Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2019 - The month-long mapping challenge (that's a wrap!)

Didn't state it here so I'll say I'll be back this year creating a Bloodite killer WAD. 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, Misty said:

It's really tempting to join this project, I have few ideas for my "igaite" sequel map or 2 of them in similar manner as first one, but with portals or at least with more custom stuff in eternity engine. But in other hand, uni takes more of my time, commitment, preparations and I'm afraid of giving vain promises. I'll give myself more time to think about this. 

Quoting myself and I decided that I'll join this challenge even if it means I'll have 2-3 playable maps. 

Sing me up! I don't think i could make more than a couple of maps in one month but i'll give it my best.

I'd like to sign up for it. It will give me a good opportunity to practice my map making skills.

One week until kickoff! Still plenty of time to join. Everyone who's already said they're in should be on the list in the OP, but if I missed you just give me a poke.

32 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Does anyone participating plan on streaming their mapping process over the course of the month?

Not my place to answer probably but in the discord for this event, there has been quite a bit of discussion on whether people will be streaming or not - a few might stream, myself included, I expect there will be some streams over the course of the project yes.

With less than a week left, I decided to do this again...only this time I'm going to attempt a Heretic episode. 

here's my rough plan for the month:

• 3 separate projects, hopefully 5 maps each. might do a 4th episode in the last week of the month if I have ideas left still
    • 1st episode: singleplayer remakes of my favorite UDM3 maps, maybe also sort of mixed with Italo Doom-ish gameplay, using Minicharge. going to try to make this one balanced for multiplayer too if I feel up to it
    • 2nd episode: OTEX forest temple-themed episode with Chrono Trigger/Cross midis, using Supercharge
    • 3rd episode: not sure yet - maybe something gimmicky, like tiny low monster count challenge maps with some of my favorite tracker module music. or maybe more singleplayer recreations of my favorite maps from STCTF or STLMS. or maybe a no-health episode. maybe a generic Darken 2-esque techbase episode with more incidental combat. will probably use Supercharge, whatever it ends up being
  • every map in every episode will be a ~30 min speedmap, more time is ok though if I get into it
  • each week is broken up into 5 weekdays for the mapping + 2 weekend days for refinement, where the weekend days have no set schedule

if I can, I'd like to do some preliminary planning for each map. might just be thinking of a core fight setup in advance, but might also be a more detailed sketch. anything I can do to lessen the burden when it comes time to actually open Doom Builder is ok in my book. I've been collecting screenshots and encounter ideas over the past few months by watching various demos on youtube, so I have a decent catalogue of ideas to use I think.

if things go really well, I'd hopefully end up with 3 small beta-quality projects by the end of the month. but even with the 30-minute speedmap target, I still feel like this is pretty ambitious for me, so we'll see what happens

On 9/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Does anyone participating plan on streaming their mapping process over the course of the month?

I most certainly am. Streaming every day is one of my (admittedly ambitious) goals

I think I'm going to give this a try since I won't be releasing anything else this year.

I mean, making 30 maps in one month cannot be THAT hard...   right?

sign me up to make one trillion maps!
(reality check) maybe I could use the nine midis i managed to make last time before running out of energy lol

Right now what I'm thinking is...

• Doom II, since I mapped for Doom last year
  • Boom format, intended for limit-removing ports
  • Using @ukiro's OTEX resource pack
  • I made it to five maps last year, so 30 is probably not realistic; if I can do 11 (up to the second intermission text screen) or 8 (the first intermission text screen, plus MAP07 for the special triggers and a boss map thereafter) I'll be pretty well satisfied

Plans may change if other inspiration should strike.

Since people start to talk about their project, I'll give you some info about what I have in mind...

• IWAD: DOOM2
  • Source port: Limit Removing port such as Crispy Doom
  • 16 maps
  • Theme: Plutonia style, but not that hard and with gritty / ice instead of the "jungle" theme, there's new monsters as well! Working on the source wad, just gathering sprites from Realm 667 and other places from the net or other games I have
  • All maps are restricted to 300 lines maximum, plus them will use and been inspired by the doom 2 stock music

I guess, I should reveal my plans too for upcoming month:

• Iwad: Doom 2
  • Target engine: Eternity Engine
  • 2-7 maps. I plan make 7 maps - 5 normal and 2 as secret, but knowing time restrains for me, I might end up making couple of them.
  • Themes: your traditional doom 2 looks + patched up texture pack, few additional textures from other sources, few new skies. Also, few new sprites, palette. For secret maps, I'll use different textures.
  • I don't plan much of restrictions besides not go above 10k linedefs and keep monster count reasonable.

It will look like this, I shared screenshots from my mapping scrap(it will end in my october project):

Spoiler

etrn318.png

etrn317.png

One map is a good, attainable goal!

I'm going to experiment with the amazing OTEX set for the first time myself - I'm planning on a set of six levels that can be played in any order from a hub. The idea I've wanted to try for a while is to take the song titles from an album and base the levels around them :)

To give full disclosure, I've given myself a bit of a head start because I'll be away at the end of October (and am currently dad to a toddler, further reducing the time I'm likely to work on this!) - I've made myself a ZDoom template that I can build maps into, and I hope this stays within the spirit of preparing a "content pack" before official start. Anyone is welcome to use the assets in here for any project, or the whole structure if you'd like to make a hub-based WAD as well.

http://teamouse.net/games/doom/hubtemplate.zip

The template is built so that a player can enter any of the six levels from the hub, and they need to retrieve a big key from each one - there is one additional key in the hub itself. All other inventory is reset when changing levels, enforcing pistol starts. Once all seven keys have been placed in the hub, a door opens, unlocking the way to the exit (or a boss if I have the time and inclination!)

Edited by DavidN : Specifying this is for ZDoom

I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of ideas such a fresh mind may bring to the table!

I'm still not entirely certain what exactly I'll do for the event... I'm mostly thinking of something small and vanilla, but I also want to give it some kind of unique defining feature to not make it completely unmemorable.

I'm going to try and do this, with a personal twist: I'm not gonna worry about texturing, detail sectors, or thing placement.  Rather, I'm just going to get each level to the point where the automap is complete and one can follow the major path(s) throughout the level.

This is because this is precisely where I usually get bogged down in my attempts at any sort of mapping project: I'll go one room (or one small area) at a time, trying to fully realize my goal for the visuals of each room, and then move on to the next area.  Inevitably, I start approaching burnout before I get too much done in the way of complete levels.

So instead, I'm going to try and crank out some full-length rough drafts, if you will, of maps.  Then I'll have a stock of rough maps that I can perhaps, someday, go back and work on fleshing out.

I will be focusing on making 2 boss maps for nanowadmo, 1 for Elementalism and 1 for the Age of Hell. 2 maps in a month doesn't sound like much but that is lightning fast for me :D I'm not too concerned about getting to gameplay as these encounters are heavily scripted boss fights and rely on input from other team members so I'll be happy to get the layout close to done for both of these. 

First up, the fire episode of ElementalismIMG_20190924_125516.jpg.38f73c5901c7e5659c2384a7223a6bea.jpg

Then will be episode 1 of AoH

IMG_20190919_124204.jpg.3225e2696104392ece1c91b2b19328d4.jpg

Just rough concept sketches to start with but definitely enough to get rolling pretty quick. Looking forward to getting this show on the road. 

Edited by Bridgeburner56

Updating my blurb:

Bloodite Krypto does great FDAs and survives all maps? 11 maps, 11 chances to die at his bane - slaughterwads. 

Plans for October:

1. Finish Doom II: 25 Years on Earth
  2. 3+ map ZDoom project
    1. Uses a pre-mixed Boom-compat texture pack I've put together
    2. I say 3+ because I think I'll be starting very late due to 25YoE

Well, I think I have my resource .wad put together for what is going to be tomorrow here in the UK. I anticipate confusion and derision about some of my bizarre choices/ideas here. ;)

Hey, is it too late to join in? If not, sign me up for a doom 2 episode! I'm looking to do 12 maps + custom music.

So far I'm planning to make a small classic-style, Boom-compatible Doom II episode I'm calling (Call Me) Deacon Dooms. The plan involves up to 7 maps using the 32 in 24-15: DWANGO Unchained resource pack, but I don't know if that means finishing bare layouts for all the maps, plus some texturing/placement, or a few relatively finished maps plus rough drafts of the rest. I'm also using this period to experiment with GZ Doom Builder Bugfix now that I've used Doom Builder X to understand how many classic tricks/techniques work. Expect some more robust, old-fashioned level designs since I'm still working through my Cacoward backlog (finally got up to Kama Sutra!).

30 minutes ago, _sink said:

Hey, is it too late to join in? If not, sign me up for a doom 2 episode! I'm looking to do 12 maps + custom music.

You can join through the latter part of October, IIRC. The Discord invite's open!