Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PasokonDeacon

[BOOM, now on idgames] Lithubristics Under Sanguine Twilight (my first large SP map)

I've reached the final pre-idgames version! Special thanks to HAK3180 for his playthrough, which alerted me to quite a few problems I've now fixed. In particular, there's more signposting on map progress, some redesigned/new areas, and a lot more ammo where necessary. Please give this map a shot!

RC2 download

Excuse my laziness , I just checked the layout on doombuilder but I can say it's a really good work for a first map ! Maybe I will play this later. You have a good sense a detailing.

I played again - a quick IDDQD run. I finished 94/76/57. Progression was much better. The 3-key door and the exit signs make a huge difference. Still, the switch by the backpack that opens the exit area needs to be more obvious, I think. Is that the only reason I didn't properly finish last time? It might be, and I almost missed it again. Also, there's a midspace middle texture area that is not impassable that seems like it was supposed to be. It's by the all-3 door. 

Ammo was definitely better. I tried not to be meticulous about getting all the pickups and I tried to be somewhat wasteful to counteract the god mode. There were times when the ammo was uncomfortable but never downright horrible. I also found the cyberfrag secret, not that I wasted 200 cells on him last time either. The ammo was a little weird though. A number of times when I wouldn't have used plasma, I didn't have anything else. I guess that makes sense since I had god mode on, but it does seem like the balance is skewed toward plasma and could perhaps use a little less of that and more shells and rockets. Bullets were pretty abundant too. I think it's pretty hard to do too many shells or bullets in a map like this. Good stuff. Looking forward to more.

Issues duly noted. Here's a hotfix update.

RC2a download

I'll try to go less crazy with plasma ammo next time. Part of the problem comes down to a lack of space in some encounters for effectively using rockets without splashing yourself to death. More room and less lost souls will help.

Awesome map! It radiates a sense of fun and enthusiasm throughout. Very reminiscent of complexly connected maps in the late-90s/early-00s style. No complaints about balance, took me ~35min to beat (found a whopping 0/7 secrets, I guess I'm not very perceptive -.-). Ammo felt rather scarce in the beginning, though that issue went away once I found a zerk. I like how there's a surplus of health items, encourages wackier play and gives you some wiggle room for traversing some of the jankier areas. The dark cavern section was particularly memorable.

Some playthrough feedback later (courtesy of @Bridgeburner56, @leodoom85, @LowGcifer, and @skepticist), I've got a new and improved version of the map for y'all.

RC2b download

7 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

Awesome map! It radiates a sense of fun and enthusiasm throughout. Very reminiscent of complexly connected maps in the late-90s/early-00s style. No complaints about balance, took me ~35min to beat (found a whopping 0/7 secrets, I guess I'm not very perceptive -.-). Ammo felt rather scarce in the beginning, though that issue went away once I found a zerk. I like how there's a surplus of health items, encourages wackier play and gives you some wiggle room for traversing some of the jankier areas. The dark cavern section was particularly memorable.

Glad you enjoyed it! I've yet to play many newer releases, so that era of mapping looms large over my style for the moment. It seems like I should insert the berserk earlier, especially if that staves off my desire to flood the player with health pickups vs. ammo.

Fun play, Suitepee! You definitely needed Boom compatibility for the run (which you fixed!), as seen with the red door switch not raising properly. I definitely intended for all those deaf monsters to catch you off guard, or least modulate player pacing through the map. Gotta say, the best part was seguing right into Well of Souls but the A-ROCK textures become FIREBLU for some reason.

For anyone previously bemused, here's the list of secrets:

Spoiler

#1 (sector 81): Hidden false-wall platform with Soulsphere; use linedef 102 (flickering computer wall recessed into tech apparatus close by) to lower into view.

#2 (sector 530): Visible but blocked-off plasma gun, attainable by using linedef 2323 (flashing computer console wall close by) to lower sector onto nukage floor.

#3 (sector 124): Somewhat hidden blue armor, tucked into a sector that conspicuously doesn't lower with the others in the room; simply plop into it from above!

#4 (sector 2034): Berserk hidden in plain sight atop a waterfall in the nature section; reaching it requires entering the waterfall in the quarry, leading you to a large optional section and part two of the nature section trap (feat. mancubus and other nasties).

#5 (sector 1189): Cybie's guarding the megasphere! You can kill the cybie and grab it OR, by jumping onto the backpack platform in the altar room, cross a hidden teleport to telefrag instead and save ammo.
#6 (sector 2307): Teleport to and from the outermost courtyard. At end of the exit area fight, a floor lowers inside the unmarked shoot-switch secret, opening access to a teleport warping you into the damaging-floor electric workings of the start area's tech apparatus. Use the transparent wall on the other side to open a room with a demonic teleporter and its guard, leading you to the secret.

#7 (sector 483): Floor lowers here following the exit fight, giving access to a BFG attainable by leaving the exit area (either via part of secret #6 or taking the long way around via lift and stairs) and returning to the alternate entrance to the nukage platforms room.

Nearly a year later, I'm releasing one final, newly polished version before submitting PASOLUST.wad to idgames! You can find the latest release in the OP.

PASOLUST_806_30082020_105453.png.58365c97961f1aa5a260e6f9cb435b84.png

Be sure to give this one a shot if you're hankering for a thoroughly early-2000s Doom II adventure blast-a-thon. I'm open to feedback and potential fixes before FTP transmittal, so please give some testing feedback on anything major.

PASOLUST_814_30082020_105648.png

I'm currently working on maps for The Modest Mapping Challenge 2, Steve was Slain, and Oops! All Greyboxes, but this map and other upcoming standalone releases are in the works.

hi. i may found a bug in the very first room. all pits in the same room have the bug. played your map, though not finished yet. found it to be quite an exhilarating experience. rather good for a first map. a big thank you for the awesome work.

Screenshot_Doom_20210411_205330.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210411_205352.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210411_205359.png

Now up on idgames! Big thanks to the new gamers.org file upload portal for leaving me with no more excuses.

It's funny just how easily I notice my first-time mistakes in this map, years after the fact. Apologies to anyone who finds it a bit cramped in places, though I think the flow's still solid enough.