Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
famicommander

Doom: Slayer Edition for Atari Jaguar

Note: this is not my project and I had nothing to do with any of the work involved with it. I'm just passing along information.

Anyway, some guys on Atari Age have been working on improving the already solid port of Doom on Atari Jaguar. Some of the progress so far:

-music in stages restored

-Spider Mastermind and E3M8 added back into the game

-Spectres added back into the game

-Support for the pro controller which means shoulder button strafing 

-Cheat menu added

And more.

The topic is here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/295643-doom-slayer-edition/

Still a work in progress.

Now the music I'm interested in. I'd heard that the Jaguar's DSP doesn't have enough power to both run music and do the 3D calculations in the game sim.

How'd that get managed?

19 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Now the music I'm interested in. I'd heard that the Jaguar's DSP doesn't have enough power to both run music and do the 3D calculations in the game sim.

How'd that get managed?

I don't know the how, but there are demonstration videos in the link above and further links to the development threads if you want to get into it. 

I think it's just a matter of them having much more time than was available to id when they did the original port.

57 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I don't know the how, but there are demonstration videos in the link above and further links to the development threads if you want to get into it. 

I think it's just a matter of them having much more time than was available to id when they did the original port.

It's possible that the luxury of infinite time means they discovered more efficient ways to do it compared to the id original, sure.

I'd still love a technical breakdown of just how they managed it though.

They're pretty approachable guys and it's possible your questions have already been answered in the links and videos in the Atari Age thread.

2 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Didn't see the video yet. Is d_e1m1 still a quackfest or were the samples replaced?

80280-quackshot-starring-donald-duck-gen

It is, however, impressive as to how they got it running in a technical sense. Essentially found a way to free up a secondary sound buffer, fed the music to one and the SFX to another.

Seeing stuff like this gives me a little hope that GEC can eventually re-add some content into PSX Doom and/or Doom 64, too. :) 

This is what I have been waiting for! Hype to see the final result. Wouldn't mind helping test it since I speedrun the Jaguar port.. 😅

On 9/18/2019 at 1:35 PM, famicommander said:

My oh my, what have we here?

image.thumb.png.2b3797418f975094a7fb9398

Considering how tough the RAM limits are on the PSX version, man, I'd hate to see how few monsters you can get with a Cyberdemon in the Jaguar one.

27 minutes ago, famicommander said:

No idea, but they did say that the game runs fine with both a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind at the same time.

That would be some crazy hackery then, as not even the PSX version can handle that.