Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2019 - The month-long mapping challenge (that's a wrap!)

Is it to late to join? I've only started making maps recently and want to improve my skills. I think NaNoWADMo is a great opportunity to force myself to make a few maps so that I can get better at it. Because I'm new to making maps I'm going to try and make some smaller, fast paced maps similar to Scythe.

2 minutes ago, DragoKnot4200 said:

Is it to late to join? I've only started making maps recently and want to improve my skills. I think NaNoWADMo is a great opportunity to force myself to make a few maps so that I can get better at it. Because I'm new to making maps I'm going to try and make some smaller, fast paced maps similar to Scythe.

I don't think there any rules about how late you can join, so go ahead!

It's not too late, but I hope you have some planning done if you're thinking of making lots of maps! The reason why I say that is because you can run out of ideas quickly if you don't have any ideas whatsoever. But still, go for it if you feel like it @DragoKnot4200!

Is it okay if I start work on my WAD at midnight tonight?

18 minutes ago, E.M. said:

Is it okay if I start work on my WAD at midnight tonight?

Go for it, I started mine 5 hours early. It's more about the experience than the rules

Starting my map for Nanowadmo (I wont spam twitch announcements here so drop a follow if you want to keep up with the shenanigans)

To let you know what I'm planning to do:

-I'm making a boom what with no custom stuff (only doom 2 textures and monsters).

-Mostly short maps so that I can hopefully get 30 done.

-The gimmick is that on each map, there's at least 2 of each key that are present in the map, same for weapons, also there's at least 2 exit linedefs. Since the maps will be short and a lot of stuff will be optional, it should be possible to beat them rather quickly.

-I'll call this wad "redundancy".

16 hours ago, DragoKnot4200 said:

20 hours ago, _sink said:

Hey, is it too late to join in? If not, sign me up for a doom 2 episode! I'm looking to do 12 maps + custom music.

Absolutely not. It wasn't even past midnight in most of the world when you asked. I've signed you up!

Good luck to everyone! Don't forget to have fun!

Oda7imQ.png

day 1 complete! no idea if I'll be able to keep to any sort of schedule, my confidence seems to fluctuate a lot. but I've got one done :D also shared some wee footage here:

Yesterday I started to draw layout for first map and I hope I'll finish this for today :

what_another_eternity_map_at_2019.10.01_

On 10/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, Philnemba said:

Today I started my attempt at making a vanilla Heretic episode.

Mmmm, love those. Though the front of that ship might be a tad too square lol

When they ask what's inside your head:

etrn329.png

(It's not that complicated for the real, I promise)

didn't end up making any more maps during the week, so I made two maps today, bringing me to a total of 3 so far.

heavily inspired by UDM3 MAP01:

S3XpA8q.png

and another inspired by map05:

MMWlmF0.png

also posted some gameplay on twitter:

Edited by Tango

I decided to move on and leave map02 for later and make map03, which is supposed to be hell. I'm aiming for traditional looks and quirkiness, but use plenty of eternity engine stuff. 

etrn339.png
etrn340.png

etrn338.png

First part is done! Theme is cavern with some techbase element:

Spoiler

doom01.png?width=400&height=300 doom03.png?width=400&height=300 Annotazione_2019-10-01_223732.png?width=

MAP01

Annotazione_2019-10-02_000813.png?width=

MAP02 (only map layout)

doom08.png?width=400&height=300 doom12.png?width=400&height=300 Annotazione_2019-10-06_011141.png?width=

MAP03

doom00.png?width=400&height=300 doom05.png?width=400&height=300Annotazione_2019-10-03_231705.png?width=

MAP04 (map layout changed a little from the picture)

Annotazione_2019-10-07_234336.png?width= doom00.png?width=400&height=300 doom01.png?width=400&height=300

MAP05

Annotazione_2019-10-11_005749.png?width= doom04.png?width=400&height=300 doom06.png?width=400&height=300

MAP06 (Boss map - Ending chapter level)

Lots of spoiler picture above!

boxd025.png.fd36f127789b3b0684f7936199ba4de8.png

started this map a week ago saying "i'll just make a quick cave map to bolster the set" lol it is still growing
i think it wants to be the final map

got three smaller finished maps and a new MIDI to show too, hope to give you all something weird before November

Great work so far everyone.

Things are not moving so smoothly for Dylan and me. One very small map each so far. I'm not sure we will have a release at the end of the month but we've had some fun.

Halfway there! How's everyone doing? I've seen so many awesome maps so far and we've still got more than two weeks to go!

11 hours ago, purist said:

Things are not moving so smoothly for Dylan and me. One very small map each so far. I'm not sure we will have a release at the end of the month but we've had some fun.

If you're having fun then you're doing something right. Two maps is good progress!

On 10/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, yakfak said:

hope to give you all something weird before November

Can't wait :)

On 10/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, Voltcom said:

Well it's October 12th and I think I've completed my episode. (9 maps, 8 regular and 1 secret)

Beautiful work! I'll play it as soon as I have a chance.

1 hour ago, Ryath said:

How's everyone doing?

The "mapping fatigue" phenomenon happened here since the last map, which took longer than planned. Might start something in a few days but I won't push myself to have anything complete by the end of the month, sorry! :/

2 hours ago, Ryath said:

How's everyone doing?

for me, I've got 5 maps done, so I've been able to fulfill at least half of my original plan for the month ;D still considering whether I want to expand on these 5 maps and turn it into an 8 or 10 map episode before the month ends, but time will tell

10 hours ago, Ryath said:

How's everyone doing

Halfway done, 8 maps done, 8 more to go!

This evening I'll make MAP09 layout... The theme I choose for this map section is... More difficult to do than I've expected. But it could just some "mapping fatigue" or else...

Whatever, everything goes fine so far

A measly 3 maps in and said maps each being even more so measly, I'm doubting that I can finish the episode within this month (I'm also going away early so I cannot utilise the full amount of time) - However I do wish to continue it as I'm having a good bit of fun with vanilla and these maps wouldn't have existed in the first place without this event! 

I was managing a small map every 3 days but I too am slowing down rather considerably.