Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FanTazTiCxD

You have 30 minutes to make a map - post your results!

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, FoxPlays said:

Nice challenge! :D
Made a map in 29 minutes and 24 seconds. Sorry for some black screen moments in the mapping video. :P
Download: 30MINS.zip

Video:


Screenshots:

  Hide contents


image.png
image.png
image.png

 

 

Wow, dude that's impressive! I love how you posted a gameplay video. Usually (at least for me) I am too lazy to start downloading and trying the maps, so watching a gameplay video, worked really well for me!

Share this post


Link to post

As usual, I made the design of the map in around 30 minutes, but then I spent at least 30 minutes more testing... changing things up and such... But here's another one from me! "Icon of Data" Techbase version of Icon of Sin

John Romero is not an evil demon anymore... He is an evil computer. "retupmoc siht toohs tsum uoy emag siht niw oT"

 

Good luck. This one is VERY difficult! You have to have some serious aiming skills. If you fall off the platform without shooting two successful rockets at once, you are almost certain to die the second time you try. It took me a long time to finish my own level, but I eventually managed to. 

 

I hope someone will try this, and record a demo of their attempt!

image.png.9e06e6a2ca9178dc845f8d043fefe897.png

image.png.51f148e719789338b39f6cea699fd917.png

Icon of Data.rar

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Another suggestion:

How about we gather all these contributions into a Megawad with 31 levels? Anyone up for this idea?

 

Sure, go ahead. How many we've got so far? We are really at 31 maps? Great!

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

 

Sure, go ahead. How many we've got so far? We are really at 31 maps? Great!

We could have multiple mega wads, like doom world 30 minute challenge collab volume 1, 2, 3 etc

Share this post


Link to post

What about the different mapping formats? I guess it can be sorted like previous DMPs starting with vanilla > limit-removing > Boom > UDMF or split into separate wads.

Share this post


Link to post

I am happy this project exists. It's important we all produce and create something and 30 minutes is just the right amount of time to see just how much you can fit into 30 minutes without killing yourself for 24 - 48 hour .wad jams.

 

From a casual player unable to devote hours to Doomplay, since these are bite size, I look forward to playing them all.

 

To show how lazy I am, is there any discussion or thought about dumping these into a mega wad for the sake of easy to play? I see there are different source ports, so that might make it a bit tough.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, WolfBlue said:

We could have multiple mega wads, like doom world 30 minute challenge collab volume 1, 2, 3 etc

Might be worth breaking up the wads by those that were under 30 minutes and those that were over.

Either way.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Another suggestion:

How about we gather all these contributions into a Megawad with 31 levels? Anyone up for this idea?

Yeah, but the maps will need some balancing, because some are super easy while others, containing hordes of tough monsters, are almost unplayable.

 

Also, almost all maps lack difficulty settings. These should be added as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Editing the maps after the fact sorta defeats he purpose imo, but whatever you guys wanna do.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

while others, containing hordes of tough monsters, are almost unplayable.

 

Haven't met an 'unplayable' map yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Revae said:

Editing the maps after the fact sorta defeats he purpose imo, but whatever you guys wanna do.

Yeah, but if you just put some maps together in a completely random fashion, it won't be any good.

 

A continuous playthrough might even become impossible because of different source port features present in some of the maps. They all seem to run in GZDoom, but I think they should be playable with other popular ports as well. So, a lot of streamlining would be necessary to allow any map to be played in PrBoom+ and some other non-ZDoom ports.

 

1 minute ago, rdwpa said:

 

Haven't met an 'unplayable' map yet. 

Yeah, unplayable outside of GZDoom--even though no actual GZDoom features were used and the map could be easily made vanilla-compatible, the way I have demonstrated with my "8 rockets" edit.

Share this post


Link to post

@Get Phobo Which is why I suggested sorting the maps from simplest (vanilla) to most advanced (udmf/GZDoom). This makes it simple to play up to X map using a classic port and everything with GZDoom. This has been successfully done before in dmp2016/2017, so it's not some wild new concept. And obviously it would not be intended for continuous play, like most casual community projects where maps are made independently.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

[Icon of Data]

I didn't find a rocket launcher, nor did I find a way to get high enough to shoot at Romero.

 

 

On a whim, I decided to make a map. The shortest time constraint I've ever attempted to map within has been probably six weeks. This time I decided to go all in on speedmapping. I did absolutely nothing before or after the 30 minutes except have my computer play a random song and that's what I named the map after. It is absolutely horrible and so short it barely exists. But doggone it, I did it!

 

Here's a demo:

Spoiler

 

 

Here's the .wad

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I didn't find a rocket launcher, nor did I find a way to get high enough to shoot at Romero.

 

[Posted own wad]

Your wad is not horrible in my opinion, considering you had only 30 minutes to make it. The standards are different within that time... The idea was cool, and the design was nice too. Maybe a little health would improve it... But apart from that, the only way to improve it, would be breaking the 30 minutes time-span, by adding more rooms, details, and light adjustments, so...

 

About my map "Icon of Data", you need to investigate the map a little more before concluding it to be unbeatable :P The edges were lifts, and on the ground outside, you'd find ammo, health and a button to press that lowers the platform in the middle, with a rocket launcher on. Try again, and see for yourself! (Maybe record a demo?) :-)

Share this post


Link to post

Well this was a rather fun lil thing to try out, managed to make a map just under the time limit, albeit it's rather short.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

SkjEK8W.png

 

gFUcE0j.png

 

wekXo0W.png

 

It's been tested in both prboom+ and Gzdoom.

30minthing.wad

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

Did anyone actually use UDMF for their map? I haven't managed to test all of them yet.

mine was UDMF

Share this post


Link to post

Heres my 2nd go and its probably better than my first attempt but still pretty bad lol

 

- 29 minutes to make not including playtesting

- iwad is doom 2 map is 01

- format is doom 2 for simplicity

 

WB30min2.rar

Share this post


Link to post

Nice map, wolfblue! pretty basic but fun to play!

 

Also another one of half-broken map that i tought to finish it in 30 minutes and then...

 

 

7-18-d2-q1.zip

 

Title: Quake Simple

Build time: A freaking hour, damn

Port: Boom

Description: Because you all wanted wanted another MAP07 clone, aren't you? Also for spicing things up, it is also mash up with quake E1M8. Tried to add a McGee style for the map too...

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/17/2019 at 7:32 AM, FanTazTiCxD said:

As usual, I made the design of the map in around 30 minutes, but then I spent at least 30 minutes more testing... changing things up and such... But here's another one from me! "Icon of Data" Techbase version of Icon of Sin

John Romero is not an evil demon anymore... He is an evil computer. "retupmoc siht toohs tsum uoy emag siht niw oT"

 

Good luck. This one is VERY difficult! You have to have some serious aiming skills. If you fall off the platform without shooting two successful rockets at once, you are almost certain to die the second time you try. It took me a long time to finish my own level, but I eventually managed to. 

 

I hope someone will try this, and record a demo of their attempt!

image.png.9e06e6a2ca9178dc845f8d043fefe897.png

image.png.51f148e719789338b39f6cea699fd917.png

Icon of Data.rar

This map is pretty cool I like the texture work, I'm assuming you're not allowed to mlook lol anyway heres my demo (Gzdoom)

IconOfDataWB.rar

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×