Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

I've played through the KFC dating sim and can say that it's fantastic

Games like these make me feel like the world we live in is a simulation, only instead of the Matrix we've got some messed up parody of reality, designed by someone tripping sky high on hard drugs.

LOL!!! Jesus Christ. I honestly don't what to say except that maybe could it get any more bizarre than this? A dating game around a chicken franchise?

"Hey baby , can I rub you down in chicken grease and nibble you to the bone?" that's  a sure fire pick up line I'm sure.

You mean seeing an art form you deeply care about reduced to cynical corporate cash-ins bothers you? What are you, a commie?!

Just because the game is being published by KFC, doesn't mean the game will be bereft of creativity and heart. The art style certainly looks really good. At the very least, I expect to enjoy this more than my time playing through Doki Doki Literature Club. 

There's something appealing about games based on fast foods, cereal brands, soft drinks, etc. besides just the joking and the trolling. There used to be a lot of them in the 90's and there was something cool about them. I think it's a nerdy thing.

Someone realized Chex Quest did good business for what's that cereal's name? Raisin Bran? Yeah KFC dating simulator will be popular for decades to come. KFC has been trying weird things like dressing celebrities in the outfit. They should make a mascot platformer where the mascot has to gather orders and deliver them to customers.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:25 AM, Eurisko said:

LOL!!! Jesus Christ. I honestly don't what to say except that maybe could it get any more bizarre than this?

Well there's some weirder stuff on Steam like that Goat Simulator and that Mount Your Friends game where you have to get on top of the other player and that Shower with Your Dad game and other strangeness....

11 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Well there's some weirder stuff on Steam like that Goat Simulator and that Mount Your Friends game where you have to get on top of the other player and that Shower with Your Dad game and other strangeness....

I’ve played goat simulator which I believe the devs were originally trying to create a spiritual successor to Tony Hawk Pro Skateboarding? 

I’ve never heard of ‘Shower with your Dad’ LOL!!! Sounds very disturbing 

On 9/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, geo said:

Where's our DOOM VN? Where we are the new Doomguy in Hell with various demons to date in school and a secret admirer that gives him lost souls?

HDoom

On 9/15/2019 at 3:33 AM, Eurisko said:

I’ve never heard of ‘Shower with your Dad’ LOL!!! Sounds very disturbing

Ya pretty strange stuff. It's only a $1.09 on Steam but I'm not buying it. lol

8 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

Ya pretty strange stuff. It's only a $1.09 on Steam but I'm not buying it. lol

Nah , me neither lol!

On 9/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, esselfortium said:

As an indie visual novel developer, the flood of "ironic dating sim" parodies has been like the commercial gamedev equivalent of that few years when every five minutes there was another explosion of press for Brutal Doom, while everything else being made in the community was completely ignored.

have you released a visual novel? My enjoyment of your doom projects makes me curious to play one

On 9/16/2019 at 3:28 PM, Doom_Dude said:

You could always gift it to somebody. haha. ;)

I get gifted all kinds of terrible games. A lot of the games are okay or fair, but have that name to hook you into leaving it as a gift. That and sales for 69 cents.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:36 PM, Master O said:

Where's the Doomworld Dating Sim?  

Only in my mind Master O! Some of us give real world gifts to one another like the passing of the Hissy torch and others make people animated avatars with hearts to spice up the Doomworld Dating Sim:

xZh2c7J.thumb.gif.8284b68ab56681cd0a3aa1

For those interested, KFC's gaming Twitter page is giving out Modern Warfare BETA codes at the moment.

Edited by Ajora

When I first noticed this thread, I kinda had this "roll eyes reflex", because I was pretty much expecting that, whatever product would come out of this, it would turn out to be a half-assed mess that is only going to end up being a "PR-stunt".

Having said that, I couldn't resist having a look at the trailer, and what I see there doesn't give me much hope that it's more than a mere PR-affair. Honestly the trailer does an amazing job of not showing anything that would give an insight into the quality of the work. Dating sims, much like visual novels, come alive by way of animation of facial expressions and voice acting, ideally with a fitting soundtrack that compliments or (even better) enhances the mood, without these things it's merely pictures and text boxes. Adding to the impression (or lack thereof) is that the characters themselves are far less detailed than the environments in the background, to the point where they almost look featureless and out of place, which makes things seem very "plastic-y" to me.

Look, I get that it's free and everything, but that doesn't mean that it must not be subjected to scrutiny. If this thing blows, and there's a reasonably high possibility that it will, it's going to make the life of other studios harder. Not only is it getting a whole lot more attention than it might deserve (even though that remains to be seen) on an already oversaturated platform, it's also going to be the first contact some folks will make with this genre by virtue of being for free, and a bad first impression simply doesn't help anybody.

So, all things considered, I see very little reason for excitement, and at the same time I hope it doesn't keep people from approaching dating sims or visual novels in the future, assuming it blows.

Visual novels are at the very bottom of interactive media that interests me (I don't consider them games), but I can say that Planetarian is really fucking good. I'm also hoping that the Angel Beats visual novel gets a North American release. 

After 1.8 hours of playtime, I have finished playing through this interactive visual novel. The game has an Overwhelmingly Positive review aggregate on Steam and it's fully warranted. This visual novel is funny, well-written and really heartfelt. I highly recommend that everyone check this out. I only wish that it was a little longer. 

Edited by Ajora