Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FanTazTiCxD

You have 30 minutes to make a map - post your results!

@Scypek2

About the spectre swarm. You can fight them in several ways: Berserk beatings; weapons; or just dodging them by running around. The ammo is for your convenience, but you can just beat them with your bare hands. Rip and tear until it's done!

BTW, I also tried a different map for this contest before, but failed even more miserably at keeping up with the 30 min requirement. The map is a Wolfenstein-ish maze with a similar blue theme. Though it took me less than half an hour to built the basic structure, I'm still not finished with optimizing the monster placement after several hours spent. I'm going to publish it normally, not in this thread. Now I want to play the other contestants' maps.

Alright, here's my own map!

CrimsonmostAbyssloughE4M1.png.47e19f65c6c802dbac8f19cd11c0f61a.png

This one might be more chill than the others posted, without a ton of high tier enemies but not much health either. (Except for a megaarmor and soulsphere on lower difficulty levels) It's also a Doom 1 map, in the E4M1 slot.

True to myself, I spent at least 15 minutes putting together some vanilla gimmicks such as a weird lost soul powered locked door that opens from top to bottom, and a conditional walkover trigger that only works after pressing two switches.

Also attached is a demo of my own playthrough on UV.

CrimsonmostAbysslough.zip

3 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Alright, here's my own map!

CrimsonmostAbyssloughE4M1.png.47e19f65c6c802dbac8f19cd11c0f61a.png

This one might be more chill than the others posted, without a ton of high tier enemies but not much health either. (Except for a megaarmor and soulsphere on lower difficulty levels) It's also a Doom 1 map, in the E4M1 slot.

True to myself, I spent at least 15 minutes putting together some vanilla gimmicks such as a weird lost soul powered locked door that opens from top to bottom, and a conditional walkover trigger that only works after pressing two switches.

Also attached is a demo of my own playthrough on UV.

CrimsonmostAbysslough.zip

Wow nice one! Here's a demo of me playing it

stearinlys.rar

15 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Wow nice one! Here's a demo of me playing it

stearinlys.rar

Thanks! I don't think I'll watch your demo though. I tried playing it back with ZDoom and QZDoom, but it doesn't even start on the correct map in those. I guess I would have to use the latest GZDoom version, whatever that is? I never use GZDoom, because it takes ages to load (or at least 10 seconds, but I much prefer it near-instant...). *Zdoom demo compatibility is super volatile, so if you want to record playthroughs of people's levels you'd be much better off using a port like PrBoom (or even Chocolate for vanilla levels like mine).

Alternatively, if you don't feel like getting used to a whole new port (and I know that feeling...), maybe you could record your demos with the final release of the non-G Zdoom. It's got all the zdoomy features, and it no longer updated so there would be no compatibility issues.

A lot of you are making amazingly well done maps with even extra touches like lighting in under an hour, I would struggle to make a basic small short 3 map room in under an hour lol

Alright, so this map took me 29 minutes to make

It's an alternative kind of style that I often do when I just feel like having fun and messing around in doom builder. Kind of a puzzle, rather than a normal map. You have to use specific techniques to win. 

First you have to get help from the arachnotrons to kill the spider mastermind. 

Then you have to run towards the arachnotrons without being struck, until you get teleported to another room (It is VERY IMPORTANT not to move your mouse/player at all after teleporting!)

Run forward without turning or anything. ONLY forward. You'll grab the plasma gun. Now while running forward, hold down the fire button, right until you see a little red square on the floor, then you have to let go of the fire button. Next... you have a nice oddly satisfying surprise waiting for you. Just have patience ;-)

1.png

2.png

3.png

challenge.rar

40 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Alright, so this map took me 29 minutes to make

It's an alternative kind of style that I often do when I just feel like having fun and messing around in doom builder. Kind of a puzzle, rather than a normal map. You have to use specific techniques to win. 

First you have to get help from the arachnotrons to kill the spider mastermind. 

Then you have to run towards the arachnotrons without being struck, until you get teleported to another room (It is VERY IMPORTANT not to move your mouse/player at all after teleporting!)

Run forward without turning or anything. ONLY forward. You'll grab the plasma gun. Now while running forward, hold down the fire button, right until you see a little red square on the floor, then you have to let go of the fire button. Next... you have a nice oddly satisfying surprise waiting for you. Just have patience ;-)

1.png

2.png

3.png

challenge.rar

Pretty cool ideas in this short map :) here is my demo (I'm using gzdoom version g4.1.3. btw no idea if it'd work in newer gzdooms)

FanTazTiCxD.rar

here is my contribution to this challenge! its very short and not very good and I had to scramble to make a functional map and its not even 1/8th as detailed or big or long or complex as everyone elses cause I work slow I guess but anyway here you go!

Zdoom in UDMF format

Doom 2 iwad

map 01

WB30MinChallenge.rar

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.09.13 - 06.08.09.36.png

@Spectre01

You map is intense, requiring several attempts to be beaten, but I managed to clear it after some 15-20 attempts. I got stuck afterwards, though, since there is nothing happening after you clear the area.

So, what is supposed to happen after you clear the area from monsters and push the switches at the end of each of the three corridors?

In GZDB, all I can see is that three tiny sectors in a tiny hidden room with a player start are raised by those switches, nothing that would somehow make sense.

37 minutes ago, WolfBlue said:

Pretty cool ideas in this short map :) here is my demo (I'm using gzdoom version g4.1.3. btw no idea if it'd work in newer gzdooms)

FanTazTiCxD.rar

Nice to watch you play my demo! But you missed an important part of the gameplay! You were supposed to shoot the plasma rifle while running down the long hall until you'd be teleported up ahead, to see all your plasma-balls hit the zombiemen. That's why you were not supposed to turn or move your crosshair after teleporting

9 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Nice to watch you play my demo! But you missed an important part of the gameplay! You were supposed to shoot the plasma rifle while running down the long hall until you'd be teleported up ahead, to see all your plasma-balls hit the zombiemen. That's why you were not supposed to turn or move your crosshair after teleporting

Oh shiz! sorry man didnt realise guess I didnt read your post fully

18 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

After being stuck in mapping Hell for a while, I've finally forced myself to release something. The layout and gameplay was done is just over 30 minutes with a bit of extra time on lighting and making sure textures are aligned. Straightforward arena fight. Enjoy!

Title: 30 Minutes of Flesh

Format: Boom

Author: Spectre01

Misc. Author Info: Hasn't finished a map in over a year.

Description: Short and punchy BFG romp in a Fleshtech Hell setting with some classic "slaughter 101" gameplay. Takes me over 2 minutes to casually clear and resources shouldn't be an issue.

Midi: War 2, Storm from Serious Sam 3

Download: 30MinutesOfFlesh_S01.zip

bab2pwX.png

Me3D6Ex.png

Cool map. 'Casual max' (one of the 'lightly routed first-exit maxrun' types): 30m_spec_cmax.zip

So guys, this is a puzzle with only one solution! (read the conditions too before playing!) I made this in 30 minutes, then I tested it, and spent around 15 minutes correcting mistakes and doing the finishing touches to the challenge. You have to find a way to finish this map, and use your logic. You have 8 rockets... and a mystery to solve... Can you make it?

Send me your demo, and make sure you record from the moment you first enter my map, so I can see how many tries it took you! Good luck ;-)

Conditions: 

1. Must be played on Hurt me Plenty difficulty

2. You must kill all monsters before exiting the level

3. You are only allowed to fire one bullet from your pistol

4. Use of fist is not allowed

5. Monster in-fight is not allowed

image.png.c108d3bcb0308535bb2992eeef1299dc.png

8 rockets.rar

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

26 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Conditions: 

1. Must be played on Hurt me Plenty difficulty

2. You must kill all monsters before exiting the level

3. You are only allowed to fire one bullet from your pistol

4. Use of fist is not allowed

5. Monster in-fight is not allowed

I'm gonna try this in PrBoom+. Which complevel should I use?

3 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

Do you even know what a complevel is?

No, I was assuming it was the level my map replaced xD So I took the chance and went with that. I confess that :P What's a complevel?

From what I have just read, I am still a bit confused, but I didn't use any advanced effects or anything. It works fine with gzdoom, and I am sure it also does with prdoom if you give it a try. There should be no issues

@FanTazTiCxD

Your map doesn't work with vanilla at all and has a serious bug in PrBoom+, but it works correctly in GZDoom.

In PrBoom+, when you fire the one bullet allowed, GZDoom will set you free while PrBoom+ will do the opposite. You should have clearly stated that the map is meant to be played with GZDoom.

@Get Phobo

There is a voodoo doll conveyor and each of the 3 switches opens one door in it. After all switches are flipped the doll moves over a line which lowers the central pillar with the Vile faces (and some Viles). It also exposes another pillar with an exit pad. Which port and settings did you use where hitting all switches didn't work?

There is no conveyor. In fact, it's just the two camera objects that will crash vanilla while PrBoom+ remains unaffected. The actual bug is linedef/sector-related, and vanilla and compatible ports suffer from it. The used linedef type 46 seems to work differently between ports.

Attached is my modified, vanilla-compatible, version of the map with a demo showing the bug. Normally, the first pistol shot should raise the wall.

GP8ROCK2.ZIP

Erm, sorry, yes, I confused your map and FanTazTiCxD's latest map now.

I was playing your map in Crispy Doom. I guess, it doesn't support voodoo dolls. You should have stated the obvious minimum requirement.

1 hour ago, Get Phobo said:

You should have stated the obvious minimum requirement.

22 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Format: Boom

I did state that it's in Boom format. Considering how popular Boom maps are on DW, I assumed people knew which ports to use. Crispy is only vanilla and limit-removing. 

4 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I did state that it's in Boom format. Considering how popular Boom maps are on DW, I assumed people knew which ports to use. Crispy is only vanilla and limit-removing. 

Sorry, my bad then.

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Cool map. 'Casual max' (one of the 'lightly routed first-exit maxrun' types): 30m_spec_cmax.zip

Nice! Very impressive compared to my casual attempt and nearly a minute faster: (cl -1) 30min-S01-UVmax-224.zip

He's a sloppy Joe max for your map: 30rd-S01-UVmax-250.zip

Cool mini-city and I dig the pain sectors and radsuit management. Made a jump into that cell secret and got stuck without realizing the intended way was to shoot a nearby switch. Much more manageable when you discover that Cyber can be telefragged. :P

Edited by Spectre01