Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inf3cted

Balanced wads with loads of ammo and health that are fair on UV

Recommended Posts

Well, that's definitely a blanket statement. Do you have any specific examples?

Share this post


Link to post

Modern wads with 'loads of ammo and health' also tend to have some fair degree of intensity -- or be . . . """slaughtery""" . . . 
   

Try Valiant. If that is (or was) too much, it is a sign you should revise what you are looking for, or be willing to drop down difficulties. Lunatic and Violence are simultaneously as generous with pickups and more chill. Counterattack perhaps. But your choices are limited. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

What's your attitude when you post this thread? If you really want to improve yourself, there are lots of wad for you to progress. If you only want to complain, then oh well.

 

Some of the WADs' difficulty just above Plutonia (only IMO):

Vanguard

Ancient Aliens

Alien Vendetta (only some later maps, early maps are probably the same tier)

Back to Saturn X (some Ep1 maps, most of Ep2 maps)

Edited by GarrettChan

Share this post


Link to post

If you need something easier, you can find a few WADs in the thread below. And, in case you want more than a shooting gallery, there are also some suggestions there. Also, if nothing else helps, simply don't be the guy to not dial down the difficulty lol

 

Share this post


Link to post

I apologize in that I slightly misinterpreted the message this thread was trying to get across. However, I would assert that there are plenty of difficult maps that are well balanced and have plenty of ammo and health. High difficulty doesn't necessarily mean unfair. 

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Modern wads with 'loads of ammo and health' also tend to have some fair degree of intensity -- or be . . . """slaughtery""" . . . 
   

Try Valiant. If that is (or was) too much, it is a sign you should revise what you are looking for, or be willing to drop down difficulties. Lunatic and Violence are simultaneously as generous with pickups and more chill. Counterattack perhaps. But your choices are limited. 

 

Lunatic,Violence,and Counterattack were wads I played and liked...and Valiant is one wad I been meaning to play for a long time and unfortunately I have not too many choices, guess I will have to drop down to HMP to improve my skill set 

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Well, that's definitely a blanket statement. Do you have any specific examples?

Nothing in particular just gonna pick an authors style I favor e.g. Skillsaw

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I apologize in that I slightly misinterpreted the message this thread was trying to get across. However, I would assert that there are plenty of difficult maps that are well balanced and have plenty of ammo and health. High difficulty doesn't necessarily mean unfair. 

Right I played Plutonia 2 and maps I liked had high difficulty and high ammo/health/armor

Share this post


Link to post

You can have multiple quotes in one comment. Just drag-select the text you want to quote, or use the "multiquote" button (plus sign next to "Quote"). Spamming is bad, mmmkay?

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If you need something easier, you can find a few WADs in the thread below. And, in case you want more than a shooting gallery, there are also some suggestions there. Also, if nothing else helps, simply don't be the guy to not dial down the difficulty lol

 

Ah this thread hit the sweet spot just now, was looking for something like this and I have been dialing down the difficulty on BTSX ep 1 and Plutonia 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You can have multiple quotes in one comment. Just drag-select the text you want to quote, or use the "multiquote" button (plus sign next to "Quote"). Spamming is bad, mmmkay?

I will be aware of  that, thanks for heads up

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Inf3cted said:

I will be aware of  that, thanks for heads up

You say that in literally a double post...

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Inf3cted said:

guess I will have to drop down to HMP to improve my skill set 

 

You say this like it's a bad thing. Playing on UV isn't inherently better than playing on HMP or HNTR any more than NM is inherently better than UV. They exist to ensure that a map remains enjoyable for people of all skill levels. Each is as valid an experience as the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Inf3cted said:

Lots of modern wads are way too hard on UV, getting tired of save spamming

 

Even some older wads like Crusades are as very hard as well. Your ammo is fairly limited (killing those nasty shotgun guys do help) and get very little health.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, pcorf said:

 

Even some older wads like Crusades are as very hard as well. Your ammo is fairly limited (killing those nasty shotgun guys do help) and get very little health.

High skill set wad it is

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Inf3cted said:

High skill set wad it is

 

Yes, for experts. Crusades inspired me to make "Who Stole The Health" for TWZONE2.WAD and my recent map UNHEALTHY.

Share this post


Link to post

It can be hard to know what difficulty to choose because they mean different things to different WAD authors :) "Ultra-Violence" is the hard mode of the original Doom but is a positive cakewalk compared to Ultra-Violence on many of the WADs designed by and for players who have been doing this for the last 25 years. And when I play on anything but UV I worry that I'm neutering the experience of the map, if there was meant to be some big surprise but it's been watered down.

 

Sometimes I adjust the difficulty in a different way by loading this little thing in GZDoom with whatever WAD I'm playing - it's a tiny mod called "edge" that I use to just give myself an extra edge by raising the default maximum health and making healing items a bit more effective. The nice thing about Doom being so open is that you're free to customize your own experience :)

edge.zip

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, pcorf said:

 

Yes, for experts. Crusades inspired me to make "Who Stole The Health" for TWZONE2.WAD and my recent map UNHEALTHY.

I will check it out...how is your wad with over 1000 monsters, and urban setting

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, pcorf said:

 

Yes, for experts. Crusades inspired me to make "Who Stole The Health" for TWZONE2.WAD and my recent map UNHEALTHY.

I just played your map. It's a nice concept. You really put some thought to monster placement. I managed to get to the teleporter with 21% health.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×