Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Exporting BMPs instead of PNGs in SLADE?

Question

If someone could help me with this that would be fantastic, it's the one and only final reason I still have XWE installed..

Is there some way to export sprites/GFX lumps as BMPs rather than PNGs? I still use the version of mspaint that came with win98 to do sprite edits and it doesn't like PNG, and I just generally prefer editing in the BMP format.

3 answers to this question

On 9/4/2019 at 1:50 AM, Doomkid said:

... it's the one and only final reason I still have XWE installed..

That is one of the reasons I turn to XWE. [Plus, it can be used to extract graphics and resources from a bunch of old games.]

On 9/4/2019 at 1:50 AM, Doomkid said:

I still use the version of mspaint that came with win98 to do sprite edits and it doesn't like PNG, and I just generally prefer editing in the BMP format.

I, too, like editing BMP format images in MS Paint. Newer versions of MS Paint seemed to have dropped the BMP-editing functionality.

Incidentally, I have become fairly proficient in editing JPEG and PNG format images in GIMP, which I highly recommend. Another great program for modifying images is XNView, although there are no pencil or similar tools. (I.e., it can be used for resizing, adjusting color/hue/saturation, editing palettes - especially for assigning transparency, etc.)