Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron Pampa

Nice graphical mods recommendations

Which graphical mods do you like to use with your source port?

Personally, I can recommend three mods for GZdoom:
SpriteShadow - Introduces shadows for the monsters. I haven't heard much of it, but I really like the nonintrusive improvement. The cacodemons are particularly good with this mod. Link: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=54992

Droplets - Famous one, improves blood. Link: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=46509

Tilt++ - View tilting when moving. Defaults are a bit aggressive, but I like the effect after tuning the settings down.

SmoothDoom is a mod I'd like to like. After using it for some time some minor annoyances got too annoying: muzzle flash looking like it's sucked inside the gun, excessive use of blood etc.
I'd also love to see a vanilla-friendly sprite improvement, but I haven't found anything better than vanilla sprites.

Smoothdoom is my absolute go-to mod and I use it whenever possible. Tilt++ is also very nice. Other than that I always load the Doom highres sounds as well.

I've been playing around with mods on my phone, seeing what it can do.  I've had some fun adding useless shiny stuff to give vanilla Doom some freshness.

I've made a small personal compilation with some mods from all over the place.  I want to give credit to the people who made them, but I have to dig deep and research where I picked everything up from, I apologize to anyone who sees their work here uncredited.

As a base I use DarkDoomz, it's for cranking down the light levels and adding distance fog.

I use the Low res PBR materials or plastic shaders.

I use steveflashlight for a light source, it works well as a way to highlight the PBR and Plastic Shaders.

I use a brightmap set that has glowing eyes on enemies, Scarybrightmaps.pk3.

I use liquidtextures and shaders as well as an item lights mod to make armor and health stand out and create dynamic light sources.

It's all pretty neat and I like the way it looks on my phone.  I've been replaying Ultimate Doom on HMP and UV and it's much more difficult.  I also like the way it makes you feel present in the environment.  Even though it's just slapping a fresh coat of paint on an old game I'm having fun with it.  I imagine it like Doom 3 bleeding into classic Doom.  

I made a quick video with my old Galaxy S7.

I'd really like to try a map that has more confined spaces, more realistic geometry, more dynamic lights all while using stock textures.