Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Onox

Hexen: Cult of Despair - A "semi-openworld" WoC campaign

1.png.a24b21bdbe6e69cf32ca436139afbcb9.png

Hi all!

I have been working in an Hexen campaign since I discovered the mod Wrath of Cronos, I really love Heretic & Hexen and this mod gave me enough strength and motivation to start my own campaign using this mod. I'm still new in level design terms but I think that I have been improving and learning over time.

What is Wrath of Cronos?: It is an Hexen mod made by Tethis (full compatible with Doom, Heretic and even Strife) which brings rpg elements, new weapons, 5 playable classes and new monsters.

What brings this campaign?: Cult of Despair is a campaign exclusive for WoC although I have plans to make a full vanilla version in the distant future. The game configuration is made in Hexen UDMF to take advantage of the Doom 64 light system and the alignment of floor textures. It uses a lot of scripts for the spawn system of enemies and items, so for example, you will never see the most dangerous Ettin variant called Bormereth in the first hours of the game or a Merchant in a weird place (because it sometimes replaces the Boots of Speed and the Chaos Device). I have added new props for ambience purposes such as more tree variants, corpses or custom textures.

But what would be a "semi-openworld" without npcs? Yes, you will see and meet characters (and friendly animals!) during your adventure, it adds some immersion to feel that you aren't the only sane human in this dark world, they will sometimes say useful information, tips or even where you must go in your quest (don't worry, I don't want there to be "Where do I go?" moments, all puzzles are very intuitive and your next objetives are clear.

The lore of Cult of Despair is about a large group of cultists (corrupted people by arcane forces) who are using the temples to summon a legion of Void monsters to Spaurus; the land where my mod takes place, but over time you will discover something much worse in their plans... Something related with a trio of old enemies that once they ruled three worlds and were defeated by different heroes... You are aware of the bad news about this so you start your adventure to stop those rituals, along the way, some cultists attack you and you are rescued by some villagers waking up in a house.

Some basic info:

Game: Hexen

Format: Gzdoom 3.3.0 or Gzdoom 3.4.0 (sadly, Wrath of Cronos is not compatible with the latest gzdoom versions)

What mods you need to run it: wrathofcronosv2.2.pk3

Designed with jump and crouch moments, also freelook

Approximate play length (first beta): 2 hours

Everyone loves images:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_160436.png.42a639b45a73d24ab4b6953f5c5709e6.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_161217.png.9d5cb0695ec97cdcefe5bd2943d2d670.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_161144.png.8d38bd7eeacae930f63be429725afc87.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_160900.png.72e72c100a7efbf6a41be5d15346f1b1.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_161035.png.a0a9b0a92f305faff370f841b236e540.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_160546.png.c4f23bfa12c8f96aa53cc40278e48704.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190906_165650.png.b99d4ecfcb91e72f44163feb7227f2e3.png

Special thanks to:

z0k - Mapping some areas, specially Map01
phobosdm256 - Some extra help and tips
Tethis - For making WoC
Realm667 - Sprites and textures
Not Jabba - Some extra textures
129thVisplane - Some extra textures
Ichor - Some extra textures
Mehnrues - Some sprites I took from his Empire Revolt mod

Nintendo and From Software for the musics that I used in my maps (Zelda and Dark Souls)

Downloads:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eq1glexirbtKT5L2MCiTLE0K9sAIn8lM

This beta brings the next levels:

Map01 = Overworld, it can be considered the hub of the first part of the game

Map02 = Direwood Castle, the first temple

Map03 = Underground Caves, heavily inspired in the hidden grottos of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, most of them are optional places with good rewards by exploring

Map04 = The Swamp, a huge swamp with interesting places to explore and a manor.

Map05 = Hidden Basement, what kind of secret place is this?

Map06 = Swamp Temple, the second temple

Map07 = The Graveyard, an optional area to explore, not recommended for low level players!

Map08 = A Merchant cave

Map09 = Unfinished village (you can't visit it in this build anyway)

Map10 = The village where you start the game

Thanks for reading and I really hope you enjoy it!

If you have some questions or if I forgot some important information please tell me.

By the way, the beta finishes after you find the Flame Mask and open this wall:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20190930_181849.png.977d804bb2a8e0bdb8765795d41ebe1b.png

Edited by Onox

Hi again, after almost a month I finished what I promised! The first beta of my mod is now public.

Have fun and tell me if you found bugs or something I should improve.

It doesn't work for me (even when trying it in GZDoom 3.4.0 rather than the latest version).  I get "Invalid parameter a_sorcspinballs" relating to line 407 in the file "hexnmash.txt" in the pk3.

Cult of Despair must be loaded after WoC V2.2 in the autoload. I have checked both versions and it works for me.

I noticed that in the boss arenas, pretty much all of the supplies are stored in pots. So you need to actively break them to get more mana/health. And they're also often placed on ledges you have to jump up to to actually reach. This may sound like a small thing, but it's annoying to have to do that while you're being chased by the relentless bosses. It would be nice if there was simply mana & health sitting around for you to walk into.

12 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I noticed that in the boss arenas, pretty much all of the supplies are stored in pots. So you need to actively break them to get more mana/health. And they're also often placed on ledges you have to jump up to to actually reach. This may sound like a small thing, but it's annoying to have to do that while you're being chased by the relentless bosses. It would be nice if there was simply mana & health sitting around for you to walk into.

I take note of that! I'm still doing some changes in the dungeons (specially more decorations and variations in the textures) and this type of feedback is really important for me!

I have plans to change the second boss arena too, nerf the Dark Patriarch battle (I noticed that it was a difficulty spike for some people) and making the wyverns appearing from statues instead of just a wall.

Also I have started to do an optional mini-dungeon in the swamp, do you remember that empty area in the corner of the huge swamp? Now do you have a motive to visit it if you want a challenge.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191003_123750.png.cb5fbebd972ef6b7ed2ce4eb5bdd897f.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191003_123813.png.7bf2d8ef60fc49cc160961cb461b2ea3.png

Edited by Onox

Goes without saying, but in one of your promo screenshots, an Umaoi statue is also named the "Umaio Statue."

Originally I'd typed that as "Unmaoi/Unmaio." Kind of a pity it's not actually that, as ironically, "Unmei" (運命, うんめい) is the Japanese word for fate/destiny.

46 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Goes without saying, but in one of your promo screenshots, an Umaoi statue is also named the "Umaio Statue."

Originally I'd typed that as "Unmaoi/Unmaio." Kind of a pity it's not actually that, as ironically, "Unmei" (運命, うんめい) is the Japanese word for fate/destiny.

That grammar mistake was fixed in this currently version, I just chose a random name for those statues (their support roles are based on the Sheikah Stones from the Zelda franchise).

Really? That sounds very cool, I could change the name then, thanks for the idea.

it's been a while but I have been working this month a lot, the next update will bring two optional dungeons to explore, a new village, a lot of new details added into the old levels and some rooms in the dungeons have been slightly changed.

I also added the Strife dialogue, it is really useful for the vision about what I want with my mod.

I don't know when the next update will be available, but I hope to have it ready in two weeks more or less.

And of course, new images:

Spoiler

1.png.66ad35f818fd10d397d1208a9ff0c442.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191118_202623.png.9f0bdee018eab0d11ce5a02027eb9e1c.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191118_202323.png.acbb3a6d5933549bac42641e9eeb1236.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Hexen_20191118_202202.png.45816ff53748c404992c533a337cb469.png