Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Furries make Doom crash!

All right, you're all welcome to make fun of me for this if you like. Go ahead. =P Anyway, in my free time I either:

1. Chat/RP on mIRC
  2. Make or play Doom levels
  3. RP on Furcadia
  4. Play Pocket Tanks Deluxe

Now, if I run Furcadia and Doom at the same time, my computer crashes. I've tried running Legacy, jDoom, and ZDoom and as long as I have Furcadia running, my computer WILL crash. It usually happens either when I startup the program or right before the level would have loaded. I think it might have to do with the Doom wad file, since that's one thing all the ports have in common, but I can't see why it would crash when running with another program. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone know how to fix this? It'd be nice to work on my levels while roleplaying. And FYI, I have WinME, if that matters. =/

/me makes fun of you.

/me fails miserably.

just for a note, WinME is the worst ever.

/me hits use3d wit WinME Box

WinMe Is The Best Things Since SLiced Bread !!
havent had a problem ever, WAAAAAAAAAY more stable then win98

dont start a flame war now :)

I KNEW ravage would reply to my post. Furries and all. ^_^ But anyway, nobody has any idea what my problem is?

Nanami said:

I KNEW ravage would reply to my post. Furries and all. ^_^ But anyway, nobody has any idea what my problem is?

Great, jsut great. I'm too predictable now. :)

It can't be the WADs, since those are just static resource files. It occurred to me that it may be related to sound controller icompatibilities or contaminations between the DOOM engines and Furcadia, so try running the source engines with -nosound to see if the latter is the problem. Just an idea really it could be anything (and I don't really know what Furcadia does or uses up.)

It's an online (free) game for roleplaying or chatting or what have you, where you can be various furrie avatars. Uh, furcadia.com for more stuff about it...

Well, from what I read it does use sounds (and music?)

Since it happens just before loading things, couldn't it be a memory problem? Do you have a memory manager to check out your system resources?

Nanami said:

No. I need to get one. =/

Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Monitor

Edit -> Add Item -> Memory Manager -> Allocated Memory and press OK.

IMJack said:

Wow, thanks.

No, it doesn't seem to be a memory problem. mIRC, Winamp, IE, DeePsea, and ZDoom all running at once only use about 3/5. If I close DeePsea and ZDoom and run Furcadia, it's less than that. So together it wouldn't be bad. Especially considering that if I run Photoshop, I use WAY more memory than the two combined would use. =/

I guess, unless it just hogs up when the maps and stuff load. You could try that app I mentioned, which frees up memory on a continual and periodic basis (whereas windows usually does so when its getting pretty scarce.) I don't know if it'll help with that problem but it will certainly improve memory performance.

Thanks. I'll grab a copy from KaZaA. =P
And yeah, it's definately not a memory problem. Right now I have:
mIRC, Winamp, DeePsea, ZDoom, Adobe Photoshop, Pocket Tanks, SNES9x, FlashFXP, and IE open, and I still have memory to spare. Oh well. But what else could the problem be??

Heh, why KaZaA? The standard one is free shareware and can be used indefinitely.

It has to be something pretty generic to happen to the three source engines, that's one reason I thought about memory. Maybe video? Try using the engines with debug or 'lite' video modes, like zdoom with the -noptc parameter.

ooooo that Program sounds like music to my ears myk....DOOM Anomaly is gunna try it too :D

IMJack said:

...Bah, my puter no have System Monitor dee-lee, meh..

UPDATE: hmm 6mb Available Physical Memory...Thats good, right? ...Im only 13, and i only got 2 hours of sleep so im tired, and Im too lazy to figure it out...

DOOM Anomaly said:

hmm 6mb Available Physical Memory...Thats good, right? ...Im only 13, and i only got 2 hours of sleep so im tired, and Im too lazy to figure it out...

I got a memory manager from a friend and loaded it. It said I had 13MB free. I ran the program and it upped it to 86. =D

By the way, I still don't know what the problem is. I'm going to test it with Vavoom and see if it makes it crash as well. And SkullTag... Do that when I get home.

sparky said:

/me hits use3d wit WinME Box

WinMe Is The Best Things Since SLiced Bread !!
havent had a problem ever, WAAAAAAAAAY more stable then win98

dont start a flame war now :)

hahahahahahahahahahaha, being a tech support guy i know winMe is shity. I treat it like a beta of win2000. win2000 works better and linux beats both of them hands down, that is if u know how to use it. I will never agian use windows for a server. windowsME was a joke and not worth getting, the upgrade can be bought for $15. it has NO(yes i said it a thousand times but some of u dont get it) DOS support, only a kind of emulated DOS. it has nothing compared to win98 and comes nowere near win2000/XP, its only advantage is an updated drivers list.

anyway, what the hell is with all this furry shit?!

The post is saying that I can't run Doom levels and Furcadia at the same time. Furcadia is an online game with furries, so that's where it came from, Seph.

Anyway, I tested today and it turns out that the following ports crash if Furcadia is up: ZDoom, jDoom, Legacy, and probably SkullTag, since it's essentailly ZDoom. I didn't want to test it on behalf of my poor computer.

VaVoom does NOT crash the computer if Furcadia is open. I find this odd. Still nobody knows why?

Nanami, I don't mean to hijack your post, but I have to put a stop to this mindless mindlessness.

Sephiroth, first of all, your nickname irritates the fuck out of me. Try to be a little more original. And yes, I'm aware that FF7 is not the origin of the name, but don't even begin to try and tell me that's not where you got it.

Second of all, you are constantly spreading misinformation and trying to take the 'elite' high ground. "Linux si bettar than windoze" is a retarded flag to carry and I'm tired of seeing you, someone who knows absolutely nothing about any sort of Linux, carry that banner with zero idea what you're talking about. You constantly down windows, with no regard for the fact that for most day-to-day applications, Windows is a platform far superior to any Linux. You continue to claim that Windows ME has no DOS support, when in fact it itself is DOS-based. You go on and on about Windows 2000 with no regard for Windows XP, which any real technician will tell you is far superior to Windows 2000 in virtually every area.

Third of all - a lot of people around here used to mock people (esco, Lord BazTard, others) for the way they typed. I think that kind of argument is stupid, personally, but allow me to be hypocritical for a moment - LEARN TO SPELL AND TYPE PROPERLY. KEYBOARDING CLASS MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Now, I could just as easily ban you, but I'm not. You haven't done anything I could ban you for and doing such would simply be an abuse of the trust Linguica has placed in me to moderate his forums. I'm even sure a few other people would rejoice if I did so. But I'll be nice for a moment and admit that you do bring a certain bit of technical knowledge with all your lameness, and you're also a pretty nice guy. In fact, as you're reading this, you're probably thinking "why me?" Why? Because I'm a rude bitch, and you irritate me.

I'm not going to ban you or start deleting your posts if you don't shape up your act - in fact, I'm probably not going to do anything to you at all. This isn't a threat, it's a request - stop posting these bullshit messages, go learn something you didn't hear from a friend, read on a forum, or read on a website constructed in Netscape Composer and hosted on Geocities, and after a keyboarding class or two, when you've got a clue, come back and tell me about it.

KLS

Nanami, as a fellow fur I feel a bit obligated to at least attempt to answer your question.

I haven't tried Furcadia (I feel like less of a furré for it, but feh, I can't be arsed), but tell me - does it use any DirectX functions? If so, there might be conflicting DX calls being made. I know for a fact that all of the ports you listed make extensive use of DirectX. Otherwise, it could be a problem with your sound hardware, of all things. Does Furcadia make any sound, or is it more like a terminal thing (MUCK-style)? If it makes any sounds, it's likely a conflict with your sound hardware. Try running zdoom.exe -nosound and see if the problem continues.

Hope that helps.

KLS

Furcadia makes sounds, but I always have it disabled. I’ll try doing that when I get home to see if I can get it to run without crashing. Thanks for the help. =) Hopefully I can get it to run without crashing my poor Millie. Oh, and... I'm fairly sure it doesn't use DirectX.

And I KNOW it’s IRC. It’s Internet Relay Client or something of the like. I said mIRC because that’s what I use. I don’t use pIRCh, dIRC, vIRC, or anything else, so I was being specific.

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

This thread is disturbing, though kat's stories turn me on :P

You want smacked?!?