Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meapineapple

Saltwater: A single-map Boom WAD

Is this compatible with gzd? I just played through it and was able to access the exit after about 10 or so minutes and 17% kills. Is the button that lowers down the red pillars and gives you access to shotgun shells and such also supposed to open the pillars at the exit room? That's what happened. Maybe because of gzd? If so, I'll have to download Boom. Really liked what I played of it. 

52 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

Is this compatible with gzd? I just played through it and was able to access the exit after about 10 or so minutes and 17% kills. Is the button that lowers down the red pillars and gives you access to shotgun shells and such also supposed to open the pillars at the exit room? That's what happened. Maybe because of gzd? If so, I'll have to download Boom. Really liked what I played of it. 

Hm, I guess I need to test things more thoroughly before posting them. I broke a lot of teleport closets by mistake as I was cleaning things up for the release, and never noticed the issue. I've updated the download link in the original post. For posterity, here is the broken first release that I just replaced: saltwatr.2019.09.07.bad.zip

Thank you for playing @kknot5889 and I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite the issue. I encourage you to give it another go!

Played through on UV and thought it was quite a challenge until I started finding secrets. The rocket launcher and minigun obliterate any challenge present, now I am not saying to remove them as I feel it is the only way to deal with all the hordes of enemies that will be revived by the Arch-Viles. Finding the secrets is not the most intuitive thing in this level due to the lack of any indication that a wall can be activated. Overall I enjoyed what you made especially, with the simple but gorgeous texture use.

What did my eyeballs just see? This map is visually impressive, wow. The structure of the building is stunning and detailed, extensive use of shadow makes me very jumpy, and it is fun to explore all the nooks and crannies. My only gripe is about the Archviles - horrible horrible things that annihilate my soul and burn my flesh. Otherwise I loved it!

The texture scheme and atmosphere are just gorgeous and pretty unique, though to my tastes there are a few too many seagulls present in the audio track - I found the rhythm of the waves pleasant, the incessant cries of the gulls less so, especially when trying to sort out significant other noises (e.g. an arch-vile on the prowl, undoing all my hard work) from the cacophany.

I do like the "extra lap" setup of the alternate exit, with very little that compels you to seek it out save completionism and the satisfaction of finishing things up back where you started, by your cottage and its adjacent lighthouse, instead of in the depths of the distant seashore base.

The exit bars are still tagged with tag 6 in the newest version. Moreover, I cannot find any other way to progress, even looking briefly in Doom Builder. Is most of the map secret/optional? I've now done two runs with commentary and running around in confusion; neither approaches 20 minutes.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Is most of the map secret/optional?

Yep. See TheOrganGrinder's earlier reply?

Spoiler:

Spoiler

There are two shoot switches you need to find to see the true ending. One is through a window in a room with a rev, one is in the "exit" room.

Okay, well, you never actually answered kknot5889's question, but implied "no," when it is in fact "yes." More importantly, I suggest you change "length: 20-30 minutes," as you can easily exit in 10 without rushing. Your par is 8:00.

Okay, further thoughts here...

I think the use of large exit signs (48 units or three lines of text high, on both sides of the "bad" exit switch) over-emphasise this switch when not a lot of attention has been called to the "good" exit switch on the small island adjacent to the lighthouse and cottage, way back at the start of the map.  You've made this bonus objective clear in the level description ("Can you find your way back home?") but it's easy to lose track of it or to lack a sense of your progress toward it while playing the level itself - I don't know that there's anything within the fabric of the level that makes it clear that this is an additional objective or the "good" exit that the player is supposed to strive toward.  I'm playing in ZDoom using an automap configuration that highlights exit linedefs, but without that I wouldn't know what that particular switch did or why (or even if) it was important.

I also found that between the distance involved and the placement of the horizontal bars in the railing texture you've chosen to surround the sea fortress, it's actually quite tricky to notice that the pillars providing a bridge from the lighthouse island to the adjacent islet with the "good" exit switch have risen - given that this is activated by a walkover linedef, the player is probably going to be quite unaware of changes taking place back toward the start of the level.

I think the story that you're trying to tell here would be communicated more clearly within the gameplay of the level itself if you were to de-emphasise the "bad" exit visually, place additional guidance toward or emphasis upon the "good" exit, and rethink the way in which the player raises the pillars that grand access to the latter exit - maybe a switch located at the end of a peninsula, pier, or walkway extending from the north-west corner of the sea fortress, so that the player should be looking in the proper direction to see the pillars rising?