Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
olio

Having some problems with monsters crossing linedefs

Question

Hi, can anyone help explain to me why the revs are getting stuck in this situation? The only thing I can think of is that I have put a sound blocking linedef in place and there is something I'm not understanding about it's properties. Maybe the green bars are impassible somehow? Even after you raise them I mean. Probably something really simple I've overlooked, but I need a fresh set of eyes on this.

I have copy and pasted the relevant part of the map into the file below. I've been using Doom Builder 2 and GZDoom for testing. If you guys could help, that would be appreciated.

revprob.zip

Edit: I tried removing that sound blocking line and the green bars and they still get stuck. At this point I just have an open door way they can't walk through. Also they can't see me. In response to that I changed the linedefs entering the room, from the revs side to be one-sided, incase that had anything to do with it. Still stuck and still can't see me. Not sure what I'm missing.

Edited by olio

7 answers to this question

The revs can't move up the steps there because the steps are too tiny for them to fit on entirely. They'd need to be able to traverse more than 24 mapunits of height, which they simply can't, hence they never get to the bars or past them, for that matter.

The soundblocker has nothing to do with this problem, because it takes 2 layers of soundblockers for monsters to not hear the player to begin with, never mind that the revs can see where the player comes from in this case.

So, either make the steps larger, or make sure that you have 2 steps which add up to no more than 24 mapunits in height. Both methods will work fine, bigger steps might be easier to do here, though.

17 minutes ago, olio said:

It won't matter for my map, but is that why the revs can't see me enter the room? They don't respond to my presence until I step down the first step.

I honestly can't tell why that is the case, because the revs should see you coming from a mile away, even when the bars are still raised. I'm not sure which nodebuilder you're using, but it might help to try a different one to see if the problem still remains after rebuilding the nodes.

EDIT: AHA.... Onesided linedef! That's why

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

@olio

You are not the first to run into this problem, so don't feel bad. Even if you know better, it can still happen if you don't watch what you're doing. It's particularly embarrassing to have a bunch of demons stuck at the top of a flight of stairs, running back and forth, unable to threaten a player who can casually just shoot them at a distance. But I digress. The bottom line is that NIH is basically right.

To add to NIH's comment about the steps being too narrow, the monster's entire hit box cannot be over a surface more than 24 units lower than the current surface its on. So, either your steps are too high or too narrow (or both). A monster's speed is also a factor, which is why demons can be problematic. But, if you follow the guideline NIH laid out about step height vs. step width, you'll usually be fine.

For a more in-depth explanation, including movement speed, see scifista's description here (and you can see other parts of the discussion on the same page).

Right. I actually had this problem on the same map with some monsters going down stairs but didn't think of it applying upstairs. It won't matter for my map, but is that why the revs can't see me enter the room? They don't respond to my presence until I step down the first step.

Just a spam-ish comment to make sure you read my edited post... The linedef needs to be 2 sided, else it is bound to cause weird behaviour. If that doesn't fix the problem entirely, then I'd be somewhat surprised.

I would have said something right away, but I had to reload the page to even notice that you put a onesided linedef in, which you never should be doing, unless you really know what you're getting into.

I originally had those lines set to double sided and changed them because I thought that might be part of the problem. But alas, even with double sided linedefs they can't see me. At this point, I can work my level to how I want it, but my curiosity wants me to know why they can't see me.

Edit: Wait no! That was the case, but I had some lines set to one sided that I didn't know about. Not sure how that happened, but at some point I ended up with one sided linedefs that I forgot about. Thanks for your help.

This is but one room in a map I plan on releasing soon, which I hope will be pretty cool.

Edited by olio