Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PopeRigby

Editing sprites with Aseprite makes them jump up into the corner when viewed in game

Anyone else having this issue? I don't know how to fix it. It doesn't happen when I use MS Paint or something else.

Here's a video of it happening.

This appears to be an offset issue. You will need to apply relevant x-axis and y-axis values to "center" the weapon sprite. A resource editor such as SLADE can be used to apply the proper offset.

[I am not familiar with Aseprite, so I don't know why it messes up the offsets.]

as ReX notes, this does look like an offsets issue. every sprite in Doom has an x and y offset that determines its position on the screen. for most sprites, these offsets determine its position relative to the actual hitbox of the actor itself, but for weapons, the offsets determine the position of the weapon sprites on screen. making modifications to sprites in any image editor I've used seems to always clear the offset data from the image. this means that once you do your editing in ie Aseprite (which I have also used and does seem to regularly strip offsets out of images), you'll want to import the image into a wad/pk3 with Slade and fix the offsets there. here's a screenshot:

cG1LUJ8.png

note the Offsets area at the bottom (with values of -36 and -111), which align the punching sprites to the appropriate spot in the middle of the screen

unless you can find a way to make your image editing program preserve the offsets, then yeah unfortunately :( however, i think most folks generally always package their stuff up in wad/pk3 file anyway instead of running out of directories, so i think most folks dont experience this as as much of a pain point anyway haha

I'm source controlling the dir, so keeping it in a pk3 isn't really an option. I'm going to file a bug on Aseprite's repo.

1 minute ago, Tango said:

does that mean aseprite no longer clears sprite offsets when saving now?

Yes. I have a beta version with just that fix, but a full release with some other fixes should be coming this week.

that's fantastic! really cool that you were able to get em to fix it. however, in my earlier posts I forgot that Slade can also just open directories, so you should be able to actually edit image offsets without having to package it in a pk3 or wad or something - you just open the directory as if it's a pk3 and you ought to be able to manipulate everything the same way you would if it actually was a pk3. my bad D:

So is aseprite a new sprite editing programme? I've only started seeing mentions of it on here in the last couple of months. I'd be interested to know if I can finally replace my array of MSPaint installs.

11 hours ago, Phobus said:

So is aseprite a new sprite editing programme? I've only started seeing mentions of it on here in the last couple of months. I'd be interested to know if I can finally replace my array of MSPaint installs.

I think it's around 3 years old. It's very good, though. Much better suited to sprite editing than MSPaint. Be aware that it does cost around $20, but you can probably get it on sale. It's well worth it.

By the way, when you re-import a sprite (select sprite in archive, right-click->import, select modified external image), SLADE should let you keep the old offsets with the new image.