficulty (skill 5 / "Ultra Nightmare"). The zombie movespeed needs to be at least doubled, and the ability to permanently stun pinkies needs to be removed! I'm not a programmer so I don't know if these can be implemented but these are just my thoughts.

It took me maybe 50+ hours of grinding to complete Episode 1 on Nightmare! playing vanilla Doom. I can beat Ultra Nightmare first try every try no problem with the D4V mod. The two most obvious factors contributing to this are the virtually harmless zombies (compared to the hit-scanning zombies of original Doom) and the ability to lock in place any pinky with any weapon (compared to getting surrounded/trapped by pinkies during most Nightmare runs in original Doom). I would like to see pinkies be totally immune to stun on skill 5 so that they charge you freely and can easily surround and trap you, just like original Doom. Again, I don't know if it' possible to totally remove stun, maybe just make it as close to zero as possible like in the original Doom, where on skill 5 they stop but only for a tiny fraction of a second. This would only affect turbo nerds like me who like to grind the game on skill 5.

Just to be clear, these changes are only meant to be active on skill 5, similar to how pinky movespeed is doubled while playing skill 5 in original Doom.

Edited by Hard2Poop

what is the difference between regular and ms-dos versions of d4v.wad ? (I am currently using version 1.1, not sure if there still is difference for 2.5.7)

1 hour ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

what is the difference between regular and ms-dos versions of d4v.wad ? (I am currently using version 1.1, not sure if there still is difference for 2.5.7)

Your avatar was my face after reading your comment xD

You should upgrade to the latest version of D4V , the several changes can be found all along this thread , with each version there was a changelog addressing the different fixes/changes that were made .

The differece between ms-dos and regular , is that MS-dos comes with doom2.exe already patched so you can play it on a real hardware without the need of patching the .exe by yourself . The regular version includes windows source ports . Both versions have some few pwads to test and their respective map07 fixes. 

On 1/12/2020 at 6:47 AM, Spectre01 said:

I am still getting 10 shells for each Shotgun dropped by a Sergeant in GZDoom compared to the 5 in PRBoom+. :(

wut! I was sure I had solved that for good
I will keep trying to fix then. Blame my cold lol

On 1/12/2020 at 3:19 AM, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

I found something really weird .

While playing map 30 of Doom64 For Doom2 (D64D2) i found that if i use MBF 2.04 the final boss dissapears when you or another enemy hit it , sometimes it doesn't even move and then it dissapears , but if i use BOOM (v202) everything runs perfect O_O . Of course it runs with no problems using doom2.exe 

Be aware that on DOS you need the map07 fix to play this mapset, because D64D2 uses a lot of dehacked tricks that can only be bypassed by this file. Besides that, I think MBF and Boom loads dehacked lumps automatically (or it's just MBF? idk). So it may be good to remove them from D64D2 to avoid conflicts.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:09 PM, Hard2Poop said:

Hello. I have two recommendations for how to make this mod more difficult on Nightmare! difficulty (skill 5 / "Ultra Nightmare").

Thanks for your suggestions! Unfortunately the skill5 behavior is hardcoded, so I can't mess with that. It's extremely difficult though, I'm sure you will have more trouble with Doom 2 maps!

Edited by Noiser

8 hours ago, Noiser said:

Be aware that on DOS you need the map07 fix to play this mapset, because D64D2 uses a lot of dehacked tricks that can only be bypassed by this file. Besides that, I think MBF and Boom loads dehacked lumps automatically (or it's just MBF? idk). So it may be good to remove them from D64D2 to avoid conflicts.

I know , im using the map07 fix in all my pwads that require it . I think its a MBF issue (that auto loads dehacked, boom doesn't and you need to manually add them with "-deh d4v.deh")

I removed the dehacked file from d64d2 and it crashes when you run towards one of the cyber demons (not always but it will crash), There is no problem since i can run it with no issues with BOOM 2.02  , but it's still a weird and funny "bug"  

I know. What I ask is, what difference is between regular and dos versions of d4v.wad (this exact file)? They are not the same files. (I checked 2.5.7, still not same).

Most of the map wads have dehs of their own, what happened to them? why not included?

Edited by roboticmehdi2

On 1/12/2020 at 4:47 AM, Spectre01 said:

I can attest that I'm still seeing this issue on GZDoom as well (using GZDoom v4.3.1) on the latest available release of D4V.

19 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

I can attest that I'm still seeing this issue on GZDoom as well (using GZDoom v4.3.1) on the latest available release of D4V.

Yes... What I tried to do was convert the shotgunguy to decorate and then tried to change the weapon pickup from there. I thought that would work.

Since it was not fixed, I will have to find another solution. I will keep trying, but I'm not sure if I will be able to do it.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, GooCharlie said:

are you able to add the other weapons from DOOM 2016? like the static rifle, and burst rifle as replacements?

Sorry for the late reply. I don't know yet if I should work on these, but I have some ideas in mind!

Inconsistent files, too many versions, too many files, the need for fix files, etc... It could have been as simple and as clean as: "d4v.wad, d4v.deh, d4v.txt" (3 files, plus maybe a dehacked executable for those who are not familiar with deh). But no, it is complex and messy. I will not have it, for now. Sorry, everyone has an opinion, this is mine, it can be ignored or taken as a feedback, like any other opinion.

23 minutes ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

Inconsistent files, too many versions, too many files, the need for fix files, etc... It could have been as simple and as clean as: "d4v.wad, d4v.deh, d4v.txt" (3 files, plus maybe a dehacked executable for those who are not familiar with deh). But no, it is complex and messy. I will not have it, for now. Sorry, everyone has an opinion, this is mine, it can be ignored or taken as a feedback, like any other opinion.

Before this, Dehacked gameplay mods are basically a questionable term, so being a big deal, this mod has a reason to be "messy".

Although I do agree, @Noiser should put up a version that has the bloated stuff removed.

Spoiler

The hype has basically died off now, so cleaning up stuff is certainly necessary imo.

I was excited to see an excellent looking mod for vanilla. Not much of these is done these days, most go directly for gzdoom. But my excitement was gone for reasons mentioned.

4 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

Don't worry man. I appreciate your feedback and I understand what you're trying to say, but I already did my best to make it as clean and easy as possible. It's not like a gzdoom mod, sometimes I have to adapt myself to deliver all the content (like the new weapons). Some people even suggested another version without the textures and things like that, so it could be even worse in this regard. For now I prefer to keep a single pack with everything you need to know rather then separate it on multiple links, which would let me crazy (I may do that on the future, but for another reasons).

The way it is, it's easier for me to keep the upcoming updates and it's user-friendly for those who are being introduced to other ports or dosbox.

Edited by Noiser

This and Pirate Doom! are some of the best mods i've ever played.

It makes you feel like you are playing DOOM 2016 (IGN - 10/10)