Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Revolution!

Category 2. I played this wad during the DWMC session a few years ago, so I know the overall concept of the megawad; it's simple and easy, but fun and enjoyable with only few unfair moments throughout the entire wad. This time, I decided to play the wad with community-made music pack, since the original wad didn't include any custom background music. That being said, I highly recommend everyone to play the wad with this awesome music pack, if you don't want to play it with stock doom 2 music.

Survived +2, with 2:53:43 in-game time: ironman_anta_tvr.zip

Holy moly! I Ironmanned the shit out of this set! Just over two weeks ago, as a matter of fact, and once two years ago. 

Unfortunately never got further than MAP23 and one of its extreme traps, but a survival is what I definitely want. 

Well its another cat 1 mapset for me so I doubt i'll survive an entire megawad blind.

4 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

Category 1 Dead on Map 21 to some bull shit :)

Can I guess first? The stupid mouth. 

*checks spoiler

Been there too...

4 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

ded on map 21

What was that???

Honestly, I didn't played that map. Only did it until map 08 and that was like 10 years ago...

I barely remember map 01 lol.

Not very fond of this wad. The first levels are cryptic and after that... it's somewhat more enjoyable but not worth my patience. It employs some cool tricks with vents and some neat effects, but this isn't my kind of Doom.

Ran out of patience after MAP10, it was interesting while it lasted but I don't think I would have forced myself to finish a 32 level wad in one sitting even if I could.

seedtvr.zip

On 9/2/2019 at 2:17 PM, Bdubzzz said:

Category 1 Dead on Map 21 to some bull shit :) I wasn't on pace to beat Naza's time anyway, got lost way to much in this set :p DWIronman-TVR-dubz.zip

Spoiler of the death:

Reveal hidden contents

I died to the same bullshit, that's what happen when you don't read the topic before doing a run c:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePU_kmqU494

Category 1, I only played the first 4 maps (I think, I'm not even sure) something like 14 years ago. I only remember not liking it back then and I still don't like it now.

Well I was doing really well until I met a cybie rocket in Map 14. Shame coz I didn't like the earlier levels and died just when things started to get interesting.

Demo: tvrdemo.zip (Category 1)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 2)

Dead on: Map14 (reached map 14 at around 1 hr 08-ish min mark)

Edited by ReaperAA : Accidentally wrote complevel 9 instead of 2

Interesting, I'll give it a try provided my stream / internet connection doesnt drop every 30 seconds 

On 9/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, ReaperAA said:

Shame coz I didn't like the earlier levels and died just when things started to get interesting.

Same here. There's few things that piss me off in Doom more than cryptic progression. I can take a BS trap or encounter much more nicely than this, usually. Cryptic progression makes me wanna tear my hair out. I simply can't cope with it anymore. But, I agree, it did seem to get a bit better but I ran out of patience by that time.

By the looks of it, I could've likely survived at least a few more maps, but I deemed it unworthy of my time and simply quit the game at the start of MAP11.

"You are not worthy." (in Dark Brotherhood door voice)

Edited by seed

22 minutes ago, seed said:

By the looks of it, I could've likely survived at least a few more maps, but I deemed it unworthy of my time and simply quit the game at the start of MAP11.

Every map in Revolution! is rather easy. It's just the occasional difficulty spikes - which are random, appear out of nowhere and mostly not telegraphed while hurting the balance - that render this mapset a bear trap and one to consider for Ironman. Luckily, moments like those are few and far between and if you're aware of them, the set shouldn't be too much a problem. I can see why anyone would quit it - progression, especially on MAP04 and MAP09, for instance, is rather obtuse and aggravating.

Hello, did a blind attempt last night.

Spoiler

Survival! In 3:29:47. I'm so happy to have gotten a first big survival in an Ironman mapset, though I did have a couple hairy moments early on, surprisingly. Other than that, things were smooth sailing.

That maze on map 18 perturbed me so much.
this was a Blind run

TIME TAKEN: 2:00:06

SATISFIED? NO I got cheated due to some STUPID MAZE AAAAAAAH

Hmmm....I'm noticing that at middle of the mapset and map 21 are gathering most of the deaths...and of course, getting out of those problems have a good chance of achieving the survival. Gotta take that into consideration :)

There is a game-breaking bug in map10.

Spoiler

If you don't activate the switch at linedef 549 before entering sector 50, you are unable to progress any further in the level. 

Category 1 demo. Result? Survived with 2 secret maps visited in 2:50:17.

TVR! was mostly easy (especially with fat ammo stacks being carried over from one map to another) with few sort of bs moments.

Edited by Beginner : correction to final time

9 hours ago, Beginner said:

Category 1 demo.

Just a heads up for Alfonzo, I've found that an intercept overflow has happened on MAP21 on my end while viewing the demo which desynced it. Luckily, by disabling emulation of it in prBoom+ settings, the demo works fine afterwards.

Also, your finishing time is 2:50:27, not sure why you made yourself look slower than you were. :P

1 hour ago, NaZa said:

an intercept overflow has happened on MAP21

It's weird that it even happened as moment where IO occurs doesn't look that IO worthy. I'm glad that not turning IO emulation on finally paid off with non-trashed demo.

Also I have no idea why I've written 2:52:17 in the post when I have 2:50:17 stated in filename & total time at map30 exit, thanks for noticing.

Survived in 3 hours, secret maps included.

I've never played the wad before, but I've watched Maxi Akse's TAS 30uv speedrun a couple years before, so I guess it's a category 2 run... ?

Anyway, yeah this is a good wad, featuring some nice and casual Doom II action. Obviously it's very easy by today's standards, with very few boss encounters and Medikits being generously offered all over the place. TVR certainly has its own identity thanks to the custom textures (particularly in the third episode).

tvr-Ironman-3h02-wh.zip

Survived+2. 3:28:57. Category 2. GLB+ 2.5.1.4

Demo: dwim_tvrLD85.zip

Sorry @an_muttfor being 50 seconds ahead of you :D

Edited by leodoom85 : forgot to add that I survived both secret maps

@Alfonzo Any updates on your run or the leaderboard? Also last month's challenge and victor (an_mutt) seem to be missing from the index in the bottom of the OP - here's the link for easy edit.

Yes, thanks NaZa. Will likely be a couple of days before I do any updates. Usually the first few days don't feature any as I'm trying to preserve cat [2] status for my own run! On this occasion though I did sneak a look at mutt's, so it's cat [3] once I get around to it.

I'll let the league know once it's up to date.

Most people here will survive this wad or the next one when you update the previous board or this wad's board for sure ;).