Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Onox

Hexen: Cult of Despair - A "semi-openworld" WoC campaign (New 1.4A Version!)

Hi again, after almost a month I finished what I promised! The first beta of my mod is now public.

Have fun and tell me if you found bugs or something I should improve.

It doesn't work for me (even when trying it in GZDoom 3.4.0 rather than the latest version).  I get "Invalid parameter a_sorcspinballs" relating to line 407 in the file "hexnmash.txt" in the pk3.

Cult of Despair must be loaded after WoC V2.2 in the autoload. I have checked both versions and it works for me.

I noticed that in the boss arenas, pretty much all of the supplies are stored in pots. So you need to actively break them to get more mana/health. And they're also often placed on ledges you have to jump up to to actually reach. This may sound like a small thing, but it's annoying to have to do that while you're being chased by the relentless bosses. It would be nice if there was simply mana & health sitting around for you to walk into.

12 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I noticed that in the boss arenas, pretty much all of the supplies are stored in pots. So you need to actively break them to get more mana/health. And they're also often placed on ledges you have to jump up to to actually reach. This may sound like a small thing, but it's annoying to have to do that while you're being chased by the relentless bosses. It would be nice if there was simply mana & health sitting around for you to walk into.

I take note of that! I'm still doing some changes in the dungeons (specially more decorations and variations in the textures) and this type of feedback is really important for me!

I have plans to change the second boss arena too, nerf the Dark Patriarch battle (I noticed that it was a difficulty spike for some people) and making the wyverns appearing from statues instead of just a wall.

Also I have started to do an optional mini-dungeon in the swamp, do you remember that empty area in the corner of the huge swamp? Now do you have a motive to visit it if you want a challenge.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191003_123750.png.cb5fbebd972ef6b7ed2ce4eb5bdd897f.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191003_123813.png.7bf2d8ef60fc49cc160961cb461b2ea3.png

Edited by Onox

Goes without saying, but in one of your promo screenshots, an Umaoi statue is also named the "Umaio Statue."

Originally I'd typed that as "Unmaoi/Unmaio." Kind of a pity it's not actually that, as ironically, "Unmei" (運命, うんめい) is the Japanese word for fate/destiny.

46 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Goes without saying, but in one of your promo screenshots, an Umaoi statue is also named the "Umaio Statue."

Originally I'd typed that as "Unmaoi/Unmaio." Kind of a pity it's not actually that, as ironically, "Unmei" (運命, うんめい) is the Japanese word for fate/destiny.

That grammar mistake was fixed in this currently version, I just chose a random name for those statues (their support roles are based on the Sheikah Stones from the Zelda franchise).

Really? That sounds very cool, I could change the name then, thanks for the idea.

it's been a while but I have been working this month a lot, the next update will bring two optional dungeons to explore, a new village, a lot of new details added into the old levels and some rooms in the dungeons have been slightly changed.

I also added the Strife dialogue, it is really useful for the vision about what I want with my mod.

I don't know when the next update will be available, but I hope to have it ready in two weeks more or less.

And of course, new images:

Spoiler

1.png.66ad35f818fd10d397d1208a9ff0c442.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191118_202623.png.9f0bdee018eab0d11ce5a02027eb9e1c.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191118_202323.png.acbb3a6d5933549bac42641e9eeb1236.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191118_202202.png.45816ff53748c404992c533a337cb469.png

Hi again, I know the thread has been silent some months, but I keep working very hard on the campaign, it is a project I'm putting all my heart into it and I'm having so much fun mapping and making subquests like finding a puzzle item for a npc or killing a concrete strong monster hidden in a level.
There will be a few new items carefully balanced, a red mark above of diaries and books (so you know what things you can read when approaching them), a yellow mark to know where you must continue in the main quest, new kinds of chests with different rewards and more monsters/mini bosses/bosses adapted to Wrath of Cronos. All of them will appear in places that fit with the environment.

I still can't confirm a release of the next version, but it will worth the wait! Also it works with Wrath of Cronos 3.A and the latest gzdoom builds now.

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

U734qKM.png

Spoiler

hWPJh4d.png

Spoiler

YsWTm5v.png

Spoiler

FS6SrVf.png

Spoiler

qkY8XJs.png

I'm also working in a new enemy (Cult Rider) using the D'Sparil sprites with some minor changes here and there, I'm very glad of the result:

OhbGJk7.pngYTXzs5D.pngXcJehR1.png

i only helped with some part of your wad which isnt a lot. but im really liking what i see on the screens. what i like the most its how you made some areas feel more alive, and to be honest i didnt expected you could make this something big, with the videos you have showed me on how areas plays or even that small video where you enter to the town bar i like how lively seems thanks to the sound ambience.

not gonna lie i didnt gave a chance to the mod because didnt have that version of gzdoom to run it, but now that there is a new version of the mod finally give a try. keep it up your good work onox.

13 minutes ago, Z0k said:

i only helped with some part of your wad which isnt a lot. but im really liking what i see on the screens. what i like the most its how you made some areas feel more alive, and to be honest i didnt expected you could make this something big, with the videos you have showed me on how areas plays or even that small video where you enter to the town bar i like how lively seems thanks to the sound ambience.

not gonna lie i didnt gave a chance to the mod because didnt have that version of gzdoom to run it, but now that there is a new version of the mod finally give a try. keep it up your good work onox.

Thank you very much z0k for your comment, right now I have two videos to share, in the first one I show how a small subquest works (where you kill some cultists of a camp and then you return to the guard for the reward), in the second video it is just a gameplay of a new area (some parts of the bridge and other minor details are still unfinished).

Enjoy and stay tuned for the next news!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvjWmP9B0Qjl1l1ohO6CmI-5OJ8uO1kS/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N5OzvqDuSq1C2MZ5Cm7QEYpTskyn5Wx6/view

New update! Don't forget to read the first post for more info! Now it works with the latest gzdoom version and Wrath of Cronos 3.A! Enjoy it!
Remember to load woc_v3a.pk3 FIRST before CultofDespair.pk3 in the load order.

If you don't get experience after loading the mod for the first time:

Options -> Wrath of Cronos Options -> Experience Multiplier

Edited by Onox

I see that you can read books here, which in order to do and according to the game, is if there's a red mark floating over it.

When I walk over the book at the start, press E (Use), hit it, etc., I can't seem to read it.

I'm using the lastest WoC which is the one in your thread, loading it first before Cult of Despair but still nothing :p

EDIT: nvm I found out you just bump or get close to them and you can read the book :'D

Edited by Archanhell

14 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

I see that you can read books here, which in order to do and according to the game, is if there's a red mark floating over it.

When I walk over the book at the start, press E (Use), hit it, etc., I can't seem to read it.

I'm using the lastest WoC which is the one in your thread, loading it first before Cult of Despair but still nothing :p

Oh, I think that there is a misunderstanding here, books and notes are just read by passing near them (you will hear the sound of a paper and the text in the middle of your screen), it is usually a short tip or clue about something.

To interact or talk to npcs (villagers, soldiers, dogs, etc...) you must press the Use/Open key.

1 hour ago, Onox said:

Oh, I think that there is a misunderstanding here, books and notes are just read by passing near them (you will hear the sound of a paper and the text in the middle of your screen), it is usually a short tip or clue about something.

To interact or talk to npcs (villagers, soldiers, dogs, etc...) you must press the Use/Open key.

Yup I discovered the book thingie just now heh, I was a bit silly there cus I was just reading the first book :p

About interacting, ya, thanks to playing Strife and only mods with dialogue I could get to understand that at first thankfully haha, except the first dog I see, maybe he's a silent doggo!

6 minutes ago, Archanhell said:

Yup I discovered the book thingie just now heh, I was a bit silly there cus I was just reading the first book :p

About interacting, ya, thanks to playing Strife and only mods with dialogue I could get to understand that at first thankfully haha, except the first dog I see, maybe he's a silent doggo!

Most dogges will only bark when you interact with them, but who knows if some magical animal could talk with you in some special area in future updates :P

1 hour ago, Onox said:

Most dogges will only bark when you interact with them, but who knows if some magical animal could talk with you in some special area in future updates :P

That would be the best thing I'd see on my life :P

So far this mapset for WoC has been veeeery incredible and I'm amazed by all that you have been doing, the gameplay and scenarios are varied and detailed with lots of enemies and all, and it has been helped me get some doubts off my head for mapping thingies, such as portals, 3D floors, puzzles and whatnot!

I have not found bugs or anything, the only thing so far is super minor and no one would notice it, but there's a small texture misalignment that is "notorious" on the Swamp Temple, on the first room with anglers!

Screenshot_Hexen_20200330_183237.png.aa6d4e4e3a979946058ab1490dd356e9.png

Note that this can be seen on both 'holes' :p

10 hours ago, Archanhell said:

So far this mapset for WoC has been veeeery incredible and I'm amazed by all that you have been doing, the gameplay and scenarios are varied and detailed with lots of enemies and all, and it has been helped me get some doubts off my head for mapping thingies, such as portals, 3D floors, puzzles and whatnot!

I have not found bugs or anything, the only thing so far is super minor and no one would notice it, but there's a small texture misalignment that is "notorious" on the Swamp Temple, on the first room with anglers!

Screenshot_Hexen_20200330_183237.png.aa6d4e4e3a979946058ab1490dd356e9.png

Note that this can be seen on both 'holes' :p

I have the "quality" of the Swamp Temple a bit abandoned compared to Direwood Castle but I have plans to improve the details in some rooms and the use of more varied textures for that dungeon in the next update, I will check that texture misalignment too.

Glad my campaign helped you with some ideas related with mapping stuff, and of course, thanks for playing it! :D

Hey again! I have been working in the next update with a lot of fixes already done, old areas has been a bit revamped as always and new places to explore together with new cultists and creatures to kill in your quest! I can't say when it will be ready (it could take a few weeks yet) but I brought some screenshots about what I have been working this month:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20200516_224846.png.a4e9f24f33d8512c11d26590dba590ae.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20200508_172003.png.5a1f31e51947074443f5c4eec391110a.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20200519_204528.png.2be10ed4d2c478bde64b42a225ef3d85.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20200501_001213.png.215d406087b6a5c2582de5f7b385c0d5.png

The level Black Passage has been 100% finished, now I'm focused on the Cultist Fortress and the Lonely Den dungeon, stay tuned! :D

I have been working in the Heretic Gates (based on the Slayer Gates from Doom Eternal) where you will fight against a lot of monsters for waves in a deathmatch map-style to get a good reward and money if you survive, my plans are to make 6 Gates around the entire game using the original Heretic keys plus the new ones made by Neoworm, here it is the first gate I did as a preview!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14PI_QcwDP8iRmJWdcscvo908auhbTLL5/view

It is a good source of exp if you are looking for a nice and optional challgenge.

Also, you will get the keys by doing subquest from npcs, the heretic gates are well located and impossible not to see them during your adventure :P

I like the ideia and screenshots. Gonna give a try asap.

EDIT: 

Ok, played a I little: 

I really like what a I see. The maps are just so well made, maybe a little to brightful? Just my opinion. Overall, a like it. 

Oh, just another think. I see some enemies that don't trigger when I come close, I think cause they are facing the wrong direction? 

But... 

Spoiler

The cultists are using pistols?! 

Edited by arnaldocsf

23 hours ago, arnaldocsf said:

EDIT: 

Ok, played a I little: 

I really like what a I see. The maps are just so well made, maybe a little to brightful? Just my opinion. Overall, a like it.

Glad you enjoyed! There are some later areas and specially caves where you will need a torch to cross them, anyway, you can check the bright of the game on display options -> hardware renderer -> sector light mode.

Oh, just another think. I see some enemies that don't trigger when I come close, I think cause they are facing the wrong direction?

That is how the Ambush flag works in Doom/Hexen/Heretic, they need to hear a weapon sound to start to chase the player, but since the first weapon of every class is silent, it doesn't alert the enemies.

Hide contents

The cultists are using pistols?! 

They are using early predecessors of the modern guns, in fact, the sixth weapon slot of the Hunter is a gunpowder blunderbuss. But don't worry, those enemies are only common the first hour of the game just in case you think they feel a bit off.

Hi again!

As always. I have been working severals months in the campaign, polishing many things, adding new dungeons and npcs that will give you subquests (like going in a cave to kill a Stalker nest) with good rewards!

I also added a feature similar to Gold Skulltulas from Ocarina of time/Majora's Mask; in some dungeons you will find yellow spiders in secret rooms, after killing them they will drop a golden token that you can exchange for unique items you can't buy in normal merchants (some of those items are from WoC and other ones made by me).

PSGIA1.png.fc6b90d93ec7c2b600e23699365b36af.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_185737.png.adb76e9284e050cca6c97364c92e2f41.png

Spoiler

2.png.d3d3d1046a1925945a678c96177a104d.png

The summary of what I have done so far:

· A tutorial dungeon in the first village, now you can't leave town until you do it.
· Banishment Device is not longer useless, now the artifact throws a powerful fireball against the enemies instead of teleporting them. The higher your level is, the more powerful the fireball is.
· New items like the Friendly Familiar Egg: When you throw this strange yellow egg, a small monster will help you during the fights, the creature is random, it can be a baby dragon, a rat, a bat, a snake and other surprises
· New subquests in the merchant cave where some soldiers will tell you what to do. (most of them related to kill a bunch of enemies in some caves)
· Added a few harmless bunnies, also some villagers now wander around the towns.
· Added two new bosses.
· Gold Skulltulas system like in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. At the entrance of the dungeon a statue will tell you how many spiders are left.
· More dungeons and a part of the wasteland finished.
· Added Heretic Gates where you can test your skills against monster waves.
· Some minor enemy spawns changed in old locations for balancing issues.

And finally new screenshots:

Spoiler

1.png.7ffb78a3aa5db8bde9f5ce168d2860b2.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_190959.png.4f987ad286a4f5f2410e9b88a51befc7.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_185323.png.97d6fa0eff2fd5825e9cf5af4cd621a8.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_185143.png.b76886d47ad7e6e6e1d7ed05deb31414.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_185303.png.5932d0e8025532873d05e04ca6c87f3e.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_185043.png.d0a16341ed8f92134ec2c79cdb97c1ef.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20201006_191853.png.a036167605f266aeef12373c80ee51b7.png

A new version has been released! (1.3)
I also have checked this works with the latest 4.5 Gzdoom version, any feedback is appreciated  :D

Remember you need Wrath of Cronos V3A to play my mod!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--UeDwVohpW4jK9Ulfeit0FhC8arcd6T/view

Changelog:

- A new intro with the lore of the mod
- Added more decorations and revamped some old rooms and areas
- Goldenleaf Village has a graveyard now
- The dungeon Black Passage is finished
- A tutorial dungeon has been added: Bottom of Well (you need to do this level to leave the first village)
- Added more dungeons: Lonely Den and Cultist Fortress
- New bosses!
- Added the Heretic Gates: They are optional arenas where you can fight waves of monsters to test your skills with good rewards
- More subquests to do from some characters in the Cave Merchant
- Added one extra Vampire in the boss battle of the Hidden Basement, but their HP have been reduced from 3200 to 2000
- Added Golden Chakras: They are spiders hidden in secret rooms that release a golden token after killing them
- Added a new character in the Cave Merchant called Arabelle who trades your golden tokens for exclusive items
- The Banishment Device throws a powerful fire ball instead of teleporting enemies (I always thought this item was useless in woc)
- Added a new item: The Friendly Familiar Egg. You can find it as rare loots from chests or by trading it for golden tokens
- Some monster spawns have been changed in some areas
- Added the Wasteland as the last part of this version (it is unfinished but you can explore it after finishing the Cultists Fortress)
- About six hours of content!

Edited by Onox

I just released a hotfix version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kl8uRQtHDnmrqzgB9_taOG6L3d-teMrV/view?usp=sharing

Version 1.3A:

-Golden Chakras can't be resurrected or morphed anymore
-Fixed a strange bug where some villagers and soldiers could disappear after a few minutes
-Lowered the Lime Slimes damage
-Added a new battle music for minor enemy fights (you can hear it during some subquests)
-Some enemies like Crimson Disciples can be resurrected correctly
-Fixed some minor grammar mistakes
-Removed duplicated Zombie Fodder sprites
-Added a new subquest in the Wasteland
-New textures added in the Swamp Temple for more variation
-Removed the teleport ability of the Pyrodemon boss but increased the health from 8000 to 8500 HP
-Liquid surfaces can't spawn Reagents now

As always, thanks for playing, any feedback is appreciated!

Ok, I just finished the castle dungeon playthrou-ing this with the hunter in medium skill. MAN IS IT GOOD! 

The Zelda style dungeons are awesome, you've got some great level design going on. Exploration feels rewarding and the levels are not overly-complex like hexen, so I rarely ever feel like "uh, wth do I need to go?". Also the OST is just great.

This sort of first-person-action-rpg is a niche of mine and you're nailing it. I feel that Wrath of Cronos is waaaay better in this than in OG hexen.

I'll update when I finish the whole thing, maybe do another run with other class. Is there a plan to make a "vaccinated" version of this when you're done? (Like Ashes 2063 does, so you can play the maps with other mods if you want) hexen Walpurgis would ALSO fit this campaign rather well I think, but that's just a dumb suggestion, don't take it as a request or anything UuUr

Super good job! pls keep going with this project! \>w</

On 3/26/2021 at 4:28 AM, Nimlouth said:

Ok, I just finished the castle dungeon playthrou-ing this with the hunter in medium skill. MAN IS IT GOOD! 

The Zelda style dungeons are awesome, you've got some great level design going on. Exploration feels rewarding and the levels are not overly-complex like hexen, so I rarely ever feel like "uh, wth do I need to go?". Also the OST is just great.

This sort of first-person-action-rpg is a niche of mine and you're nailing it. I feel that Wrath of Cronos is waaaay better in this than in OG hexen.

I'll update when I finish the whole thing, maybe do another run with other class. Is there a plan to make a "vaccinated" version of this when you're done? (Like Ashes 2063 does, so you can play the maps with other mods if you want) hexen Walpurgis would ALSO fit this campaign rather well I think, but that's just a dumb suggestion, don't take it as a request or anything UuUr

Super good job! pls keep going with this project! \>w</

Yeah, Wrath of Cronos is very good, but I think original hexen levels (or even when played it with doom/heretic wads) don't do it much justice, since the randomizer for items and monsters can be a bit unfair sometimes, this is always controlled in my mod, where enemies already have a defined spawn.

It is not a priority right now in my plans, but when the mod is completed I want to make a vanilla version without using WoC!

Right now, I'm remaking some old dungeons since they lacked of quality compared to the new ones, I finished the Direwood Castle and I have plans to do the same for the Hidden Basement and the Horror Grotto:

https://imgur.com/a/L7rY93c

I did a few balances here and there, all Gargoyles from the Swamp Temple were replaced by Poison Gargoyles. Rocky Pathway area has Afrit Leaders and Ettin Commanders now instead of Gargoyles and Golems (other creatures likes Satyrs or Nitrogolems were untouched).

I also modified the appearance of Undead knights: Normal ones carry the green axe and the ghost version carries the red one (just a cosmetic change, nothing in the code changed)

Spoiler

imagen.png

Spoiler

imagen.png.0b40daab602d1717ab9ad4395c80ec12.png

Spoiler

imagen.png.fe5bfca9fda5d584813bf719216c5d22.png

Spoiler

imagen.png.c63b17050b031397a9946024dc995fe0.png

I'm also working in a desert crypt for the wasteland that I'm really enjoying to design! It will have a good variety of monsters, including a Sand Stalker variant (and the leader one) coded from scratch for wrath of cronos. z0k is also helping me with the design of some areas!

https://imgur.com/a/qeQkom4

As always, stay tuned for more progress and news!

Edited by Onox