Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FanTazTiCxD

You have 30 minutes to make a map - post your results!

Your map looks cool! Anyway, some questions:

More than 1 map is allowed?

There's some kind of hard deadline for posting maps, over the 30 minutes to make it?

New graphics, sound or music are allowed?

What kind of port are you looking for our works? Vanilla, limit-removing, boom, zdoom?

Good luck with the challenge, I probably do something for the challenge this evening...

46 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Your map looks cool! Anyway, some questions:

More than 1 map is allowed?

There's some kind of hard deadline for posting maps, over the 30 minutes to make it?

New graphics, sound or music are allowed?

What kind of port are you looking for our works? Vanilla, limit-removing, boom, zdoom?

Good luck with the challenge, I probably do something for the challenge this evening...

More than 1 map is allowed, but I wouldn't recommend it, as 30 minute is a very short timespan for one map already! But you're welcome to try ;D

I don't get your second question. But if you're wondering, no more than 30 minutes is allowed. If it takes you 32 minutes to make, it's 2 minutes too much ;) You must time your mapping well!

Yes, any graphics, sounds and music are allowed, and any port is fine

here's my map

Screenshot_Doom_20190908_174723.png.5ea8f319a606d0895fb05025399e644b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190908_174747.png.670a04b15a803b82739c0c70360e8f75.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190908_174836.png.bfaf02bfbd32314d3c78d18aa7f4df42.png

download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0wdop7rplzj1vkl/30minmap.wad/file

So in 30 minutes i made a very linear map with an outside, cave and a techbase area, the only room with some detail is the starting area, where the player is

standing in a room with a nonfunctioning teleporter, some computers and health bonuses. Building the map was pretty fun, especially when 1 minute was left

and i was in a rush to quickly make an exit room.

Tried. And failed. Didn't even get any monsters in my level and missing textures everywhere :( But hey, it was a fun exercise nonetheless. Hell, I might even have learned a thing or two. Respect to @cambreaKer and @FanTazTiCxD for having completed the goal!

wBSIV4b.jpg

noisy30mins.zip

I didn't read the instructions in OP, exactly.  I set a timer for 30 mins and started mapping, then when the timer went off, i haphazardly threw an exit in, tested it, fixed the line triggers that weren't working, and may have snuck in a berserk pack and several specters to spice the map slightly (worth it tho).

It's probably more like a 45 min map tbh.

I decided to give it a try. Stopped the timer after exactly 30 minutes, I was placing enemies in the last 2 minutes or even less so monster placement is unfortunately chaotic, I think the map is pretty shit but well, I made it, it was actually my first time speedmapping, so well...

Attached a screenshot and zip file with the map.

jac30min.jpg

jac30min.zip

Things placement pretty sucks, also there's no health at all here so be careful!

gjZcl8Y.png

fChbJER.png

30min.zip

New graphics: gloom texture pack by rick clark, the sky texture author is unknown, at least for me.

New music: Frank Zappa - Peaches en Regalia midi, composer unknown

Also broke the limit of... 2 minute from the 30 minutes for fixing some sector height and a wrong line usage after i was testing the map the first time

Decided to throw my hat into the ring and make a map myself. I'm actually quite a slow mapper since I usually like to test most changes that I make but since I had only 30 minutes I basically only tested a handful of times. HOPEFULLY everything works! I have successfully done a run on UV so you can at least exit the map.

The map is somewhat industrial in theme (though as I only had 30 minutes it really doesn't look like it) and is fairly easy.

TESTED WITH CHOCOLATE DOOM - MAP SLOT 01 (MAP01) DooM II (obviously).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r6aatelasfekco9/30MINDynamite.zip/file

Screensies: :3

30min_01.png.ee42cb8710112ab53cc4854d98bc3c3b.png

30min_02.png.96fd19baf9af243ca2d16148b09335ba.png

@Walter confetti Wow! That's a really good map! I managed to get through it in one run and I do love the added textures. <3 The use of the SS soldiers actually felt like they're meant to be there, as sort of army soldiers that haven't fully been corrupted by hell. Also, I noticed one of the lifts is missing a texture when you lower it.

Thanks! And, yeah, i am aware of that missing texture too...

Played all the maps made so far (including DynamiteKaitron map that comes out) and i must say you all made a pretty great job for 30 minutes map! Best of the bunch are Kristian Nebula and rdwpa map (even if this last one is way too hard), other people maps are pretty cool and fun too!

Didn't find any game-breaking bug in the maps, played all on prboom and gzdoom

I played @DynamiteKaitorn's map. Short but sweet, and that seems to be the only way to do it. A bit easy, but there's ab-so-lutely no time to balance these.

My second attempt (looks a little nicer than the first, is less stupid): http://www.mediafire.com/file/uzrq9pkd0nxhnz8/30minMAP10.wad/file

First attempt (whut) : http://www.mediafire.com/file/9w2q320gm7pilrt/whew30min.wad/file

Haven't checked out the others yet, but 30 minutes is an insane time to make a map. Anything that's even functional is impressive.

Oh, first download is map10, 2nd is map11.

Just to avoid D_RUNNIN

edit: forgot a screenshot

temp.png

Edited by Revae

1 hour ago, cambreaKer said:

Are those VAC crates?

Yes... I didn't even noticed it!

Looks like the author taking the Latin alphabet for writing UAC, I guess lol

(In ancient Rome the U is changed with V, actually)

Damn. As someone who spends easily 30min just staring at a blank wall props to everyone who can make something even remotely playable in this time frame!

Quick tech... That was the name. Doesn't evoke much tech at all, though, does it?doom00.png.434b58a1d0a237653b9993ef2954537c.png

doom01.png.1cfb6dfd57b405f4ee713efa87eb0cbc.png

I made the map in less than 30 minutes. I don't exactly know how much since I used a half-hour hourglass for this, and lost some time to something unexpected. The sky comes from box O skies, and I put it in the wad before I even started mapping.

The map is for boom-compatible source ports. Here's a download link!

In regards to Base Of Dang, I like the pinky trap a lot. It punishes you somewhat for rushing through without a care thanks to the darkness, and the monsters that appear in your way after that also help with making rushing through somewhat difficult. That hell knight at the end could somewhat easily be run past, although it can be risky with their damage output.

Wow, you guys have really been posting a lot of maps! I am stunned! I better go try some of them and give some feedback!

@pcorf Just tried your map. It's interesting how you can either focus on making as lot as possible and do maybe 4-5-6 rooms. Or you can make only two rooms, like you did, and put more details into it. I really liked it! I think these small challenges from a map like yours are underrated. A map with only two main rooms can be fun too! Nice work on the light, and the demon-textures in the demon room too!

@Kristian Nebula Hehe, nice and easy map! Finished it in 30 seconds or so ;D The megaspeare helped me a lot. I just went directly to the rocket-platform, and even though the enemies were attacking me, I had plenty of health to shoot those two rockets into John Romero and win the level. I even had above 100 health when I finished. So I tried again with IDDQD to explore the map a little more. Not much to see. But definitely a nice little map!

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

Demon textures? What are you referring to with that? I don't think I put any specifically demonic textures anywhere except maybe the teleporter exit...

Oh... I tagged the wrong user! I meant to comment on pcorf's map! Ah, I better go try yours too xD

@Alper002 So I tried it. It gave me more of a challenge than some of the other maps. I also ran out of ammo at the end, and was pretty screwed with the mancubusses. So I ran towards the teleport, and... won! So I was lucky there ;P

Ps. did any of you try my map?

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

33 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Ps. did any of you try my map?

I did. Every weapon appearing in a relatively small map leads to lots of interesting possibilities. For example in the first ever playthrough I dropped off without grabbing the SSG but that didn't affect anything. 

Here's a demo of me messing around. 30m_fan_cmax.zip

Wow, rd's map looks really cool. I'll definitely try it when I get off work. Then, pcrof, Walter and NoisyVelvet's maps look appealing to me. 

Sorry for using the thread for other purposes. @Alper002I wonder whether you actually take other people's time seriously. You sent me a DM about testing your map. Yeah I was busy at the moment and didn't reply to you. However, when I actually tested the map and wrote a thing to reply. You don't seem to care, so oh well. Now I have to be cautious about some random people asking me to do something.

I feel so stupid and guilty for not having said anything in response to that message. I could've done much better, sorry...

I should've said something, but I didn't. You're completely in the right about that, my bad. The feedback was appreciated, but I should've actually said something, but like the absolute idiot I am I say nothing and then forget about it. After getting the feedback I started getting bored of making the map, which resulted in me forgetting the project in the first place.

45 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Here's a demo of me messing around. 30m_fan_cmax.zip

Oh no, I drag your demo to gzdoom.exe and it says "cannot play non-gzdoom demos". I don't have any other .exe files for doom. Which one should I use, and where can I download? Or can you maybe help me convert it to a gzdoom demo, if possible?

By the way, there's no crime in posting in this thread without coming up with a map yourself. Commenting on other people's maps is just as good! :-)