Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pop13lolol

whats your most hated doom 1 or 2 enemy?

Archviles for sure. They're fast, their attacks do a lot of damage if you can't find cover, they take a lot of hits to kill, and they revive other demons.

they guys at id were just like ok what can we do to make the game more bullshit on ultra violence and john romaro was just like make our worst nightmares a monster that is near impossable to get away from.  

I don't hate any monster per se, but can hate (or love) most of them depending on how they are used:

I hate chaingunners and massed imps used as snipers

I hate Wolfenstein SS used in non-Wolfenstein themed maps

I hate spectres I can't see because it's too dark

I hate arch viles used to resurrect arenas of enemies I already killed earlier in the map

I hate massed revenants used in slaughtermaps

I hate arachnotrons used in lazy Doom II map 7 clones

I hate hell knights, barons and mancubi used in too cramped spaces

I hate cacodemons used in areas that are very high leading them to drift way above you so they are impossible to shoot

I hate cyberdemons used in areas that don't give you enough room for manoeuvre to dodge their rockets, or are too dark so you can't see their rockets

I hate any heavy-hitter where you don't have the weapons equipped to kill them (killing baron with single shotgun, no thanks)

Ok, I hate Icon of Sin, period

They all have their place if used smartly, but pain elementals and by extension lost souls are probably the enemies I'm almost always annoyed to encounter. The idea of an enemy that spawns lesser enemies is cool, especially in 1994, but the problem is that lost souls have way too much health, or pain elementals attack way too fast, or probably both. Every lost soul wastes ammo, each one can take several seconds to kill because they fly into hard to get places, they stop you from using rockets safely, their sounds and movement and attacks are annoying, and they just generally pollute the air and make the game suck. If you rebalance lost souls to have less health then pain elementals are much more fun and balanced to fight, like in Eviternity. But in standard balance there's nothing worse than getting locked into a pattern where you fire the SSG at a pain elemental just as it spawns a lost soul, absorbing every pellet, and then you try to shoot again and the same thing happens, again and again. If you're in a map with tight ammo balance and pain elementals, you're basically screwed unless you can get lucky and kill them immediately.

The only other enemy I mostly dislike are barons, because they're so boring to fight, slow the game down and again eat up too much ammo. Their projectile attack is pathetic, they're slow and dumb, and so their only really dangerous attack is blocking your path or cornering you. I don't like Brutal Doom balance but giving them a more powerful multi-projectile attack was at least a good idea. Almost every fight is more boring when you add barons, unless you already have 100 rockets or a BFG...no, it's still more boring. Almost any baron in a map is better off being a hell knight unless there's a very good reason to use barons specifically, like for infighting. And if a mapper repeatedly forces the player to kill barons with the super shotgun or worse, the shotgun, they're going to meet the real barons of Hell in the afterlife. Carving solid granite with a plastic spoon is less tedious than shotgunning barons.

I guess if you count the icon of sin as an actual enemy and not a wall plus rudimentary scripting, then yeah, it sucks too.

I've answered this before and I might as well say it again.

Chaingunners, Archviles and Revenants. (and former sergeants when spammed).

Chaingunners for what ever reason seem to have lightning fast reflexes. I go around a corner and before I can say "oh hai" they're already trying to pelt me with bullets.

Archviles. High helath. High speed. Low pain chance. Revives enemies. Need I say more?

Revenants have a very nasty habit of sniping me out of nowhere or getting a cheeky homing rocket in when I'm just about to deliver the final blow to them. Not to mention, they're almost always in groups. Rarely do I see singular revenants.

I decided to add former sergeants to the list mostly due to how strong their shotgun blasts are. For being a pathetically weak enemy, FS' can REALLY pack a nasty punch at close range and, like chaingunners, also have a habit of snapping to me the second I see one. Thankfully a quick pelt of the chaingun does destroy them quickly.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:39 AM, Horus said:

I don't hate any monster per se, but can hate (or love) most of them depending on how they are used:

I hate chaingunners and massed imps used as snipers

I hate Wolfenstein SS used in non-Wolfenstein themed maps

I hate spectres I can't see because it's too dark

I hate arch viles used to resurrect arenas of enemies I already killed earlier in the map

I hate massed revenants used in slaughtermaps

I hate arachnotrons used in lazy Doom II map 7 clones

I hate hell knights, barons and mancubi used in too cramped spaces

I hate cacodemons used in areas that are very high leading them to drift way above you so they are impossible to shoot

I hate cyberdemons used in areas that don't give you enough room for manoeuvre to dodge their rockets, or are too dark so you can't see their rockets

I hate any heavy-hitter where you don't have the weapons equipped to kill them (killing baron with single shotgun, no thanks)

Ok, I hate Icon of Sin, period

You must love sandy Petersen, lol

This question seems to pop up periodically. Fair enough:

None. Sure, some of them really piss me off sometimes, but they all serve their purpose in the bestiary. It all comes down to how you use them.

For me it would have to be the Lost Souls. They get in your way and take way too long to kill. For Doom 2 then by extension it would have to be the Pain Elementals. Spawning more Lost Souls as an attack is annoying, and then they spawn more lost souls when they die.