Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kknot5889

Putting multiple doors on the same wall

Question

Ok, so I'm having a frustrating issue. I want a row of doors along the same wall all to open to the same room. I made two line defs the length of the wall, cut it into alternating 64s and 32s (the 32s are spaces inbetween the doors). I programmed each door the same way (15631) and none of them will open. They make the opening and closing sound and also move up maybe a few pixels. If I make each door individually they work properly, but placing the bits of wall inbetween them seems to screw them up. I've not had a single issue with doors until this point and I just can't figure it out.

What am I doing wrong?

8 answers to this question

I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason, doors only work when the linedefs beside them are one-sided -- if you have sectors in between the doors like I think you described, it won't work; there must be empty space in between the doors.

Doors open up to the nearest ceiling height available(minus 8). This means that if any of the sectors next to a door have too low ceilings, the door won't work properly.

It sounds like you accidentally make the spaces between the doors into sectors, and they're the fly in the ointment.

Doors raise to 8 units below the lowest neighboring ceiling. Let's suppose you have two rooms that have floor height 0, ceiling height 128. Then you make a door in between them. Door sector is normally floor height 0, ceiling height 0, in game when the door opens the ceiling height raises to 120. Fine so far.

Now say a wall next to the door is actually also a sector, with floor height 0, ceiling height 0. Now the door's lowest neighboring ceiling is height 0, so it will "raise" to -8, meaning the door will actually lower into the ground when you open it...

I remember running into this issue one time I wanted to have two different doors that were partially in contact with each other. Each door prevented the other from opening.

@Kappes Buur@maxmanium @Alper002 @Gez

Thanks for the quick replies! The space between the doors is definitely the problem now that you point it out. I'll have to fuss with it when I get home from work.

So to have multiple doors along the same wall would I have to maybe put like little 4 pixel 'false wall' sectors in front of the areas I want to be walls, leaving the actual area between the doors as voids? How do you guys go about putting multiple doors on a wall?

Thanks again for the help. Still trying to get the hang of this stuff.

30 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

So to have multiple doors along the same wall would I have to maybe put like little 4 pixel 'false wall' sectors in front of the areas I want to be walls

Maybe? Depends on whether you actually need such constructs in the first place.

Here's a simple example. Just two big empty and boring rooms, but with a bunch of doors on the wall in between them.

doors.zip

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Maybe? Depends on whether you actually need such constructs in the first place.

Here's a simple example. Just two big empty and boring rooms, but with a bunch of doors on the wall in between them.

doors.zip

Thanks a bunch! I will check that out tonight and make the proper changes. Really appreciate you taking the time.