Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dany the penguin >QB<

No rest for the living discussion

No rest for the living was an expansion pack released for doom 2 with it's xbla re-release and packaged with doom 3 bfg edition, I personally loved it more than the master levels, it had plenty of levels with massive maps and enemies packed to the brim within their walls, though the pacing was slightly slower than doom 2, I think it's good for the gameplay as it allows the player to mow down enemies yet not feel invincible.

Edited by Dany the penguin >QB< : I accidentally hit enter when a pre-existing set of content from an unused topic.

2 hours ago, Dany the penguin >QB< said:

it had plenty of levels with massive maps

It is cool, yes, but it's just 9 maps, isn't it?

Doom Master Levels are in a weird position since they are not very convenient to play with, but TBH, there are some good maps I like in that pack with the year of release taken into consideration.

NRFTL seems more consistent in terms of feeling since it's a pack rather than a bunch of single maps. The only thing that I don't really like about NRFTL is that they don't give you a backpack until the very last moment, considering in Map06 and Map07, you need to deal with quite a bit of medium weight stuff. Also, the boss fight is a little bit anti-climatic because of the given Invulnerability.

My favorite map is Map09. I really like the feeling of unfolding a map with your progression.

This is one of my favorite official map packs. It might not look as pretty as Plutonia Project or even TNT, but the level design is pretty damn solid.

On 9/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, GarrettChan said:

Doom Master Levels are in a weird position since they are not very convenient to play with, but TBH, there are some good maps I like in that pack with the year of release taken into consideration.

NRFTL seems more consistent in terms of feeling since it's a pack rather than a bunch of single maps. The only thing that I don't really like about NRFTL is that they don't give you a backpack until the very last moment, considering in Map06 and Map07, you need to deal with quite a bit of medium weight stuff. Also, the boss fight is a little bit anti-climatic because of the given Invulnerability.

My favorite map is Map09. I really like the feeling of unfolding a map with your progression.

NRFTL map 9 is awesome. For me, it is the benchmark for secret levels. Everything about it screams 'fun'. Sadly, too many secret levels try to emulate 'Go 2 It' from Plutonia

Maps 5 & 6 on Nightmare difficulty were a wild ride for sure

25 minutes ago, Horus said:

too many secret levels try to emulate 'Go 2 It' from Plutonia

I mean, secret levels now and secret levels back then seem to have different feeling to me. For now, I feel like secret levels are just some special slots that you don't need to play since skipping level or whatever is known to everybody. Back then, you probably need to take some effort in order to get into the secret level, relatively.

Back then, secret levels are meant to be special IMO, Ep3 has a Cyberdemon, which is supposed to be a boss (of course Ep4 ruins everything lol), or Doom 2 has Wolfenstein homage, or Plutonia has the slaughter map in action. Outside of IWADs, it seems Alien Vendetta Map31 is memorable to me. Right now, the specialty of secret levels is significantly lower than before. In NRFTL, I think they are going for the old style one, in where there's the only Spider Mastermind, but I guess this is not enough to say it's special enough.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, Horus said:

NRFTL map 9 is awesome. For me, it is the benchmark for secret levels. Everything about it screams 'fun'. Sadly, too many secret levels try to emulate 'Go 2 It' from Plutonia

Maps 5 & 6 on Nightmare difficulty were a wild ride for sure

I was just about to make a thread about this very level (March of the Demons level 9) until I saw this thread,  I literally play through NRFTL just for that one level.  Is there any other wads floating around in it's ilk and NRFTL in general?

I feel the secret map is a bit under rated.  Vivisection on the other hand is my favorite map.   

I love NRFTL, probably my favorite official mapset. It does a great job at being modern while still being classic, if that makes sense.

Favorite maps are Vivisection and Baron's Banquet, though all of the levels are really good.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:15 PM, Lizardcommando said:

This is one of my favorite official map packs. It might not look as pretty as Plutonia Project or even TNT, but the level design is pretty damn solid.

May not look as pretty? I think the NRFTL looks great! Plutonia has the same art style for the whole megawad basically. And TNT has some really bad filler maps.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:57 PM, VGA said:

May not look as pretty? I think the NRFTL looks great! Plutonia has the same art style for the whole megawad basically. And TNT has some really bad filler maps.

Well, I thought the hell levels in NRFTL were ok, not super mind blowing. I liked the first three levels for sure and that secret map was really cool.

However, I actually liked Plutonia's overall jungle-like art style. I do agree about TNT. There were some forgettable maps in there.

I was first introduced to doom in the form of doom 2 on xbox arcade, so nrftl was one of my first experiences and it blew me away. It set the benchmark for what i expected from doom maps for the rest of time. i loved the difficulty and cool secrets that connected the map. Like seriously, entire areas of the map that are completely optional is something i wish people did more often nowadays. also for me, each enemy encounter was a big event, not just another monster to kill. its still one of my favorite wads of all time and the best commercially released doom wad imo.

favorite map is map05