Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

do you guys think they will mess up DooM 64 like they did the classic DooM release?

they used some shitty soundfont(I'm guessing the standard windows one) for the DooM classic release, and they messed up the aspect ratio for sprites, do you guys think they will make similar mistakes with the Switch release of Doom64? I think you can extract the soundfont file from the original ROM so hopefully they use that.

2 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I heard it was just Doom 64 EX, so probably not. It'll be fine.

that would be pretty nice, Doom 64 EX is an amazing port.

Nightdive's behind this one, so that's a lot less likely.

Though I'm fairly sure it won't be using the original EX codebase; I'm pretty sure they'll use the latest KEX instead. I'd be surprised if they did though; it'd be great. Alas, the only other Doom Engine deal they ever did that was "explicitly" Doom Engine was Strife: Veteran Edition, and even that used Chocolate Strife as a base.

Not a chance, NDS is handling this one, which means it'll likely use the KEX engine and not be a quick rush job as well.

It might not be the original EX, but even if it will be, it will most probably have a host of new features and enhancements.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

Not a chance, NDS is handling this one, which means it'll likely use the KEX engine and not be a quick rush job.

It might not be the original EX, but even if it will be, it will most probably have a host of new features and enhancements.

oh they are? that's awesome! I love their work on Blood: Fresh Supply

Nah I don't think so ,DOOM 3 was fine and they are in the process of fixing all the niggling issues with DOOM and DOOM II. I have faith.

3 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

oh they are? that's awesome! I love their work on Blood: Fresh Supply

Too bad they ran out of time before they could fully patch that one though :p.

They are, they're credited for the Switch release.

As long as Kaiser's involved, the chances of this messing up like Bethesda/Nerve's ports should fare very low. This will likely have all the essential Doom 64 EX options and fidelity, plus whatever makes sense for a commercial release.

13 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Nah I don't think so ,DOOM 3 was fine and they are in the process of fixing all the niggling issues with DOOM and DOOM II. I have faith.

I'm worried they won't fix all the issues with Doom and Doom II:

-lighting is way off in some sections

-frame rate locked at a point that doesn't divide evenly into 60hz, causing judder

-they used the low horizontal resolution so the aspect ratio is off

-censored out the Nazi references in Doom II

-music is the wrong tempo

-sound effects are super low quality

-rendering resolution doesn't match output resolution resulting in borders

-strange artifacts in splitscreen

-online sign-in BS

-Doom II is missing No Rest for the Living

-Final Doom nowhere in sight

There's really no excuse for botching it that hard in 2019.

Maybe they're planning on selling Final Doom and/or NRFTL separately, but the rest is just shoddy work.

21 minutes ago, famicommander said:

-frame rate locked at a point that doesn't divide evenly into 60hz, causing judder

-online sign-in BS

Those are actually getting addressed in the upcoming patch. The one I am not sure is the framerate. They also mentioned "performance improvements" but I'm not aware of such issues, so could that mean they're making them run at 60fps? Or just improve the interpolation?

The Beth.net fiasco was sorted shortly after release, it's optional now. Things like the Wolfenstein levels and Nazi references are probably not going to ever be fixed, sadly. They used the BFG Edition IWAD I think, which had all these changes.

Also add on that (unless it's just a bug with DooM 1's port) projectiles can fly over decorations whereas default (chocolate since I can't test vanilla) doom they don't.

53 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Also add on that (unless it's just a bug with DooM 1's port) projectiles can fly over decorations whereas default (chocolate since I can't test vanilla) doom they don't.

You may want to test things before saying it. "Unity" Doom matches vanilla doom behaviour, it's a demo compatible port after all as proven by the attract loop being intact. Vanilla (and chocolate logically) allow projectiles to fly through*/over decorations

*Projectiles don't actually go through decorations, they could collide with them but the heights of decorations are actually 8 units tall, thus no projectile could typically hit them.

27 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

It's only partially demo compatible. Doom 2's MAP11 demo goes out of sync at the final Commando.

The same desync has existed since the 360 XBLA version, of note. Curiously not present in the original Xbox port. It's rather curious as to what could be causing it, but it has nothing to do with the new port.

Edited by Edward850

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

The same desync has existed since the 360 XBLA version, of note. Curiously not present in the original Xbox port. It's rather curious as to what could be causing it, but it has nothing to do with the new port.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the PC version of the BFG Edition IWAD shares this desync? I can't find any videos of the internal demos to see it for myself.

It's not the IWAD that has the desync, it's the code itself. But yes, in BFG Edition the same desync exists, which makes sense because it's the same code that's in Doom2 XBLA and the new ports.

14 hours ago, famicommander said:

censored out the Nazi references in Doom II

I thought the Nazi stuff had been censored in many ports since the original release not just this one. Is this right?

20 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

I thought the Nazi stuff had been censored in many ports since the original release not just this one. Is this right?

Most ports simply did not include the levels, rendering the issue completely moot.

The Nazi removal doesn't really bother me too much - at the time it was a cool throwback secret to Wolf3D. Nowadays it would just come off as random Nazis for no real reason.

54 minutes ago, deepthaw said:

The Nazi removal doesn't really bother me too much - at the time it was a cool throwback secret to Wolf3D. Nowadays it would just come off as random Nazis for no real reason.

How does that make any sense?

The removal bothers me honestly, not because of "muh censorship", but because it ruins the essence and charm of the maps. It like having Wolf3D without the elements that make the game what it is.

Here's a pretty cool vid on the subject, specifically the one they censored in the original DOOM.

1 hour ago, Fuzzball said:

Who is "they" ...related to the fabled "someone"?

id Software, of course, or more specifically, Romero.

The nazi removal should have been handled in a way close to the SNES Wolfenstein 3D port and GBA Doom 2 port: replace Hitler with Deathshead in paintings, make Nazis speak broken english with an accent and maybe change their designs to resemble TNO armor while the Swastikas are that W logo used since RTCW.

And then level names and music are still kept because they literally come from Wolfenstein and aren't really references to real Nazi stuff.

Besides, they kept this removal along with marketing new Wolfenstein games about killing nazis (which IS Wolfenstein but they all now have different tones if you compare them, even) and you can still kill Commander Keen, a child who is meant to be related to none other than William BJ Blazkowicz himself. (which technically means you go from killing nazis to a child who's the grandson of an half jewish anti-nazi hero)

Meanwhile, Resurrection of Evil gets content cut such as certain levels and minigames for no reason, even if one of the minigames had a Goatse reference.

Edit: what about what they could add to or improve for D64?

Like a new mapset similar to No Rest For The Living.

Edited by whatup876 : just adding more stuff and fixes

On 9/6/2019 at 4:19 AM, famicommander said:

I'm worried they won't fix all the issues with Doom and Doom II:

-they used the low horizontal resolution so the aspect ratio is off

-censored out the Nazi references in Doom II

-rendering resolution doesn't match output resolution resulting in borders

-strange artifacts in splitscreen

-online sign-in BS

-Doom II is missing No Rest for the Living

-Final Doom nowhere in sight

There's really no excuse for botching it that hard in 2019.

Maybe they're planning on selling Final Doom and/or NRFTL separately, but the rest is just shoddy work.

There is also an issue with selecting the berserk fist too. In these new ports when you have the chainsaw you cant reselect berserk once youve changed away from it. In vanilla doom the chainsaw replaced the fist but allowed free access to it for the duration of the level with berserk from memory. I found it to be a bit of an annoying handicap personally since its my go to Pinky killer.

1 hour ago, DarkScythe13 said:

There is also an issue with selecting the berserk fist too. In these new ports when you have the chainsaw you cant reselect berserk once youve changed away from it. In vanilla doom the chainsaw replaced the fist but allowed free access to it for the duration of the level with berserk from memory. I found it to be a bit of an annoying handicap personally since its my go to Pinky killer.

I wasn't aware of that one. I believe that is also the case in the Atari Jaguar port. I have the game sitting nearby, and I'm pretty sure that's the case.

It's impossible for them to mess up as bad as they did with the original 2 releases to get a meme worthy something. If the forced login was by accident... did that programmer get fired? That's quite a public embarrassment and if not fired that would lead me to believe that yeah they were harvesting emails.

I am wondering if Switch Online will get SNES Doom.

2 hours ago, geo said:

It's impossible for them to mess up as bad as they did with the original 2 releases to get a meme worthy something. If the forced login was by accident... did that programmer get fired? That's quite a public embarrassment and if not fired that would lead me to believe that yeah they were harvesting emails.

I am wondering if Switch Online will get SNES Doom.

I'd imagine not, as while SNES Doom is a technically impressive port, in terms of actually enjoyable Dooming, I'd not really recommend it.